Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Photos and information of the last British Tour in 1965
27 December 2009
3.25pm
...and Dave
Guests

Does anyone know of any photos published of The Beatles playing on stage on the last British Tour in 1965?

I've seen a couple in The Beatles Monthly but otherwise very very few.

Also I read that Paul played piano on Yesterday during that tour which I find a bit hard to believe albeit that John was still using the organ for I'm Down on stage. It was dropped for the 1966 shows od course.

Paul played guitar solo on Blackpool Night Out and Ed Sullivan in August 1965 but for the 1966 tours it was of of course a full band effort. So why the piano (if at all) on the British Tour?

Anyone can help me out?

28 December 2009
3.13pm
BeatleMark
Pensacola, Florida
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 24
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Image Enlarger

I do know that Paul played organ on two songs during this tour.  “We Can Work It Out ” and “Yesterday “.   From this picture, I can see the chord John is fingering…appears to be playing “We Can Work It Out “. 

Sunday's on the phone to Monday, Tuesday's on the phone to me.

29 December 2009
7.00am
...and Dave
Guests

That's brilliant!

Where did you find the photo because they appear to be very rare?

I've never heard of any of those shows being taped nor the 1964 British tour either where the photos are pretty scarce also.

Thanks again – you weren't at the “Hurricane-show” in 1964 in Jacksonville I suppose?

29 December 2009
11.38am
BeatleMark
Pensacola, Florida
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

…and Dave said:

That's brilliant!

Where did you find the photo because they appear to be very rare?

I've never heard of any of those shows being taped nor the 1964 British tour either where the photos are pretty scarce also.

Thanks again – you weren't at the “Hurricane-show” in 1964 in Jacksonville I suppose?

There is this webpage called http://www.octaner.blogspot.com

This is where I found the picture or “video still” from the last UK tour.  There's lot of photos and rare downloads for your listening pleasure.  I haven't seen or heard about the video though.  I'm sure it's in some vault waiting for someone to pay tens of thousands for it's release! 

No I wasn't at the Jacksonville show in '64.  I wish!  I wasn't born yet.  I do know some people who attended the New Orleans City Park show.  I actually used to know a lady that claimed she “got it on” with Ringo in New Orleans.  Yell

30 December 2009
7.03am
mjb
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 519

This is where I found the picture or “video still” from the last UK tour.  There's lot of photos and rare downloads for your listening pleasure.  I haven't seen or heard about the video though.  I'm sure it's in some vault waiting for someone to pay tens of thousands for it's release! 

Blimey – how long before this site get's a visit from the Internet Police! Grab it will you can I say. That said, how do you open up rar files?

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"

30 December 2009
10.11am
SugarPlumFairy
Cloud Cuckoo Land
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 11

mjb said:

Blimey – how long before this site get's a visit from the Internet Police! Grab it will you can I say. That said, how do you open up rar files?

Damn and blast! I was too late; by the time I got there the download limit for all four “Revolver ” sessions albums had been reached. Serves me right for not paying attention I suppose Cry

30 December 2009
3.19pm
BeatleMark
Pensacola, Florida
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Don't get me into trouble now guys!  The people over at octaner.blogspot are friends of mine.  You can actually find just about everything ever recorded (including the Beatles) on http://www.filestube.com

Just enter in what you are looking for in the search option.  Free download depending on the traffic.  http://www.filestube.com is the best site on the internet! 

Back to the UK '65 tour.  This is what Richie Unterberger wrote about the tour in his book, “The Unreleased Beatles-music & film” 

“Although there is no circulating Beatles music from 1965 recorded later than November 11, they weren't quite done making music for the year.  On December 3, they launched their next British tour-a short, ten-day jaunt that would turn out to be their final British tour, though they did one short concert in the UK in 1966 and the famous concert atop their Apple Headquarters roof in London in January 1969.  No tapes have emerged of this late-1965 British tour, a particular loss as one of the songs, “We Can Work It Out ” (on which Paul played electric piano live), was never done onstage elsewhere.  In addition, although they did do “Yesterday ” in concert in 1966,  the arrangement for this particular tour was different, Paul accompanying himself on organ instead of playing bass as he would the following year.  Maybe the performances on this tour wouldn't have been that great,  as they rehearsed for it just once, and perfunctorily, at the flat of their road managers Neil Aspinall and Mal Evans.  If a tape of a full show were to surface, however, it would follow this setlist:”

I Feel Fine “, “She's A Woman “, “If I Needed Someone “, “Act Naturally “, “Nowhere Man “, “Baby's In Black”, “Help !”, “We Can Work It Out “, “Yesterday “, “Day Tripper “, “I'm Down”. 

30 December 2009
3.25pm
mjb
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 519

If a tape of a full show were to surface, however, it would follow this setlist:”

I Feel Fine “, “She's A Woman “, “If I Needed Someone “, “Act Naturally “, “Nowhere Man “, “Baby's In Black”, “Help !”, “We Can Work It Out “, “Yesterday “, “Day Tripper “, “I'm Down”. 

Such a strange set list that was so unlike all others with I Feel Fine as the opener and Ringo 'on the mic' so early on too. Interesting to see the opening four tracks were actually John followed by Paul followed by George followed by Ringo – the classic John, Paul, George, Ringo!

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"

5 August 2014
4.05pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

I never knew there was silent video of this tour, dated as coming from the Hammersmith Odeon on the 10th December. Certainly gives a little more hope there is some audio out there.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 August 2014
4.56pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

I think that the odds are that someone did in fact record some audio at one of the dates, I think the question is whether or not it still exists.  Someone may have stashed a spool of tape or mini-cassette into some box due to the poor quality upon hearing it back.  Decades have passed and the person, if such a person does exist, could very well no longer be with us and we can only hope that the heir to this buried treasure one day discovers the artifact and shares it.  Another problem with “discovering” these relics is that the formats used aren’t compatible with today’s technology.  How many of us are in possession of a reel to reel machine or micro-cassette recorder (that still works!) to even playback magnetic tape that may contain such a treasure?  I’d like to see an online campaign targeting this particular artifact, soliciting anybody still living who was at any of the shows, or a descendant of anyone who was there and make a concerted effort to unearth what might be still amongst their personal possessions.  The drawback here is that there was only 9 shows total, I think, that were possibly recorded but that would atleast help narrow the search.  Here’s to hoping…:-) 

5 August 2014
5.44pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

I have a reel to reel player if ever some one discovers a reel. Bring it on.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694