Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
July 6th 1957
6 July 2013
7.52pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Today is the anniversary of John and Paul meeting each other through their mutual friend. I’m sure we all know the story of John singing for the Quarry Men and making up the words as he went, Paul playing “Twenty Flight Rock” on the guitar (upside down?)…   

What if they had never met that day? Would they have met otherwise?  Would the world be a different place?  

I hope Fiona Fu makes another drawing, she did one a few years ago for the anniversary and it was amazing.

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

7 July 2013
3.41am
HeyTrud
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 550

What an amazing day it must have been! 

I think the meeting was meant to be, so they would have met another day and time, if not this one. That’s just my opinion.  a-hard-days-night-george-10  The world most definitely would be a different place without John & Paul’s music.  For one thing…we wouldn’t all be here together.

Can you share said Fiona Fu drawing?!

a-hard-days-night-john-3a-hard-days-night-paul-5= heart

"....take a sad song & make it Meilleur"....

7 July 2013
4.48am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

In that recent interview with Charlie Rose, Paul recounts how he impressed John by showing him he had memorized all the lyrics to some American rock song at the time. 

Paul said, half-joking (and half-serious) that if he hadn’t impressed him this way, he may never have gotten into John’s band (The Quarrymen).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

7 July 2013
11.11pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

I always wonder if they would have achieved success, maybe individually or with another band, hadn’t they met that day.

7 July 2013
11.37pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I always think the more important meeting, and this may sound like heresy, was Paul’s meeting with Ivan Vaughan. Lennon and McCartney’s paths may well have crossed at some stage during those Liverpool years, but would the older John have paid much attention to the younger Paul? They have often commented on how big the age gap seemed at that age. It was the link of a mutual friend that meant John and Paul met in the way that they did, and that John didn’t just brush off the little kid. In exactly the same way that Paul’s friendship with George meant that John didn’t immediately brush off the even younger boy.

That day in 1957 is remembered for the moment in history that it is, but what if Paul had never met Ivan Vaughan (who was born on the same day as him, fact fans!).

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 July 2013
4.42am
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

Funny Paper said
In that recent interview with Charlie Rose, Paul recounts how he impressed John by showing him he had memorized all the lyrics to some American rock song at the time. 

Paul said, half-joking (and half-serious) that if he hadn’t impressed him this way, he may never have gotten into John’s band (The Quarrymen).

Yes, I remember that from another interview, he was referring to “Twenty Flight Rock”…  I think he played and sang another song too, but I am not sure, I would have to look it up.

HeyTrud said
What an amazing day it must have been! 

I think the meeting was meant to be, so they would have met another day and time, if not this one. That’s just my opinion.  a-hard-days-night-george-10  The world most definitely would be a different place without John & Paul’s music.  For one thing…we wouldn’t all be here together.

Can you share said Fiona Fu drawing?!

a-hard-days-night-john-3a-hard-days-night-paul-5= heart

a-hard-days-night-george-10

It’s huge, so she posted it in eight chunks.   I have a version on pinterest as a whole long picture, but it doesn’t post right, it warps.  

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o1_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o2_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o3_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o4_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o5_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o6_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o7_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_m79k0adtJD1qmlbc7o8_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

Beautiful, right?  The images in the fourth picture is what my artist used for George and Ringo for my tattoo. heart

The following people thank LongHairedLady for this post:

Midori78

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 July 2013
7.13am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Paul seems very good at memorizing other people’s songs.  Some famous rock musician (possibly of the Zombies, not sure) recounted how when he visited Paul at his house, Paul proceeded to play one of the guy’s songs in its entirety, from memory, and really impressed him.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

8 July 2013
12.14pm
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

I wish I was better at that.  It’s one of the challenges I am facing learning to play guitar.  I am okay at remembering chords, but it’s remembering them in a song.  I can remember a chunk of them, but it’s hard to remember the whole song.  Maybe I just need to practice more.  ahdn_paul_01

8 July 2013
1.47pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

mja6758 said
I always think the more important meeting, and this may sound like heresy, was Paul’s meeting with Ivan Vaughan. Lennon and McCartney’s paths may well have crossed at some stage during those Liverpool years, but would the older John have paid much attention to the younger Paul? They have often commented on how big the age gap seemed at that age. It was the link of a mutual friend that meant John and Paul met in the way that they did, and that John didn’t just brush off the little kid. In exactly the same way that Paul’s friendship with George meant that John didn’t immediately brush off the even younger boy.

That day in 1957 is remembered for the moment in history that it is, but what if Paul had never met Ivan Vaughan (who was born on the same day as him, fact fans!).

That meeting (Paul – Ivan), actually, is the more important one, as you say. No Ivan, no guarantee that John would have ever met Paul. But here, on the 6th July ’57, the angry young Mr Lennon meets the younger, not so angry Mr McCartney. Whether this day is really the important day is debatable, but it’s certainly an important one.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

8 July 2013
2.11pm
HeyTrud
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 550

LHL!  Thanks for posting that Fiona Fu.  Beautiful!  Amazing!  She does incredible work.  Wowza!  apple01 heart

"....take a sad song & make it Meilleur"....

8 July 2013
9.14pm
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 No problem!  heart

9 July 2013
1.17am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

That guy Ivan mentioned above by mja was one of Paul’s boyhood friends.  Paul in that Charlie Rose interview talked about Ivan and how he went on to become a Greek  & Latin professor at Cambridge, then died tragically young of Parkinson’s.  On that show, Paul read a poem he wrote in memory of him, called simply “Ivan”. 

I never knew about Ivan before.  That would make four dearly loved people Paul has lost in his life — all untimely and tragic — Ivan, John, Linda, and George.

9 July 2013
1.54am
LongHairedLady
Candlestick Park
Members

Funny Paper said
That guy Ivan mentioned above by mja was one of Paul’s boyhood friends.  Paul in that Charlie Rose interview talked about Ivan and how he went on to become a Greek  & Latin professor at Cambridge, then died tragically young of Parkinson’s.  On that show, Paul read a poem he wrote in memory of him, called simply “Ivan”. 

I never knew about Ivan before.  That would make four dearly loved people Paul has lost in his life — all untimely and tragic — Ivan, John, Linda, and George.

Five, his mother too.  heart

10 July 2013
5.33am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

LongHairedLady said

Funny Paper said

Five, his mother too.  heart

I often find the bit players interesting. The “What ifs…?” and coincidences that brought all the pieces together.

It’ll be interesting to see what light Lewisohn throws on Ivan in a few months, someone who is more accurately described as a boyhood friend of John and a later schoolmate of Paul (though Paul’s relationship with Ivan as they grew older remained – and became closer – than John’s with Ivan).

There are other connections between Ivan and Paul, Ivan and The Beatles, which show how he was – like Pete Shotton and John – one of the Liverpool friends that remained firmly in the inner circle. When, in 1965, Paul was looking for French lyrics for Michelle , it was Ivan’s wife, Jan – a French teacher, who provided them (though imagine how different the Vaughans’ life might have had she been given a small royalty for her contribution!).

In the late ’60s, among those many ideas that floated around for what Apple could do, was the idea of an international-style school based on hippy ethics. Ivan was employed by Apple to head this up until, like so many Apple ideas, fell through.

Another little irony, Ivan Vaughan – the man who introduced Paul to John – was an occasional (tea-chest) bassist with The Quarrymen. One of John’s bassists introduced him to someone who would become his most important bassist.

The poem about Ivan that Funny Paper refers to was actually the first poem (ie. not intended to be turned into a song lyric) Paul had written since his schooldays. He later said it was the beginning of him putting together the book Blackbird Singing: Poems and Lyrics, 1965-1999 – which, of course, included the Lennon-McCartney lyric Ivan’s wife had helped with.

Both of you though, you disappoint me with your list of those “dearly loved” by Paul who were lost tragically and early. You both miss an important one, and someone Paul has said was “someone we loved dearly”. See if you can fill in the gap I’ve helpfully dated for you in your joint list.

Mary McCartney (1956); ?? (1967); John Lennon (1980); Ivan Vaughan (1993); Linda McCartney (1998); George Harrison (2001).

Now both go “Oops!”

It’s also interesting to note that the deaths of those close battered John much more early on. Uncle George. Julia . Stuart Sutcliffe. And then my mysterious figure from 1967 – whose death you can see just how “shocked and stunned” (and lost) John is when he George and Ringo face the press in Bangor (Paul already heading back to London).

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 July 2013
5.42am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

Brian! I was thinking that too, and what about Michael Jackson? You guys all forgot about him I guess. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

10 July 2013
5.47am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

^^ I got the feeling Paul and Michael Jackson were never close again after the buying-of-the-rights thing, even if they might have made a kind of peace with each other.

And then there’s Paul’s dad. Jim passed in 1976.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

10 July 2013
5.52am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

Yeah, but his dad was kind of old. I guess it still could have been untimely, but we don’t know that. It might have been right on time. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

10 July 2013
6.01am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

I was thinking more from the perspective of Paul losing quite a few loved ones, some at a fairly young age. Paul was still in his 30s when his father passed.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

10 July 2013
6.01am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I have the same feeling as parlance about Michael Jackson and Paul I’m afraid, unknown. I might even be a little dismissive and call it a “show-business friendship”. The truth is that their friendship lasted for about six years, and I doubt whether Paul ever really considered Michael as part of his “inner circle”.

As to Jim, parlance, his death at the age of 73, I don’t think can be counted among those who were tragic and early. While we are growing used to growing life expectancy, for a man of Jim’s generation, 73 was a damn respectable age to reach.

EDIT: I was writing as the above two were exchanged. This is my response to post 16.

10 July 2013
6.26am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456

Regrettable to think about but Paul’s probably lost a lot more folks who meant as much or more to him than famous former professional acquaintances, however close they may have been. Being 71 years old means you’ve probably attended way too many funerals in your life. :(

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694