The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time
No permission to create posts
6 April 2010
4.44am
skye
AZ
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2270
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

... according to Rolling Stone Magazine.

Here's the main article.

If you're like me, you'll skip to the people you care about:

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

I can't say I disagree with the top five, but I think Paul should have been higher! There are some amazing singers on this list all the same.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!
6 April 2010
7.48pm
PeterWeatherby
A Park in the Dark
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 370

I think Macca got seriously short-sheeted in that article.  I understand that deciding who is "the greatest singer" is really, really a subjective thing, but there are certain objective points that can be measured, too.  I'm not saying John was better than Paul, or Paul was better than John, but I do think Paul had a stronger mastery over the technique than John did (even if John was phenomenal at just letting his voice become a conduit for his emotions).

Paul had a wider range of notes.  He could do the low-end stuff (listen to the way he tumbles towards the basement in "All My Loving"), and he could do the screaming high-end stuff ("Long Tall Sally" and the chorus of "Maybe I'm Amazed" come immediately to mind).  He could infuse the vocal with raw rock-n-roll growl (again, "I'm Down" or "Oh Darling" or "I've Got A Feeling"), or he could hit those exact same high notes with creamy smoothness ("My Love", or "Here, There And Everywhere").  He could even do both in the same song, as in "Too Many People".

I read somewhere that he recorded the vocal-shredding "I'm Down" in the same session that he recorded "Yesterday", in that order, one right after the other.  That takes some serious vocal flexibility, and that's not something John could have done (or at least, that seems to be the case - remember, he saved "Twist And Shout" until last in the session because he said he wouldn't be able to sing anything after that).

The following people thank PeterWeatherby for this post:

Mr. Kite
Not a bit like Cagney.
6 April 2010
9.08pm
skye
AZ
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2270

John did have a cold when he did Twist And Shout, but I agree with you about Paul's range. I'm not sure who I'd kick out to put him in the top ten. More could be said than he's an impressionist.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!
6 April 2010
9.57pm
Marcelo
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 482
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Necko, pepperland, Ahhh Girl, Annadog40, Merch, Georgefan, Silly Girl, polly, thehippiechick
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17120

Ahhh Girl: 10726

Annadog40: 9698

Zig: 7531

parlance: 7092

mr. Sun king coming together: 6980

Mr. Kite: 6092

Silly Girl: 5746