The Beatles' 11th performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool took place on this day.
You could never deny that you had been at the Cavern because of the smell on your clothes. I might be sitting upstairs on the bus and I hadn't been to the Cavern and I could recognise the Cavern smell from someone sitting in front of me. Some people say it was offensive but it wasn't. It was a unique smell, it was a mixture I know of all different horrible things, but it was unique. No other club had it.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
The precise number of The Beatles' Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Yellow Submarine to be reissued on DVD and Blu-ray
- 1969: John Lennon marries Yoko Ono
- 1967: Recording, mixing: She’s Leaving Home
- 1966: Paul McCartney and Jane Asher return to England from Switzerland
- 1965: Filming: Help!, Austria
- 1964: The Beatles’ second appearance on Ready, Steady, Go!
- 1964: UK single release: Can’t Buy Me Love
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Romford
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.