The Beatles gave their 69th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day. This was also their first show at the venue in 1962, and the 15th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows there.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 107th appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Beatles museum opens in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1970: Recording: I Me Mine
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day two
- 1964: Live: The Beatles’ Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Two Red Shoes Ballroom, Elgin, Scotland
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1926: George Martin is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.