Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatley Moments
23 June 2015
1.03pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3481sp_Permalink sp_Print

On Sunday Morning (the show) there was an interview with Pat Boone, and guess which fab English rock group came up? Link 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

29 June 2015
3.57pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3482sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve had quite a few over the past 2 weeks:

On Paul’s birthday, my mam, my brother and I were driving up north to go to the dentist and ‘No More Lonely Nights (Ballad)’ was playing- now I love that song so my mam and I had a sing-a-long good times.

While I was walking up the stairs to the dentist’s office, I heard a snippet of Something on the radio.

When I was going through Terminal 2 of Dublin Airport to catch my flight, I saw this picture next to one of the shops:

Image Enlarger

^ (Zoomed in on the boys of course). This is a shot from 1963 on the old Terminal 1 site, a couple of hours before the lads played their first (and only) evening in the Republic. 

Five out of the seven complete books that I’ve read so far since the “Exam That Shall Not Be Named”- have contained Beatles references. Stephen Fry’s book quoted multiple Beatle lyrics from ‘She Loves You ‘, ‘I Saw Her Standing There ‘ and John’s ‘Imagine ‘ to prove if the past had been altered since the narrator had sterilised Hitler’s father (long story). ‘Cloud Atlas’ also said you better not call your VW Beetle “John, Paul, George or Ringo’ if you want to be original.

While looking for a way to pass by the evenings, I was flicking through online radio stations and settled on an 80’s themed one. After the first song ‘The Power of Love’, ‘No More Lonely Nights’ came on! T’is magic I tell ya!

I was also in a shopping centre a couple of days ago to grab some bread and milk and while I was walking past a music shop, I saw a t-shirt with this picture on it

In the same window display, I also saw (keep in my mind my eyesight isn’t the best for far-distances) a record with a label of photos from The White Album ‘s postcards on it and the title read “The Silver Beatles” which doesn’t make historically sense but whatever- it was pretty cool that I could spot a small Beatles picture from 10m away!

I have become increasingly less obsessed to buy Beatles merch as I go along (this August will mark my 3rd year as a hardcore Beatles fan *wipes tear away*) so I didn’t buy either of the 2 things that I saw.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

29 June 2015
4.01pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
3483sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was in a supermarket and ‘For You Blue ‘ came on, not a common track to hear when out and about.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl, BeatleSnut

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

29 June 2015
9.19pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979
3484sp_Permalink sp_Print

(I think I already posted this – but maybe I just meant to. If I did, dear Admins, feel free to delete)

About ten days ago I had a chance to chat with Billy J Kramer who told the following story:

In the early, early Beatle days Billy J was listening to Lennon play a tune on the piano. Lennon said, “Do you want it?” and Kramer said, “sure.” It was “Do You Want To Know A Secret ?”  Then he played another tune and again asked Billy J if he wanted it. “Sure.” It was “Bad to Me.” (Both of these were hits in GB for Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas.)

Finally, Lennon played a third song. “Sounds good,” said Kramer, “I’m happy to take that one too.”

“No,” said Lennon, “I think we’re keeping this one.”

It was “I Want To Hold Your Hand .”

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

Beatlebug, Ron Nasty, Necko, Zig, Ahhh Girl, O Boogie, Linde, BeatleSnut

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

29 June 2015
9.43pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
3485sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 a-hard-days-night-ringo-6  

@Into the Sky with Diamonds WOW that is an awesome story.  

bbthank-4.jpg

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

29 June 2015
9.46pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

It’s a great story, @Into the Sky with Diamonds, but it’s also impossible. Billy’s misremembering things.

Billy’s version of Do You Want To Know A Secret  (backed with I’ll Be on My Way) was released in April 1963.

In fact, it was released 2 days before John and Brian went off on their infamous Spanish holiday, which is where Bad to Me was written (John’s demo being recorded in May 1963 on his return to England).

Billy’s recording of Bad to Me (backed with I Call Your Name ) was released in July 1963.

I Want To Hold Your Hand  was written at the Ashers’ on Wimpole Street at the beginning of October 1963.

So, as you can see, the timeline is all wrong for Billy to be remembering things correctly. It seems several events have become mixed-up in his memory and portrayed as all happening at the same.

Sorry about that!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

30 June 2015
9.46am
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
3487sp_Permalink sp_Print

No problem – it fits in perfectly with my theory that ‘just because you were there doesn’t mean you’re the best biographer of your own history’ (wink to McCartney’s “Early Days “)

But even if the events were spread out, it still makes for a good story – and maybe … it’s just a story.

30 June 2015
11.36am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3488sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Into the Sky with Diamonds Did Kramer say he heard Lennon playing those tunes one right after the other or were they on different occasions? If they were separate events, over periods of time, it could still be true.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

30 June 2015
7.09pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
3489sp_Permalink sp_Print

He made it sound like it was one occasion – but perhaps it was to simplify or for effect.

Still fun imagining the interaction.

30 June 2015
7.41pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3490sp_Permalink sp_Print

And the thing is, @Into the Sky with Diamonds @Zig, the story works if he’s misremembering the songs involved. For instance, if the event happened in late June 1963, the songs involved could have been Bad to MeI Call Your Name and She Loves You .

It’s just that it doesn’t work as something that happened after I Want To Hold Your Hand  was written in October 1963 because Billy had already released the other two songs. I think it’s most likely that a scene like it did happen, but the songs involved were not all of those he remembers.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 July 2015
10.27pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
3491sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was walking to the nearest liquor store to pick up a pack of smokes (Nasty habit, kids.  Don’t pick it up.) and I heard Beatle songs.  I then remembered that the tribute band American English was playing at Frontier Days (a city celebration with music, temporary rides, and food held over 4TH of July weekend).  I’ve seen them several times dating back to 2002, but haven’t seen them in at least five years.  I didn’t go to see them, but it was a long walk and I caught a few songs.  Here’s what I remember hearing:

A Day In The Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Get Back

Don’t Let Me Down

Hey Jude

Live And Let Die

They sounded good.

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

5 July 2015
10.35pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
3492sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was watching ‘Strike Back’ my fav shoot ’em up series and they have to connect with an agent in present day North Korea………The agent asks, “How are John, Paul, George and Ringo?”

“Ah” comes the reply, “The Beatles are doing just fine”

Then the shooting starts.

6 July 2015
6.22am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792

Ron Nasty said
And the thing is, @Into the Sky with Diamonds @Zig, the story works if he’s misremembering the songs involved. For instance, if the event happened in late June 1963, the songs involved could have been Bad to MeI Call Your Name and She Loves You .

It’s just that it doesn’t work as something that happened after I Want To Hold Your Hand  was written in October 1963 because Billy had already released the other two songs. I think it’s most likely that a scene like it did happen, but the songs involved were not all of those he remembers.

Before any contemporaries of the Beatles tell any stories about the days when they were fab, they should clear their facts with @Ron Nasty or @meanmistermustard.  It would save them a lot of embarrassment.  As a matter of fact maybe RN and mmm could open a virtual shop and charge story tellers for fact checking.  It could be called, let’s see, Nasty Mustard. 

And the business already has a meme

View post on imgur.com

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Into the Sky with Diamonds, Ron Nasty

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

6 July 2015
6.43am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I like hearing the stories even if a few inaccuracies are included. I’d hate to think they would not tell them just in case a detail here or there was incorrect; these memories also can mean a lot to people and we have to remember that. I think thats what annoys Paul more than getting it wrong. Recounting a memory of doing something with John and then some guy 27 years old pips up saying “sorry Paul, in 1965 you were in Spain on the 3rd July and couldnt possible have been in France smoking pot that night” must grate.

As for myself i know a whole lot less than many experts know and a whole lot less than folk may think i do, its what makes it so much fun being on here and a few other places as you’re always learning and reading new stuff. Plus i’m always getting stuff wrong and having to check books, my memory sucks. Thankfully i found a good few Beatles books online that are great reference points (some of which i downloaded – i bought copies legit so its fine in my opinion) so its a quick jump over there to see and then quote. Makes you look smarter if you have the answers to hand. a-hard-days-night-john-6

And before I forget there are a ton of other folk on here who know just as much as me and Ron, they just arent on as much as us and/or dont get the opportunity to answer points and demonstrate it as much, which is a shame.

Beatlebug, georgiewood, Ahhh Girl, Into the Sky with Diamonds, Ron Nasty, BeatleSnut

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 July 2015
6.08pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I’m only here because I saw the haircuts and thought it was a Rutles site.

I just make everything up as I go along in a vain attempt to make it look like I belong. a-hard-days-night-george-10

There’s no right thread for this, so happy birthday Barry Wom.

Let the good time roll!

heart

georgiewood

7 July 2015
6.50pm
Merch
Englishisnotmynativelanguageland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 275
3496sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was watching TV with my brother and Happy Feet was starting, and it had a cover of Golden Slumbers . Though, I didn’t know which movie was and when I realized it was Happy Feet, I just

Image Enlarger

Anyway, I was never a big fan of the movie.

The following people thank Merch for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

"We think George Harrison is the most marvelous thing since boys were discovered." - Diane and Jenny of Bedford, the smartest girls ever.

12 July 2015
7.57pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
3497sp_Permalink sp_Print

In one of my recently acquired library books (which took place in 1964) there was a character who loved to tell stories (whoppers, that is to say) and the text read: 

‘Or the time I bragged to the kids in my social studies class, “I got a record player for Christmas,” when everyone knew my pop couldn’t afford to put that much under the tree. “The Beatles sent it themselves,” I added. “There was the sweetest little note from Ringo!”‘ 

beatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Linde

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

19 July 2015
5.08am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The Independent online has ‘The Big Brit Quiz‘ which includes at question 35

How many of the Beatles were (or are) left-handed?

I failed however since I got question 11 correct (“Which drink claimed to be brewed in Scotland “from girders” ) I get to stay in Scotland.

363.gifImage Enlarger

Linde

19 July 2015
10.42am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

Paul and Ringo?

20 July 2015
4.04pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3500sp_Permalink sp_Print

At the U2 concert, I wore one of my Beatles T-shirts – the classic black shirt with the white drop-T logo. Since I was sitting on the aisle, many people passed by me either going into our row or up and down the stairs. I got a lot of high fives, thumbs up, “Yeah Beatles!”, etc… One lady who was passing by said, “Hey, cool shirt! Did you see them in concert?”. Stunned, I replied “How old do I look?”. The quizzical expression on her face told me she did not understand what she was implying or why I was asking her that. ahdn_paul_01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: vonbontee, Sea Belt
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694