Having passed the preliminary audition for Carroll Levis’ TV Star Search earlier in the month, Johnny and the Moondogs took part in the regional finals held at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool.
The regional finals were held from each night from 26-31 October 1959. While the precise dates of the group’s appearances are unknown, it is likely that they performed on at least two nights.
Johnny and the Moondogs lost out to the Connaughts, a group which, under the name Sunnyside Skiffle Group, had beaten the Quarrymen in the same competition back in 1957. However, the judges thought they were good enough to go through to the final, held at the Hippodrome in Manchester a fortnight later.
Also on this day...
- 1965: The Beatles collect their MBEs
- 1965: Mixing: Drive My Car, Day Tripper, In My Life, If I Needed Someone, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), Nowhere Man
- 1964: Recording, mixing: I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party, Rock And Roll Music, Words Of Love, Baby’s In Black, I’m A Loser, Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!, Honey Don’t, What You’re Doing, Another Beatles Christmas Record
- 1963: Live: Kungliga Tennishallen, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1962: Live: Public Hall, Preston
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.