Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
July 6th 1957
10 July 2013
6.34am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3712

Von Bontee said
Regrettable to think about but Paul's probably lost a lot more folks who meant as much or more to him than famous former professional acquaintances, however close they may have been. Being 71 years old means you've probably attended way too many funerals in your life. :(

Yes, I sometimes think about that with regards to my maternal grandmother. Before she passed at the age of 97, she had buried her parents, her husband, all of her siblings, all of her own children, and even a couple of grandchildren, not to mention friends and acquaintances. No matter how well-loved you are (she was very well-loved) that has to be a lonely existence. I can't imagine the strength it took to live through so much.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at YouTube and Vimeo.

10 July 2013
7.24am
unknown
ay, qué pesado
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1215

The Michael Jackson thing was a joke..

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
10 July 2013
7.41am
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2545

My response to Funny Paper & LHL certainly seems to have re-enlivened the conversation!

As to MJ, unknown, don't worry. Joke or not, there's at least one other person here who may have said, "What about Michael?"

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
10 July 2013
11.14am
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 7237

unknown said
The Michael Jackson thing was a joke..

When I first read that I thought unknown was referring to their creative time together.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
10 July 2013
2.29pm
unknown
ay, qué pesado
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1215

Nah, I actually like his songs with MJ. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
10 July 2013
3.19pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop

On an up note, The Examiner reports that Paul dedicated Happy Birthday on Sunday not only to Ringo, but to his dad, "Jimmy Mac."

(Avoid the link if you don't like concert spoilers.)

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

10 July 2013
9.36pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1497

I hate Say say say, haven't heard the other stuff he did with MJ.

Yeah I thought about that too. My grandma is now 84 and she has lost her parents, all of her siblings, her husband, all of her husband's siblings except for one (we were a very close family), nearly all of her friends and acquaintances. She only has about 3 friends left, of which one is seriously ill, one is seriously ill and dying soon and the other one is way older than her, so that might not take that long anymore either. Besides, one of her sons divorced and moved to the other side of the country, no one knows where, and another one of her sons moved to the other side of the country as well, with his wife and children, so in a way she lost them as well. She hasn't seen the divorced one in years and the other son visits twice a year, without children and wife.

It must be so hard and horrible not to have anyone anymore to talk to. Of course she has us, but you know, that's different, she doesn't have anyone to talk to about the good old times or whatever and she can't just go away to visit a friend or family. I really can't imagine how that must be, wow.

10 July 2013
11.57pm
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 7237

Cant stand any of the Macca/Jacko collaborations. Dreadful cheesy crap badly produced with abysmal lyrics.

I try and not think about death in the slightest. I know its a part of life but I don't want to go there. I have lost extended family and that was bad, just horrible - to lose someone incredibly close to you, a partner, child, friend, parent, whatever, must be truly horrific, God knows how terrible it must be to lose more eg lose your whole family. And then you have the circumstances of how it happens. I think, having no experience in it, its more just being there for them as no words can come close but what do I know.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
11 July 2013
2.49am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1698

Linde said
I hate Say say say, haven't heard the other stuff he did with MJ.

Yeah I thought about that too. My grandma is now 84 and she has lost her parents, all of her siblings, her husband, all of her husband's siblings except for one (we were a very close family), nearly all of her friends and acquaintances. She only has about 3 friends left, of which one is seriously ill, one is seriously ill and dying soon and the other one is way older than her, so that might not take that long anymore either. Besides, one of her sons divorced and moved to the other side of the country, no one knows where, and another one of her sons moved to the other side of the country as well, with his wife and children, so in a way she lost them as well. She hasn't seen the divorced one in years and the other son visits twice a year, without children and wife.

It must be so hard and horrible not to have anyone anymore to talk to. Of course she has us, but you know, that's different, she doesn't have anyone to talk to about the good old times or whatever and she can't just go away to visit a friend or family. I really can't imagine how that must be, wow.

If you had the time, you could sit down with her one day a month to record her memories.  Have a recording device, and a notebook to jot things down, and just let her reminisce, and ask questions whenever you feel necessary.  She might have very interesting memories, historical as well as personal.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
11 July 2013
4.08am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop

I second the jotting down/recording memories suggestion. I did that with my grandmother. She was also very happy when I asked her to help me track her branch of the family tree.

parlance

11 July 2013
7.39am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1891

Speaking of Paul and his dad, I found a nice picture of them on tumblr the other day:

a-hard-days-night-paul-8

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 July 2013
10.18am
Ben Ramon
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 622

^ I love the video that picture is from; Paul and the rest of Wings returning to a Liverpool pub that he presumably frequented as a younger man and mingling/singing with all the old locals as if nothing had changed.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'
11 July 2013
11.36am
Gerell
Philippines, the country which no Beatle would dare to perform again.
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 687

On a brighter note: Ivan and Paul shared the same birthday.

"And in the End the Love you take is equal to the Love you make"
"When I was a robber *Piano Chord* in Boston Place"
"Let's hope this turns out pretty darn good huh"
"Pete may be the best, but Ringo is the star"
Paul:"Don't be nervous John"
John:"I 'm not"
12 July 2013
5.31am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1891

Ben Ramon said
^ I love the video that picture is from; Paul and the rest of Wings returning to a Liverpool pub that he presumably frequented as a younger man and mingling/singing with all the old locals as if nothing had changed.

That's right!  I love this video as well.  Isn't it from the 'James Paul McCartney' special from TV years ago?

.. and at 1:12, that thing he does with his smoke…  I love that.  I have tried to imitate it but dammit I can't do it.  ahdn_paul_01 That sassy bastard with his sassy smoking talents.  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Ron Nasty, trcanberra, Annadog40, AbbeyRoadRage, Mr. Kite
54 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today None
Upcoming Joe, Bungalow Bob

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 7237

mr. Sun king coming together: 6972

mithveaen: 4678

parlance: 3712

MeanMrsMustard: 2803

Ron Nasty: 2544

skye: 2295

IveJustSeenAFaceo: 2053

LongHairedLady: 1891

Von Bontee: 1855

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2337

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 33

Topics: 3069

Newest Members: BeatleZak, Mast Paster, Stephen Merrick, happyfeetgroove, captaindiggity

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (3409), fabfouremily (2941), Zig (3315), Joe (3220), Ellie (1)

Administrators: Joe (3220)