Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatley Moments
29 May 2014
7.31pm
thisbirdhasflown
Standing in the dock at Southhampton...
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1762
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2801sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Wonderwall could have been decent if a) it hasnt been played well past tolerance levels, b) the chorus wasn’t repeated to the point of overkill and c) Liam didn’t sing it.

@meanmistermustard If Liam didn’t sing ANYTHING, the world would automatically be a better place. Less Liam, More Paul!a-hard-days-night-john-6

By hook or by crook, I'll be last in this book.

29 May 2014
8.36pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
2802sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
There’s always this Album top 100 thing on Ascension day on my favourite radio station, and usually there’s at least three Beatles albums. Last year The White Album was already gone, but this year we lost Abbey Road and Revolver too, so there’s only Sgt Pepper left on the list. It ended up on 18 though, so I guess that’s good. They play 2 songs off of every album, one hit and one good album track this time, so I guess they’ll play Lucy and ADITL.

I just can’t stand the fact that things like Macklemore, Bastille and Imagine Dragons made the list and we lost two Beatlesalbums, a Stones album and some other good stuff to that.

Well, Imagine Dragons is better than the Rolling Stones, so that works. Macklemore at least is total crap, and I haven’t heard any Bastille. None of them are better than the Beatles though. 

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

29 May 2014
8.38pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2803sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, I really like Oasis. They definitely don’t belong in the same category (or anywhere near it) as current pop acts. They’re a good band.

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Linde

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

29 May 2014
10.05pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2804sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excuse me, Imagine Dragons better than the Stones? I don’t think so. 

Yeah I actually quite like Macklemore, his songs are alright..well, they were, before they were overplayed. I just don’t think he deserves to be in a top 100 of best albums of all time. I actually think there should be some kind of rule where albums should be at least..I don’t know, 5 years old? before they could be nominated. I want a list of best albums of all time, classics. Not a list of which half are albums which just came out and are still the only albums an artist has released. Or one hit wonders.

Look At Me , getting all fed up about some list.

Bastille is boring. My sister is a huge fan and we’re going to the Pinkpop festival together so I’m actually getting forced to see them. I’m so bored of their songs, they all sound the same. And that for one and a half hours long. Woopdiedoo.

The following people thank Linde for this post:

Sky999
29 May 2014
10.23pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2805sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

Almost everyone is better than the Stones. At least Dan can sing.

29 May 2014
10.25pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2806sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 The Black Eye Peas?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

29 May 2014
10.30pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2807sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
ahdn_paul_06 The Black Eye Peas?

Almost everyone, I did say

29 May 2014
10.56pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
2808sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

I don’t think so either a-hard-days-night-george-10

If they’re around for about 50 years then we will talk. 

29 May 2014
11.09pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2809sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sky999 said

Linde said

I don’t think so either a-hard-days-night-george-10

If they’re around for about 50 years then we will talk. 

I have a thing against the Stones. They’re (to me) easily the most overrated band ever.

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Mimi

30 May 2014
12.49am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
2810sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
Oh, I really like Oasis. They definitely don’t belong in the same category (or anywhere near it) as current pop acts. They’re a good band.

I remember back in the day when Noel Gallagher claimed Oasis was better than the Beatles. He said it on 120 Minutes and Matt Pinfield (the host) had this perfect “You must be joking” look on his face.

I’ve always wondered how Zak Starkey felt about that comment. He doesn’t really live off his father’s accomplishments, but surely he has to feel a little prideful towards his old man’s band.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

30 May 2014
12.56am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2811sp_Permalink sp_Print

WETSRoosa said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

I remember back in the day when Noel Gallagher claimed Oasis was better than the Beatles. He said it on 120 Minutes and Matt Pinfield (the host) had this perfect “You must be joking” look on his face.

I’ve always wondered how Zak Starkey felt about that comment. He doesn’t really live off his father’s accomplishments, but surely he has to feel a little prideful towards his old man’s band.

I mean, I certainly wasn’t comparing them to The Beatles, or even Green Day, Radiohead, or Nirvana. I’m saying they deserve at least some respect from the rock crowd for two pretty great albums. 

(I do realize you already know what I meant by it, just clearing up my original post)

30 May 2014
4.54am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
2812sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel so stupid, I’ve been driving this road for years (it’s the highway exit to my best friend’s house).  Today I happened to notice that the street is named…

Abbey Road

I feel I deserve a “damn good whacking” for not noticing this 10 years ago!  It’s been my favorite Beatles album for all of my musically-aware life, my favorite album overall except during my Deadhead days.  I have to say though, Revolver is giving it a serious run for its money atm.

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

parlance, Sky999

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2014
12.08pm
MrMoonlight
Alone in the clouds all blue...
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 832
2813sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby said
I feel so stupid, I’ve been driving this road for years (it’s the highway exit to my best friend’s house).  Today I happened to notice that the street is named…

Abbey Road

I feel I deserve a “damn good whacking” for not noticing this 10 years ago!  It’s been my favorite Beatles album for all of my musically-aware life, my favorite album overall except during my Deadhead days.  I have to say though, Revolver is giving it a serious run for its money atm.

WHAT THE BILLY SHEARS

30 May 2014
12.27pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
2814sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Sky999 said
Not exactly a good Beatley moment:  http://www.billboard.com/artic…..es-beatles

Iggy whats-her-face? Never heard of her :P

I don’t know whether I should be proud of that or not, I am still a teenager ahdn_paul_02

I have no idea who she is either! If they’re gonna match records set by The Beatles, I should have at least heard of them.

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2014
3.38pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Mr. Kite said

AppleScruffJunior said

Sky999 said

Not exactly a good Beatley moment:  http://www.billboard.com/artic…..es-beatles

Iggy whats-her-face? Never heard of her :P

I don’t know whether I should be proud of that or not, I am still a teenager ahdn_paul_02

I have no idea who she is either! If they’re gonna match records set by The Beatles, I should have at least heard of them.

Sheesh.  No offense to any Aussies here, but with the accent and the fast speed of rap, I couldn’t understand a single word of it!  Let’s see if they even keep the two in the Hot 100 for…as the Beatles did.  And that record is perhaps the most feeble of the records held by our boys, and somehow I have a doubt they’ll reach the next milestone (which I guess would  be having their first two singles hold the top 2 spots for 6 weeks).  Let’s see if they can continue on to match some other Beatles records, to wit:

Most #1 singles in a consecutive year:  The top two spots, 6 and 5, in 1964 and 1965

Most consecutive years with a #1 single: 2nd to Mariah Carey (11, 1985-1988) with 7 (1964-1966)  (and if you count the #1s by at least one of them solo, they have the #1 spot, probably by a fairly wide margin).  Nowhere Man broke the streak, only reaching #3 (aww…)

Cumulative weeks at #1: 3rd to Elvis and and Mariah (79) with 59

Although Elvis is listed first in consecutive weeks with the top 2 singles (2). I can’t figure out why, as he only occupied the top 2 for 2 weeks while the Beatles did for 8 or 9: From February 22, 1964 until April 25, 1964 the Beatles held the top two positions, with various singles. In some of the weeks, the band held the top three or top four slots, the only act in chart history to do so. On April 4, 1964, The Beatles occupied the entire top five. Iggy does appear on this list, holding the top 2 for a single week so far, oddly enough on the 7.6.2014 chart, which one would think hasn’t been published yet. (that’s 6.7.2014 for us anachronistic Americans).

Simultaneously three or more singles in the top 10: The Beatles: February 29, 1964 through May 2, 1964 (the only act with more than three singles in the top ten simultaneously)

Produces the most #1 singles: George Martin (23).  A distant 2nd goes to Max Martin (18) who produces such acts as Katy Perry and Britney Spears (let’s hope he doesn’t score 5 more!)

Most #1 singles: Paul (32), second is John (26) [this includes their singles as the Beatles], an again distant 3rd are Mariah Carey and Max Martin (17) – Max is a songwriter/producer, George is/was a musician/producer

Most #1 singles in a calendar year: Lennon/McCartney (7, 1964), 2nd place is 5 (oddly, they list the singles, but list Peter and Gordon as tied (7, 1964) but only list 1 song of theirs)

writing the most consecutively charted (self-replacing) #1 song: Our team (4)

writing the most consecutively charted (self-replacing) #1 songs: Lennon/McCartney (6) [the 5 in 1964 and We Can Work It Out (1966), tied with Barry Gibb.  Interestingly, they are also tied for 3rd (5) with Barry’s fellow Bee Gee brothers, Maurice and Robin.]

Most entries in the Hot 100 in a single week: Our team (14!).  Taylor Swift got close with 11, not sure if she holds the #2 spot but she’s the #1 female.

writing all of the Top 3 singles for one week: John Lennon , Paul McCartney , Barry Gibb, and Robin Gibb

John is also one of 7 artists with a posthumous #1 single (Just Like Starting Over) [the others were Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, Jim Croce, The Notorious B.I.G. with 2, Soulja Slim, and Static Major]

All this came from this Wiki entry.  Needless to say, our team also holds or ties several #2-#5 record spots.

EDIT:  I’m learning.  I saved this one off several times in the process of composing it :)

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

vonbontee, Mr. Kite

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2014
3.57pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444

meanmistermustard said

Wonderwall could have been decent if a) it hasnt been played well past tolerance levels, b) the chorus wasn’t repeated to the point of overkill and c) Liam didn’t sing it.

He didn’t! He can’t have. Nobody in that band can sing.

Exhaustive research up there, Matt! Personally, I kinda can’t take seriously the results of modern Billboard charts – not to say that I don’t regard them as inaccurate, but the fact that their data incorporates such nebulous things as itunes downloads and Youtube hits leads me to regard the whole thing as somehow less “real” than the old charts.

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Matt Busby

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

30 May 2014
8.01pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
2817sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said

meanmistermustard said

He didn’t! He can’t have. Nobody in that band can sing.

Exhaustive research up there, Matt! Personally, I kinda can’t take seriously the results of modern Billboard charts – not to say that I don’t regard them as inaccurate, but the fact that their data incorporates such nebulous things as itunes downloads and Youtube hits leads me to regard the whole thing as somehow less “real” than the old charts.

YouTube views should not be counted! You should need to purchase the music for it to count!

Now back on topic. I was in the post office and Let ‘Em In was playing.

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Matt Busby

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2014
8.50pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Stories go around that many of the youtube viewing figures for songs are manipulated by record companies as the higher # of viewers = the more prominently displayed the video = more folk see it = more chance they’ll buy it = more money – well thats the idea, more likely they’ll illegally download it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 May 2014
9.52pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2819sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ If you got high view count on YouTube you get some cash 

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 May 2014
10.02pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2820sp_Permalink sp_Print

WETSRoosa said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

I wonder what Ringo thought when Zak started drumming for Oasis anyway. 

Remember that list I was talking about? Well, when it got to #18, and Sgt Pepper came on, the DJ said he would play three tracks instead of two, and that since Sgt Pepper and With A Little Help From My Friends sort of were 1 track anyway he wasn’t really cheating. The third track was A Day In The Life . It’s quite special, hearing that one on the radio. Also cool they played three tracks instead of two, like they did with the other 99 albums. 

I won’t mention which band ended up at #16 then teehee.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691