What makes The Beatles The Beatles? | Yesterday... and today | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  
 

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

What makes The Beatles The Beatles?
29 May 2011
4.19pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

What is it about the Beatles that makes them the greatest group ever? Was it the distinctive drumming? Was it the perfect harmonies? Was it the wit and charm? Was it the melodic basslines or the superb guitar? What makes the Beatles the best? For me, it's the versatility. If I want to hear slow music, I'm not going to listen to AC/DC. I won't go to Dean Martin if I want a stinging guitar solo, or a superb fill. The Beatles really mad themselves an everything band. It allows people of most genres to like the band. If you want folky music, Beatles. If you want striking strings, they have it. If you want craziness, they've done it. If you want a ballad, they have it. They were the true all purpose band, and that is why, in my opinion, no other band, as much as I may like other bands, will never trump The Beatles.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
29 May 2011
8.31pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

All of the above. But I would say Ringo.

I think the Beatles just made music that hits you in deeper spots that most other music, I was talking to my dad's friend about Love and he said he didn't like it even though he is a huge Beatles fan. So I played the Strawberry Fields song and he just couldn't help but smile because there's just something about that band that is unexplainable.

Edit: my statement was riddled with spelling errors, well there was just one but I had to change it.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
29 May 2011
8.34pm
kedame
Miles above you
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 531
Member Since:
23 January 2011
Offline

That is definitely one of the reasons I love them, too. They also seem like so much more than just a band. Being a Beatles fan is a lifestyle choice! They had such interesting relationships with each other and also with other people. Sometimes bands seem so manufactured, but you can honestly tell The Beatles respected and loved each other. Knowing all the interesting things about their personalities makes it a lot more fun listening to their music.

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?" John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth
29 May 2011
8.40pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

But sometimes a fractured relationship can be more, shall I say, interesting, (Crosby Stills Nash Young anyone?) because it makes you wonder how such a great band was so dysfunctional in other aspects. And Gniknus, I was waiting forthat one from you!!!

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
29 May 2011
9.54pm
StrawberryLakiesha
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 459
Member Since:
4 March 2011
Offline

Well I'd say that what makes The Beatles the best band ever would be that they didn't have a whole lot of songs that aren't particularly good, I wouldn't say. Also because that's what Jesus wanted and so he did it with a stick! And so that must be why then .

ONE MINUTE YOU'RE DEFENDING THE WHOLE GALAXY, AND SUDDENLY, YOU FIND YOURSELF SUCKING DOWN DARJEELING WITH MARIE ANTOINETTE AND HER LITTLE SISTER.!
29 May 2011
10.14pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2776
Member Since:
9 June 2010
Offline

Dang it. I wrote a really good post, and then my computer decided to be unable to find the server http://www.beatlesbible.com. 

OK. This is basically what I wrote originally: 

Their pure amazingness. a-hard-days-night-john-1

Well, I think the first factor was how good-looking they were. It didn't contribute to the songs, but it contributed to Beatlemania. It's probably a lot easier to deliver a song, no matter how great, when your audience can actually stand looking at you.

The second thing was that they were willing to experiment. They played voices and instruments backward ("Rain," "I'm Only Sleeping," etc.), used nontraditional instruments ("Eleanor Rigby," "Norwegian Wood," George's Indian songs, the songs with orchestra, etc.), and invented recording techniques (ADT, putting a voice through a Leslie speaker, etc.). I remember a quote by Babe Ruth: "I swing big, I miss big, and I hit big." (Or something like that.) The Beatles swung big, and they usually hit big. 

The most important factor, though, was the songwriting itself. I read somewhere (or maybe imagined it) that 90-odd percent of their songs have "you" in the first line. (Does anyone want to look it up/count?) They come straight from the heart, and they hit the heart. (Basically what GniknuS said.) I don't know if I'm the only one, but I use Beatles songs to express my emotions. 

Plus, the tunes are pretty dang catchy. a-hard-days-night-george-10

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

30 May 2011
12.33am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
30 May 2011
1.36am
JojosCoolCherryCream
Abbey Road
Forum Posts: 101
Member Since:
10 April 2011
Offline

MeanMrsMustard said:

Dang it. I wrote a really good post, and then my computer decided to be unable to find the server http://www.beatlesbible.com. 

OK. This is basically what I wrote originally: 

Their pure amazingness. a-hard-days-night-john-1

Well, I think the first factor was how good-looking they were. It didn't contribute to the songs, but it contributed to Beatlemania. It's probably a lot easier to deliver a song, no matter how great, when your audience can actually stand looking at you.

The second thing was that they were willing to experiment. They played voices and instruments backward ("Rain," "I'm Only Sleeping," etc.), used nontraditional instruments ("Eleanor Rigby," "Norwegian Wood," George's Indian songs, the songs with orchestra, etc.), and invented recording techniques (ADT, putting a voice through a Leslie speaker, etc.). I remember a quote by Babe Ruth: "I swing big, I miss big, and I hit big." (Or something like that.) The Beatles swung big, and they usually hit big. 

The most important factor, though, was the songwriting itself. I read somewhere (or maybe imagined it) that 90-odd percent of their songs have "you" in the first line. (Does anyone want to look it up/count?) They come straight from the heart, and they hit the heart. (Basically what GniknuS said.) I don't know if I'm the only one, but I use Beatles songs to express my emotions. 

Plus, the tunes are pretty dang catchy. a-hard-days-night-george-10

You aren't the only one. I do that all the time, a-hard-days-night-ringo-10.

"Hoop? That isn't a hoop, It's a lethal weapon, have you got a license for it?" -Ringo (By the way, just call me Jojo)
30 May 2011
5.43pm
Inner Light
Friar Park
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 520
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline

The Beatles came out at just the right time. It used to be said that if you didn't make it in america, you would never last. 

After Kennedy was assassinated, this country needed something especially for the youth. At that time, they were so unique like nothing seen in this country before. Lennon said once that with someone like Elvis, you either liked him or you didn't but there are four of us. You have to like one of us. 

They wrote and sang great music in the Beatlemania days and for me the key thing regarding there success was that they were able to change with the times and become trend setters. From late 1966 on, many bands were still trying to ride the coat tails of there earlier success and failed but the Beatles new they needed to establish themselves in a new direction and that is why they were able to continue to have so much success.

Their music catalog covered such a wide variety of songs from Rock&Roll to ballads, they all sang and played their own instruments. George Martin also was a key ingredient and played a major force in their success.  

They were a band that were in the right place at the right time and all the wheels clicked into place.

The further one travels, the less one knows
31 May 2011
1.11am
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1214
Member Since:
4 December 2010
Offline
10

Inner Light said:

The Beatles came out at just the right time. It used to be said that if you didn't make it in america, you would never last. 

After Kennedy was assassinated, this country needed something especially for the youth. At that time, they were so unique like nothing seen in this country before. Lennon said once that with someone like Elvis, you either liked him or you didn't but there are four of us. You have to like one of us. 

They wrote and sang great music in the Beatlemania days and for me the key thing regarding there success was that they were able to change with the times and become trend setters. From late 1966 on, many bands were still trying to ride the coat tails of there earlier success and failed but the Beatles new they needed to establish themselves in a new direction and that is why they were able to continue to have so much success.

Their music catalog covered such a wide variety of songs from Rock&Roll to ballads, they all sang and played their own instruments. George Martin also was a key ingredient and played a major force in their success.  

They were a band that were in the right place at the right time and all the wheels clicked into place.

I agree with this completely. They were in the right place at the right time. They were marketed so well for an America that was going through difficult times (assassination, Commies in Cuba and USSR). And yes they were a good band that wrote really good songs. The Beatles were smart enough to elevate their success in a completely new direction and like Inner Light said, be trend setters.

But I believe one of the reasons why they were so big and Beatley was because tehy knew how to connect with the audience on an emotional level. Their music became something bigger than three cords and 2 minutes worth of radio play.

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.
31 May 2011
2.17am
CranberrySauce
Sitting on a Corn Flake
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 402
Member Since:
4 November 2010
Offline
11

Well I think it was because the band matured through the years, and so did the audience. Maybe most of the fans were kids when the Beatles made it big at first, and that was also when their music was a lot lighter in subject matter. With each successive album, the songs became a bit deeper, and more innovative- and their original fans were older as well and appreciating the deeper music. So it was really because they were able to evolve and branch out that made them the one and only Beatles!

Because the wind is high, it blows my mind.
31 May 2011
12.40pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 4549
Member Since:
14 April 2010
Offline
12

All of the above.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

31 May 2011
3.30pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

Inner Light said:

After Kennedy was assassinated, this country needed something especially for the youth. At that time, they were so unique like nothing seen in this country before. Lennon said once that with someone like Elvis, you either liked him or you didn't but there are four of us. You have to like one of us. 

 

That's brilliant. Never thought of it. Great replies from you all.

 

Another thing is  they didn't care their fans opinion. I mean, they never thought "The fans are gonna hate this album". They just did it and hoped they would sell records, or maybe they got so self-confident that they said "We're the Beatles, they're gonna buy it". There are many bands in the business that continue doing the same thing because it "works".

 

Another factor was that because they were The Beatles, the recording company did what they wanted. Tell me one singer or band that can do the same nowadays in a large company. (there are very few I guess)

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
31 May 2011
6.38pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
14

But it has to be more than right place, right time. The Stones were there, the Beach Boys, Dylan, etc, etc. But something happened there particularly between John and Paul that almost seems surreal. That competition that they had within the band drove them to unbelievable heights and they both wanted to put their flavor on every song. For John that usually meant pushing the "limits" of music further and further and for Paul it meant a desire for a sweeter and sweeter sound.

Then you add in a drummer of Ringo's uniqueness and capability and someone like George who basically transformed into this entirely different person who had an awesome Eastern influence and drive and you can forget about it, no one will ever top that band.

All of these factors were of course driven by the era and the "vibes" or whatever you want to call the experimentation of the 60's and it's like the perfect storm occurred. I don't think, unfortunately, anything like that could happen nowadays because our culture is a bit too cynical.

1 and 1 and 1 is 3.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
31 May 2011
7.16pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2776
Member Since:
9 June 2010
Offline
15

mithveaen said:

Maybe they got so self-confident that they said "We're the Beatles, they're gonna buy it".

They did. Remember that one quote about "Hey Jude?" Where Paul (?) said "Oh, it's too long, nobody will buy it" and John (?) said "They will if it's us"?

Sorry, my quotes aren't exact.  

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

31 May 2011
7.27pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
16

Yes you are right M3. It's in the Rolling Stone magazine about the best 100 Beatles song.

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
31 May 2011
7.49pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
17

MeanMrsMustard said:

mithveaen said:

Maybe they got so self-confident that they said "We're the Beatles, they're gonna buy it".

They did. Remember that one quote about "Hey Jude?" Where Paul (?) said "Oh, it's too long, nobody will buy it" and John (?) said "They will if it's us"?

Sorry, my quotes aren't exact.  

Pretty damn close. The thing there though was teetering on confidence, but not arrogance. 

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
31 May 2011
10.12pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1010
Member Since:
4 December 2010
Offline
18

The incredible coincidence of John, Paul and George living within such a small amount of space and time, and Dylan being born at just the right time as well. 

Do any of you think how bloody incredible it is that John and Dylan were born less than a year apart, and that John and Paul lived fairly close together with only two years age gap, and Paul was in the year above George at school? Without John, Paul and George together, the Beatles wouldn't exist as we know them, and without Dylan they'd probably have kept putting out albums like A Hard Day's Night.

No slight on Ringo of course, but I think he's a bit less of a coincidence.

And I neeeeeeeeed her all the time
31 May 2011
10.30pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
19

a-hard-days-night-paul-6Holy shit. Absolutely fantastic post.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
1 June 2011
3.14am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
20

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

 

I totally agree with you. Now I know why I can't stand listening to the whole U2 albums, some songs don't have the same quality of their best... and listening to only one Beatle song is not enough. You need the whole damn album.

 

Excellent post paulsbass. you have no idea how you made my day apple01

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Ahhh Girl, Sugarplum fairy
55 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10387

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

Ahhh Girl: 5517

parlance: 5495

Annadog40: 4734

mithveaen: 4651

Zig: 4549

Mr. Kite: 4294

Ron Nasty: 3217

fabfouremily: 2947

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2684

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3149

Posts: 140450

Newest Members: ZoeLouk, arsentev78, Rocky You're a Blackbird, Johnlovedcats, Alex

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5517, meanmistermustard: 10387, Zig: 4549, Joe: 3492

Administrators: Joe: 3492, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None