The Beatles' second evening performance at Liverpool's Cavern Club took place on this date.
The group were supported by the White Eagle Jazz Band and Ian And The Zodiacs.
The Beatles didn't make an impression until I saw them that night. The long hours had knitted them together. I loved to hear Paul singing Besame Mucho. That was very different and it suited his voice. You can't really imagine a beat group doing Besame Mucho, but they did it very well.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Earlier in the day they had given a lunchtime performance at the club. This day saw The Beatles' first shows at the venue since their return from Germany for their second Hamburg trip. Their previous appearance at the Cavern had been on 24 March 1961.
This was their 16th appearance overall at the club. Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis
- 2012: Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen silenced onstage in London
- 2011: Martin Scorsese’s George Harrison documentary to air in October
- 1964: Radio: Top Gear
- 1963: Live: ABC Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Regent Dansette, Rhyl
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.