Let's have a bit of fun! | Page 3 | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Let's have a bit of fun!
No permission to create posts
23 May 2010
5.55am
Avatar
Celebrated_Mr_K
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 155
Member Since:
17 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Looks like I may be the oldest.  I'm 53.  I actually saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show when they first arrived in America. I was five.

I actually have all the old Capitol Records vinyl albums (which -- up to Sgt. Pepper -- are all different from the British releases, which are what the CDs all follow).  And here's my dirty confession...I think the Capitol Records release of Rubber Soul is superior to the British release, because it includes the heartbreakingly beautiful "I've Just Seen A Face" and "It's Only Love."  But maybe that's a topic for another discussion.

23 May 2010
11.10am
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4392
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

Looks like I may be the oldest.  I'm 53.  I actually saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show when they first arrived in America. I was five.

I actually have all the old Capitol Records vinyl albums (which -- up to Sgt. Pepper -- are all different from the British releases, which are what the CDs all follow).  And here's my dirty confession...I think the Capitol Records release of Rubber Soul is superior to the British release, because it includes the heartbreakingly beautiful "I've Just Seen A Face" and "It's Only Love."  But maybe that's a topic for another discussion.


Have you got the two Capitol Records CD box sets? I guess you don't need them as you've got the vinyl, but all those US alternative mixes, film instrumentals and different tracklistings are there (apart from the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack which United Artists released, and the Beatles Story speech/documentary LP).

I definitely prefer the UK version of Rubber Soul, but that's because it's the one I grew up with (I presume that's the reason most others would give). It's interesting that Capitol ended up releasing a folk-rock Beatles album though, just by chopping and changing the songs they included.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

23 May 2010
3.04pm
Avatar
Chollie
in my tree
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 31
Member Since:
20 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well, you whipersnappers, having been born in October of  '54 makes me..........55 and 1/2 + and, if the fates allow,56 on my next Birthday.

I all ways manage to crank the volume and have the BEATLES play me a song. Always taking a cha cha cha chance, Chollie!

A restless wind inside a letterbox
23 May 2010
3.41pm
Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4631
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Joe said:


Have you got the two Capitol Records CD box sets? I guess you don't need them as you've got the vinyl, but all those US alternative mixes, film instrumentals and different tracklistings are there (apart from the
A Hard Day's Night soundtrack which United Artists released, and the Beatles Story speech/documentary LP).

 

 


 

So are they worth buying? Because they're for sale in a local deparment store…..

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
23 May 2010
3.51pm
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4392
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well I suppose it depends on your level of obsession and the price they're going for. I may be wrong, but I think they're both discontinued now.

A lot of the mixes are slightly different, some markedly so – Capitol decided to add loads of echo to some of the songs, particularly the 1963 ones, which presumably was what US audiences wanted.

The version of Help! is particularly worth a listen IMO, as it contains the Ken Thorne incidental music from the film, including the James Bond intro to the title track.

I'm Looking Through You on Rubber Soul has a false start in the guitar intro which I don't think can be heard anywhere else. And each disc contains the stereo and mono versions, which is something EMI should have done.

If you're not too bothered about that sort of thing I'd stick with the 2009 remasters. The Capitol discs aren't hugely different, but there's enough variation to make them pretty interesting.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

23 May 2010
4.24pm
Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4631
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Joe said:

Well I suppose it depends on your level of obsession and the price they're going for. I may be wrong, but I think they're both discontinued now.

A lot of the mixes are slightly different, some markedly so – Capitol decided to add loads of echo to some of the songs, particularly the 1963 ones, which presumably was what US audiences wanted.

The version of Help! is particularly worth a listen IMO, as it contains the Ken Thorne incidental music from the film, including the James Bond intro to the title track.

I'm Looking Through You on Rubber Soul has a false start in the guitar intro which I don't think can be heard anywhere else. And each disc contains the stereo and mono versions, which is something EMI should have done.

If you're not too bothered about that sort of thing I'd stick with the 2009 remasters. The Capitol discs aren't hugely different, but there's enough variation to make them pretty interesting.


 

Mhhh interesting… I think the Help! Version might make me buy the album.

 

But what I see is that there's Volume 1 and Volume 2, and I'm afraid the only one available is volume 1.

 

I think I might get it. The price is a true bargain, I think it's 50%. Beatle stuff in Mexico is EXPENSIVE. I remember biting my lips when I took the Stereo Box set and seriously thinking about getting it or not because of the price. There was a promotion, so I ended up getting The Stereo Box set and the Anthology DVDs. I could pay them in 6 payments with no interest. (popular promotions in Mexico). They also have Concert in Bangladesh and a Concert for George.. but the prices are just too high. My sister got me Help! for my birthday because the DVD was for sale. And the prices don't go down  because people anyway buy this stuff.

 

In a large deparment store chain, there's now official Beatles merchandise for sale. They had this Bob Dylan-ish cap (like the one John wore in his first US visit) at  40 USD. That's a lot for a cap. (That's what I pay for groceries every week, imagine) I loved it but I said "I don't really need it". But then when I said "Ok I don't need it but I love it" and I went to get it the next day.. they were gone.

 

And actually I'm kind of glad I didn't get it, it was too much for a cap. And I get a similar one cheaper.

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
24 May 2010
2.18am
Avatar
Celebrated_Mr_K
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 155
Member Since:
17 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Joe said:

I'm Looking Through You on Rubber Soul has a false start in the guitar intro which I don't think can be heard anywhere else. And each disc contains the stereo and mono versions, which is something EMI should have done.


 

See, I never knew it was a false start, and I wondered why it was missing when I bought the CD when it came out in the 80s. 

When I saw Paul's concert in Miami recently, he played "I'm Looking Through You" and I could have sworn he started it with those two extra notes.  It improves the song a bit, in my opinion.

I love "Nowhere Man" but I've never gotten used to it being on Rubber Soul.  It seems out-of-place because I grew up listening to the more folky sound of the Capitol release.  Capitol included it on Yesterday and Today.  That album, you may remember, was released initially with the infamous "baby butcher" cover, that was quickly recalled.  The apocryphal story of that cover was that it was the Beatles way of protesting Capitol's butchering of its American album releases.

24 May 2010
2.19am
Avatar
Celebrated_Mr_K
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 155
Member Since:
17 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Chollie said:

Well, you whipersnappers, having been born in October of  '54 makes me..........55 and 1/2 + and, if the fates allow,56 on my next Birthday.

I all ways manage to crank the volume and have the BEATLES play me a song. Always taking a cha cha cha chance, Chollie!


 

Chollie, I'm glad to see I'm not the oldest here!

24 May 2010
2.25am
Avatar
Celebrated_Mr_K
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 155
Member Since:
17 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Joe said:

Celebrated_Mr_K said:


Have you got the two Capitol Records CD box sets? I guess you don't need them as you've got the vinyl, but all those US alternative mixes, film instrumentals and different tracklistings are there (apart from the
A Hard Day's Night soundtrack which United Artists released, and the Beatles Story speech/documentary LP).
 

 


 

I never owned the Beatles Story disc, which seemed like a ripoff.  I was a kid and wasn't going to spend what little bit of money I had on listening to people talk.

24 May 2010
10.49am
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4392
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I got given a vinyl copy for Christmas when I was about 16. I think I played it once. It's interesting enough to hear but not something I ever feel like putting on.

Talking of the Capitol albums, there's been some talk about whether they'll actually put out a volume three. All The Beatles' releases standardised after 1967, but before that, of those not included on volumes 1 and 2, were The Beatles Story, A Hard Day's Night (United Artists version), Yesterday And Today, and the US version of Revolver which only contained 11 songs (the other three had already been released on Y&T). It'd be a shame if they didn't release the final volume, though I don't know how good the sales would be since the remasters came out.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

9 October 2010
5.33am
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Beatles Fan 1 doesn't post much, but he's 6. (He's my brother. The one with the Sgt. Pepper Paul suit.)

 

EDIT: I'm 15, and Polythene Dan is 12. I've got a 9-year-old sister who doesn't have an account. 

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

9 October 2010
4.25pm
Avatar
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 528
Member Since:
14 October 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

Looks like I may be the oldest.  I'm 53.  I actually saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show when they first arrived in America. I was five.

I actually have all the old Capitol Records vinyl albums (which -- up to Sgt. Pepper -- are all different from the British releases, which are what the CDs all follow).  And here's my dirty confession...I think the Capitol Records release of Rubber Soul is superior to the British release, because it includes the heartbreakingly beautiful "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love."  But maybe that's a topic for another discussion.


Darn it - I started the thread in hopeful mood and now I've lost my crown to an elder member........oh well, congratulation CMrK :-)
"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
5 May 2011
6.53pm
Avatar
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2838
Member Since:
14 December 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Funny how I never chimed in earlier...I guess I'm something like the 8th or 9th oldest here, or thereabouts. Was born during the Magical Mystery Tour sessions, within a day or so of the recording of "Fool On The Hill"'s flutes and "Hello, Goodbye"'s violas.

Also, since I was born 9 months to the day after it was begun, it's not unreasonable to assume that the recording of "A Day In The Life" coincided with the first day in my life. Cosmic!

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
5 May 2011
7.11pm
Avatar
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 7561
Member Since:
14 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Von Bontee said:

Funny how I never chimed in earlier...I guess I'm something like the 8th or 9th oldest here, or thereabouts. Was born during the Magical Mystery Tour sessions, within a day or so of the recording of "Fool On The Hill"'s flutes and "Hello, Goodbye"'s violas.

Also, since I was born 9 months to the day after it was begun, it's not unreasonable to assume that the recording of "A Day In The Life" coincided with the first day in my life. Cosmic!

THAT is cool.

9 months prior to my B-day the lads were in the early stages of their first tour with Helen Shapiro.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

6 May 2011
2.25am
Avatar
Nigel the good dog
Nowhere Land
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 731
Member Since:
22 January 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'll be 14 in November (This year my birthday is on Thanksgiving again!).

I am looking at a few of the Beatle things that happened on my birthday, (not the actual date when I came into the world, but just Nov. 24th) and I found that in 1966 they recorded "Strawberry Fields Forever", and in 1967 the singles "Hello Goodbye" and "I Am The Walrus" were released. Woah, all those are some of my favorite songs. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

My mind is far away, off in Pepperland…
I'm a girl, don't be confused by my name.
No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Annadog40, Merch
48 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17152

Ahhh Girl: 10758

Annadog40: 9762

Zig: 7561

parlance: 7092

mr. Sun king coming together: 6980

Mr. Kite: 6092

Silly Girl: 5829

trcanberra: 5549

Ron Nasty: 4950

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 3335

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 3816

Posts: 202363

Newest Members:

beatlezoe, nicklav99, pbwriter, leenawilliams, ravenswolf

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 10758, meanmistermustard: 17152, Zig: 7561, Joe: 4392

Administrators: Joe: 4392, Ellie: 3

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: DrBeatle