This was The Beatles' 76th lunchtime performance at the Cavern Club, the Liverpool cellar venue which would one day become world famous.
Although the group's lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm, this was the first of five experimental one-hour engagements, each featuring a single act. The entry charge for the shorter shows was one shilling (5p).
Overall this was The Beatles' 120th appearance at the Mathew Street club, including their late-night shows. Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 11
- 1968: Apple opens offices at 95 Wigmore Street, London
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Radio: The Talent Spot
- 1963: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1963: Radio: Pop Inn
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.