The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones
No permission to create posts
22 July 2011
1.47pm
Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6980
Member Since:
19 September 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Here's a review from our own Joe which tells you about the book more. I'm not going to say the Stones were better but really, they were the other 60's band. The fact remains that they were a killer singles band. Let's Spend the Night Together, Get Off My Cloud, Under My Thumb, Satisfaction and many more. (Although Paint It Black pisses me off).

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

22 July 2011
4.51pm
Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6980
Member Since:
19 September 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Something has struck me as odd about these two groups. Were they that different? Let's use 1965. The 3 singles for the Beatles: Ticket To Ride, Help, Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out. Three Stones singles from that year: Satisfaction, Get Off my Cloud and As Tears Go By. Two riff based songs each, and As Tears Go By sounds lots like Yesterday. Really, what's this huge gap?

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

22 July 2011
7.53pm
Avatar
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 7545
Member Since:
14 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Both bands were very popular but did have 2 different sounds. The early song structures may have been similar, but the Stones were more bluesy and the Beatles more (Mersey) beaty. Take I Wanna Be Your Man for example. Same song, almost the same tempo, but very different sounding (in my opinion, anyway).

I never understood the debate about Beatles vs. Stones. Why can't we like them both? They all got along with each other, after all. Hell, George even recommended them to Decca.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

23 July 2011
11.09am
Avatar
McLennonSon
In the middle of the roundabout
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 831
Member Since:
10 May 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23 July 2011
3.54pm
toryst
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 31
Member Since:
12 January 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

McLennonSon said:

That is one good post, man. apple01

Thanks a-hard-days-night-george-8 I never really bought into the whole debate because it's like comparing apples to oranges.  One thing that has always got my goat tho is when the Beatles are called a pop band.  Sure, they released popular music but the fact remains that they ROCK! ie Helter Skelter, Revolution, Come Together, etc, etc, etc...  And the fact that they are portrayed as the good boys compared to the Stones bad boy image.  Seems to me that they were the first band to say tit over and over, sang about orgasms, used multiple drug references, made scathing political statements...The Stones image, I believe, was more manufactured.  Either way, both bands produced timeless music. stuart-sutcliffe

23 July 2011
11.45pm
toryst
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 31
Member Since:
12 January 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Zig said:

Both bands were very popular but did have 2 different sounds. The early song structures may have been similar, but the Stones were more bluesy and the Beatles more (Mersey) beaty. Take I Wanna Be Your Man for example. Same song, almost the same tempo, but very different sounding (in my opinion, anyway).

I never understood the debate about Beatles vs. Stones. Why can't we like them both? They all got along with each other, after all. Hell, George even recommended them to Decca.

I think we can like them both but we can love only one.  My reason for loving the Beatles is that every member grew up together.  Of course, Ringo came via Rory Storm but he was well known in the area and well respected as a drummer.  They all earned their chops in Hamburg and brought the driving, rhythmic beat back home.  Furthermore, they were all performers.  Name me 5 groups that the drummer could also sing.  Yes, Charlie Watts held a magnificent beat but watching him is like watching molasses run down a tree.

24 July 2011
1.33am
Avatar
JET!
Rockin' in two by two
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 500
Member Since:
13 November 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Zig said:

Both bands were very popular but did have 2 different sounds. The early song structures may have been similar, but the Stones were more bluesy and the Beatles more (Mersey) beaty. Take I Wanna Be Your Man for example. Same song, almost the same tempo, but very different sounding (in my opinion, anyway).

I never understood the debate about Beatles vs. Stones. Why can't we like them both? They all got along with each other, after all. Hell, George even recommended them to Decca.

Um, Zig, are you a carpenter? Cause you NAILED IT!

toryst said:

I think we can like them both but we can love only one.  My reason for loving the Beatles is that every member grew up together.  Of course, Ringo came via Rory Storm but he was well known in the area and well respected as a drummer.  They all earned their chops in Hamburg and brought the driving, rhythmic beat back home.  Furthermore, they were all performers.  Name me 5 groups that the drummer could also sing.  Yes, Charlie Watts held a magnificent beat but watching him is like watching molasses run down a tree.

The thing about Charlie is: he's a jazzman. Originally, that was the kind of music he loved while Mick, Keef, Brian, and Bill were listening to Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and such. When Mick, Keith, and Brian would catch him listening to jazz on the sly, they'd make him turn it off and listen to some blues. Keith tells a good story about that in his book.

Anyway, I think jazz drummers are more understated-looking, and controlled. They don't make a spectacle. He doesn't have the Ringo Side-Head-Bob-Thingy that we all love, but Charlie just holds that beat and holds it damn well without looking like he's trying to kill someone. Always has, always will.

I love the Stones almost every bit as much as I love the Beatles. Zig pretty much said it all. They're awesome, talented, and charismatic. Just more blues-based. (also I think they're touring after the new year. a-hard-days-night-ringo-6Crying with delight.a-hard-days-night-john-6)

The sunshine bores the daylights outta me
24 July 2011
5.20am
Avatar
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1212
Member Since:
4 December 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

mr. Sun king coming together said:

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Here's a review from our own Joe which tells you about the book more. I'm not going to say the Stones were better but really, they were the other 60's band. The fact remains that they were a killer singles band. Let's Spend the Night Together, Get Off My Cloud, Under My Thumb, Satisfaction and many more. (Although Paint It Black pisses me off).

Why does it piss you off? This is the song thanks to Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock that made me a Stones fan. You know George inspired Brian Jones how to play the sitar right? George is obviously the better player, but Brian deserves his props.

 

I love both bands. Different sounds that please the ears. mind, and soul. The Beatles were a better band, but the Stones knew how to rock. I really hope they tour. After seeing Paul (still in withdrawal), I realized going to a Stones concert would be just as life changing.

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.
No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: pepperland, Merch, ewe2
36 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17129

Ahhh Girl: 10741

Annadog40: 9715

Zig: 7545

parlance: 7092

mr. Sun king coming together: 6980

Mr. Kite: 6092

Silly Girl: 5774

trcanberra: 5535

Ron Nasty: 4940

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 3331

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 3815

Posts: 202031

Newest Members:

ravenswolf, Gamer1234, Stockholm1955, tomomi, ttn48griff

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 10741, meanmistermustard: 17129, Zig: 7545, Joe: 4390

Administrators: Joe: 4390, Ellie: 3

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None