Ringo Starr was born Richard Starkey on 7 July 1940, at 9 Madryn Street in the Dingle area of Liverpool.
The boy’s parents split up when he was three years old. His mother Elsie married a man called Harry Graves, whom encouraged the young Ritchie’s passion for music.
Starkey was a sickly child, and suffered at different times pleurisy and a coma caused by appendicitis. As a result he did not perform well at school, and fell behind his peers. He eventually left school at the age of 13.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Telenor Arena, Oslo, Norway
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Canada
- 2010: Paul McCartney joins Ringo Starr onstage at Radio City Music Hall, New York
- 2010: Ringo Starr celebrates 70th birthday with peace and love
- 1969: Recording: Here Comes The Sun
- 1969: US single release: Give Peace A Chance by Plastic Ono Band
- 1967: UK single release: All You Need Is Love
- 1966: The Beatles go sightseeing in India
- 1964: Television: Top Of The Pops, Scene At 6.30
- 1963: Live: ABC Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight
- 1960: Live: The Institute, Neston, Wirral
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.