The Beatles gave their 71st lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 111th appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 1984: UK single release: Nobody Told Me by John Lennon
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day six
- 1968: Recording: Wonderwall Music by George Harrison
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Penny Lane
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: Live: The Beatles’ Christmas Show
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.