Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Johanneshovs Isstadion July 28 1964 - New Unbooted Audio
31 July 2014
1.21pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Previously unbooted tracks that the Beatles played at their concert at the Johanneshovs Isstadion in Stockhom on the 28th 1964 have surfaced online. On the incomplete recording we get to hear ‘I Saw Her Standing There ‘ (already in progress), ‘You Can’t Do That ‘, ‘She Loves You ‘, All My Loving  (the one track we had heard before as it was broadcast on Swedish radio back in October 2012 (see here)), ‘Roll Over Beethoven ‘, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love ‘ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man ‘. Hopefully the whole show will appear eventually but this is very exciting and shows that new unbooted material is out there.

You can hear the recording here (be quick it might go before too long). 

[All credit for the heads-up goes to the folk over at the Bootlegzone forum.]

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Billy Rhythm

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 August 2014
9.14pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wogblog article on the new unearthed concert.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Billy Rhythm

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 August 2014
10.26pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Yes, this is “very exciting” indeed, great find!  Things like this give me hope that we’ll one day get to hear something from that UK Tour in late 1965.  The fidelity here isn’t the greatest, Paul & George’s microphone is way upfront whilest John’s is pretty much non-existent.  The nice thing about hearing Paul & George so loud is that there’s little curios audible inbetween their vocal bits that wouldn’t have been heard otherwise.  That’s what I love about Beatleg hunting, many of the tracks are the same across many of the recordings, but each offering has their own little unique characteristics and this one is no exception, thanks again for posting…:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

meanmistermustard
3 August 2014
12.19am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

As described in the wogblog article (link posted above) its one track from a stereo recording, John’s side being whats missing. Its actually pretty cool getting to hear a largely instrumental ‘You Can’t Do That ‘, Paul and George only singing ‘She Loves You ‘ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man ‘ Ringo-less, and as you say Billy it brings out bits and pieces you otherwise might not have heard like Paul’s gibberish at the beginning of ‘She Loves You ‘ or meow at the end of ‘I Saw Her Standing There a-hard-days-night-paul-9.

I wonder if maybe whoever put out the tape kept the full stereo to themselves for either personal gain or to be able to sell for a better price as complete – unlikely it is however. 

And yeah it makes me wonder as well what else might come out, i’d like to get some really good quality concerts from the UK, regardless of the year. Hopefully the live documentary thats scheduled for next year will feature complete rarities (i dread the thought of the film including 30 seconds of a track before it fades out or some hybrid edit taken from 3 different concerts like we got with many ‘Anthology’ cuts and on ‘Let It Be Naked’).

3 August 2014
4.29pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Most fascinating that this unearthed treasure would be part of a rare Stereo recording, I was imagining what John’s channel would’ve sounded like had they been swapped around where you’d hear his tidbits inbetween his vocal parts, I’m sure there would’ve been a “Bloody Hell!” in there somewhere whilst being caught up in the Mania.

Sometimes I wonder about all of those precious Beatle performances that have been lost forever in time, and how if only the technology had of been more readily available to allow for more and better recordings to become commonplace, I think that it would take away from the “archaeology” aspect which makes these rarer poor quality finds all the more special.  I don’t think that they’d sound all that much different from each other either really, this particular find wouldn’t have sounded much different than say another recording from a different country whereas, as is, it’s distinctly unique from most other Beatle performances that I’ve heard.

I remember when I first heard the ‘Live at Hollywood Bowl’ album and, although I marveled at what I heard, I couldn’t help notice the absence of ‘You Can’t Do That ‘ from the 1964 recording for it was one of my favourite songs from that era.  It took me YEARS to find a Beatleg with the entire show so I could finally hear this Classic Heavy John Lennon song performed live, and now there’s been “new” recordings like this one making their rounds featuring the song which would’ve seemed like such a dream come true to me way back then.  As good as the Hollywood Bowl performance of ‘You Can’t Do That ‘ is, the boys do sound a little tired of playing it live by then when you compare it to the exuberance of the earlier Australian (‘Anthology’ video) version, which is still the best live rendering that I’ve heard, but this “new” version is certainly the most unique one I’ve heard, that’s for sure…:-)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691