Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
July 6th 1957
10 July 2013
6.34am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Von Bontee said
Regrettable to think about but Paul’s probably lost a lot more folks who meant as much or more to him than famous former professional acquaintances, however close they may have been. Being 71 years old means you’ve probably attended way too many funerals in your life. :(

Yes, I sometimes think about that with regards to my maternal grandmother. Before she passed at the age of 97, she had buried her parents, her husband, all of her siblings, all of her own children, and even a couple of grandchildren, not to mention friends and acquaintances. No matter how well-loved you are (she was very well-loved) that has to be a lonely existence. I can’t imagine the strength it took to live through so much.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

10 July 2013
7.24am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

The Michael Jackson thing was a joke..

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

10 July 2013
7.41am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

My response to Funny Paper & LHL certainly seems to have re-enlivened the conversation!

As to MJ, unknown, don’t worry. Joke or not, there’s at least one other person here who may have said, “What about Michael?”

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 July 2013
11.14am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

unknown said
The Michael Jackson thing was a joke..

When I first read that I thought unknown was referring to their creative time together.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 July 2013
2.29pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

Nah, I actually like his songs with MJ. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

10 July 2013
3.19pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

On an up note, The Examiner reports that Paul dedicated Happy Birthday on Sunday not only to Ringo, but to his dad, “Jimmy Mac.”

(Avoid the link if you don’t like concert spoilers.)

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

10 July 2013
9.36pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

I hate Say say say, haven’t heard the other stuff he did with MJ.

Yeah I thought about that too. My grandma is now 84 and she has lost her parents, all of her siblings, her husband, all of her husband’s siblings except for one (we were a very close family), nearly all of her friends and acquaintances. She only has about 3 friends left, of which one is seriously ill, one is seriously ill and dying soon and the other one is way older than her, so that might not take that long anymore either. Besides, one of her sons divorced and moved to the other side of the country, no one knows where, and another one of her sons moved to the other side of the country as well, with his wife and children, so in a way she lost them as well. She hasn’t seen the divorced one in years and the other son visits twice a year, without children and wife.

It must be so hard and horrible not to have anyone anymore to talk to. Of course she has us, but you know, that’s different, she doesn’t have anyone to talk to about the good old times or whatever and she can’t just go away to visit a friend or family. I really can’t imagine how that must be, wow.

10 July 2013
11.57pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Cant stand any of the Macca/Jacko collaborations. Dreadful cheesy crap badly produced with abysmal lyrics.

I try and not think about death in the slightest. I know its a part of life but I don’t want to go there. I have lost extended family and that was bad, just horrible – to lose someone incredibly close to you, a partner, child, friend, parent, whatever, must be truly horrific, God knows how terrible it must be to lose more eg lose your whole family. And then you have the circumstances of how it happens. I think, having no experience in it, its more just being there for them as no words can come close but what do I know.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

11 July 2013
2.49am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

Linde said
I hate Say say say, haven’t heard the other stuff he did with MJ.

Yeah I thought about that too. My grandma is now 84 and she has lost her parents, all of her siblings, her husband, all of her husband’s siblings except for one (we were a very close family), nearly all of her friends and acquaintances. She only has about 3 friends left, of which one is seriously ill, one is seriously ill and dying soon and the other one is way older than her, so that might not take that long anymore either. Besides, one of her sons divorced and moved to the other side of the country, no one knows where, and another one of her sons moved to the other side of the country as well, with his wife and children, so in a way she lost them as well. She hasn’t seen the divorced one in years and the other son visits twice a year, without children and wife.

It must be so hard and horrible not to have anyone anymore to talk to. Of course she has us, but you know, that’s different, she doesn’t have anyone to talk to about the good old times or whatever and she can’t just go away to visit a friend or family. I really can’t imagine how that must be, wow.

If you had the time, you could sit down with her one day a month to record her memories.  Have a recording device, and a notebook to jot things down, and just let her reminisce, and ask questions whenever you feel necessary.  She might have very interesting memories, historical as well as personal.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

11 July 2013
4.08am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

I second the jotting down/recording memories suggestion. I did that with my grandmother. She was also very happy when I asked her to help me track her branch of the family tree.

parlance

11 July 2013
7.39am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

Speaking of Paul and his dad, I found a nice picture of them on tumblr the other day:

tumblr_inline_mpbh960zWw1qz4rgp.jpgImage Enlarger

a-hard-days-night-paul-8

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 July 2013
10.18am
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613

^ I love the video that picture is from; Paul and the rest of Wings returning to a Liverpool pub that he presumably frequented as a younger man and mingling/singing with all the old locals as if nothing had changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..5vkJ7RruBk

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

11 July 2013
11.36am
Gerard
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 683

On a brighter note: Ivan and Paul shared the same birthday.

12 July 2013
5.31am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

Ben Ramon said
^ I love the video that picture is from; Paul and the rest of Wings returning to a Liverpool pub that he presumably frequented as a younger man and mingling/singing with all the old locals as if nothing had changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..5vkJ7RruBk

That’s right!  I love this video as well.  Isn’t it from the ‘James Paul McCartney ‘ special from TV years ago?

.. and at 1:12, that thing he does with his smoke…  I love that.  I have tried to imitate it but dammit I can’t do it.  ahdn_paul_01 That sassy bastard with his sassy smoking talents.  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

6 July 2016
12.04pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

Let’s all take a moment today to soak in the meaning of this day. A most holy day on the Beatles calendar.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Eleanor Macca, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, C.R.A., Beatlebug
6 July 2016
12.25pm
Eleanor Macca
Following the sun ....
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 251

It was 59 years ago today…
Paul showed John that he could play
They are never goin’ out of style
Neither fail to make us smile 🙂

image-4.jpegImage Enlarger

So let me just say “thanks” to you

That after all these years…

You’re still the greatest baaaaand!!!  heart

The following people thank Eleanor Macca for this post:

Ahhh Girl, sigh butterfly, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, C.R.A., Beatlebug, natureaker

'Put music to our troubles and we'll dance them away..." 

6 July 2016
3.07pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798

Thanks @Eleanor Macca , I will never tire of thinking about their friendship apple01

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Eleanor Macca

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

6 July 2016
3.25pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

…and lo the archangel Ivan said unto John, “Let there be Paul”.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Eleanor Macca, Starr Shine?, Ahhh Girl, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, C.R.A., Beatlebug, natureaker

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

7 July 2016
1.28am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

Has anyone ever heard a song written about this day?

7 July 2016
1.30am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

Zig said
…and lo the archangel Ivan…

…Should get a plaque or a statue or something.

What a debt of gratitude owed!

The following people thank C.R.A. for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, Zig
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694