The Beatles had recorded a number of songs with singer Tony Sheridan on the previous two days at Friedrich-Ebert-Halle school in Hamburg. This third session took place at a professional studio in the city, known as Studio Rahlstedt, situated at Gebäude M1, Rahlau 128, Hamburg-Tonndorf.
The Friedrich-Ebert-Halle sessions had yielded four songs: ‘My Bonnie’, ‘The Saints’, ‘Why’ and ‘Cry For A Shadow’. They recorded three more on this day: ‘Ain’t She Sweet’, ‘Nobody’s Child’ and ‘Take Out Some Insurance On Me, Baby’
Ain’t She Sweet, which was later released on 1995’s Anthology 1, featured lead vocals by John Lennon, whereas Tony Sheridan sang on the day’s other two recordings. The session was produced by orchestral leader Bert Kaempfert.
The Beatles returned to Studio Rahlstedt on 24 May 1962 for a final session produced by Bert Kaempfert, in which they recorded versions of Sweet Georgia Brown and Swanee River.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Cheese & Grain, Frome
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Artpark Amphitheater, Lewiston, New York
- 2010: Ringo Starr begins 2010 summer tour of US and Canada
- 1968: Paul McCartney sails to Santa Catalina Island, California
- 1968: George Harrison produces Jackie Lomax’s Sour Milk Sea
- 1967: Recording: All You Need Is Love
- 1966: Live: Circus-Krone-Bau, Munich, Germany
- 1965: Live: Velodromo Vigorelli, Milan, Italy
- 1965: John Lennon’s A Spaniard In The Works is published
- 1964: Live: Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand
- 1963: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
This is THE very FIRST recording of The BEATLES that featured one of them on vocals – John Lennon on lead vocals – June 24 1961 – They had earlier recorded as instrument and back – up vocalists backing up Tony Sheridan ( also from Liverpool) – on a few tunes over the 2 days before June 24 1961 – On the 23rd and 22nd 1961- This is a LANDMARK ANNIVERSARY 53 years later here on June 24th 2014–Joe Nania A.K.A. Hollywood Joe
What is the source of this information for a recording session on this date? In Mark Lewisohn’ book, Tune In, he expresses some doubts about a session on the 23rd of June.
I asked him about a possible session on the 24th and his response was simply that the Beatles were not there!
Also, the Gottfridsson book makes no mention of a session on the 24th.
I look forward to your response.