Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatley Moments
27 February 2014
9.01pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

parlance said

fabfouremily said

Just different cultures, I guess.

Yes. I don’t want to get too off topic, so I’ll just link to a page that I think does a good job explaining the US mentality towards tipping.

parlance

Yes, you’re right. Thanks for the link.

Naughty Emily stay-on-topic

EDIT: Sorry sorry, but the link won’t work.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

27 February 2014
9.11pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2442sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

EDIT: Sorry sorry, but the link won’t work.

Sorry, here it is.

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

fabfouremily

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

27 February 2014
9.20pm
Bungalow Bob
Seattle, Washington
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 354
2443sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
I’m not sure I understand why you would tip. I mean, the staff do get paid, don’t they? So why do they want more? If I’ve had an exceptional service then I would give them some extra, but only in extreme circumstances. I’ve heard that in many places in the US, the tip is already included in the bill. What a cheek! What if you’re not happy with the service?

Just different cultures, I guess.

Fabfouremily, you are correct, it is different cultures. And like I said, I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t make a big deal out of it if someone from another culture does not leave a tip. My understanding is that bartenders and servers in the UK receive a higher hourly wage than we do in the US. It’s kind of crazy, and I think I would like it better if I did get a higher hourly wage, and there were no “gratuities.” And I don’t like it when restaurants automatically include the tip, either. That is (I hope I’m using this UK term correctly here) cheeky. :)

OK, let’s get back on topic. If I was serving drink to 3 out of the 4 Beatles at the bar, and they “stiffed” me, I would just be happy that I had a great story to tell. (Oh, I might start singing “You Never Give Me Your Money ” under my breath as they left.)

27 February 2014
9.22pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2444sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bungalow Bob said

OK, let’s get back on topic. If I was serving drink to 3 out of the 4 Beatles at the bar, and they “stiffed” me, I would just be happy that I had a great story to tell. (Oh, I might start singing “You Never Give Me Your Money ” under my breath as they left.)

I just hope stiffed didn’t mean not paying the bill itself. I don’t think back then nightclubs were yet in the habit of comping drinks just because you’re awesome.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

27 February 2014
9.25pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2445sp_Permalink sp_Print

Surely they wouldn’t leave without paying? I hope not.

If they just never tipped a lot then I think I would’ve been okay with it. I mean you can hardly complain when the Beatles walk in and you get to serve them! I’d jump at the chance, tip or no tip. But I suppose I’m a fan so there’s your difference.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

27 February 2014
9.53pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2446sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

Next time I see my friend, I’ll have to ask her. She’ll probably laugh as I’m sure she only meant to tell the story as an idle aside. But now I’m thinking of this story:

We went out to a Chinese restaurant in Bangor and ate on our own – just the Beatles, myself, maybe one or two others. When the bill came, we couldn’t pay. The Chinese waiter amazingly didn’t recognize them, and he was afraid we were going to do a runner. Suddenly, George put his bare foot on the table and opened the sole of his sandal, where he had hidden a £20 note. The Beatles were like the royal family. They didn’t have money, didn’t use money. But George had put this £20 note there just for this sort of situation.

which makes me wonder what normally happened when someone in their entourage wasn’t around to take care of their tabs, particularly when they weren’t in London, where the proprietors might just know to send a bill.

And go George for being prepared!

parlance

27 February 2014
9.58pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2447sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a strange place to keep money, though. Didn’t he have pockets? :)

(Passover - I. Curtis)

27 February 2014
9.58pm
Bungalow Bob
Seattle, Washington
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 354
2448sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

fabfouremily said

Next time I see my friend, I’ll have to ask her. She’ll probably laugh as I’m sure she only meant to tell the story as an idle aside. But now I’m thinking of this story:

We went out to a Chinese restaurant in Bangor and ate on our own – just the Beatles, myself, maybe one or two others. When the bill came, we couldn’t pay. The Chinese waiter amazingly didn’t recognize them, and he was afraid we were going to do a runner. Suddenly, George put his bare foot on the table and opened the sole of his sandal, where he had hidden a £20 note. The Beatles were like the royal family. They didn’t have money, didn’t use money. But George had put this £20 note there just for this sort of situation.

which makes me wonder what normally happened when someone in their entourage wasn’t around to take care of their tabs, particularly when they weren’t in London, where the proprietors might just know to send a bill.

And go George for being prepared!

parlance

This funny incident sounds like it should have been written into the lyrics of George’s “Old Brown Shoe .” :)

27 February 2014
10.01pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
2449sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

Weren’t their early suit pockets sewn up or came without? (That could be complete nonsense and wrong.)

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 February 2014
10.04pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members

meanmistermustard said

fabfouremily said

Weren’t their early suit pockets sewn up or came without? (That could be complete nonsense and wrong.)

No idea. I suppose, now I think about it, they haven’t got them in A Hard Day’s Night (that I can think of). Wonder what the story there is. I suppose if they didn’t carry money, and mobiles were a little in the future yet, they had no real need for them.

Edit: No, they haven’t

[Image Can Not Be Found]

(Passover - I. Curtis)

27 February 2014
10.06pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

meanmistermustard said

fabfouremily said

And a lot of those flowy hippie shirts and pants are made without pockets.

original.jpgImage Enlarger

b2.jpgImage Enlarger

parlance

27 February 2014
10.31pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

parlance said

meanmistermustard said

fabfouremily said

And a lot of those flowy hippie shirts and pants are made without pockets.

original.jpgImage Enlarger

b2.jpgImage Enlarger

parlance

In the bottom right pic George has his hand in a pocket. Maybe by then he had moved up from keeping money inside shoes – better than keeping it up his nose.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

28 February 2014
8.56pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2453sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just saw on a programme Ringo’s ‘no more autographs’ video as a way for celebs not to treat thier fans. It does look quite bad. No wonder he received a fair bit of hate over it.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

28 February 2014
11.01pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2454sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve never seen anyone give a tip in a restaurant to a waiter in my life. Over here it’s not usual at all. Is it a typical American thing?

28 February 2014
11.20pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
2455sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
I’ve never seen anyone give a tip in a restaurant to a waiter in my life. Over here it’s not usual at all. Is it a typical American thing?

Yep, very, very typical. parlance’s link on the last page of posts has a good summary of the issue.

1 March 2014
6.00am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2456sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
I just saw on a programme Ringo’s ‘no more autographs’ video as a way for celebs not to treat thier fans. It does look quite bad. No wonder he received a fair bit of hate over it.

To be honest, it made me laugh – he comes across as such a “get off my lawn” cranky curmudgeon. And I understand why. And he does still sign items if it benefits for the Lotus Foundation.

parlance

1 March 2014
11.49am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
2457sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

fabfouremily said

I’ve had suits that came with the jacket pocket tacked together by a couple stitches.  I think the idea is you just cut them off.  But in the pictures someone (parlance?) posted, they aren’t wearing suit jackets.

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

1 March 2014
12.14pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2458sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

fabfouremily said

To be honest, it made me laugh – he comes across as such a “get off my lawn” cranky curmudgeon. And I understand why. And he does still sign items if it benefits for the Lotus Foundation.

parlance

Yeah, I suppose if you’re a fan then you have to just laugh. I understand it’s probably a bit of a pain getting hundreds of things to sign all the time (especially if, like he said, a lot of those things are just to go on ebay after so the person can earn a bit of money). Taken out of context though, and he does come across as a grumpy old man who doesn’t really appreciate his fans.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

1 March 2014
11.01pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
2459sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was at the doctors today and the radio station they were playing had “It Don’t Come Easy” by Ringo. 

Later I seen something on FB from one of the local news stations about a peace rally. 

2 March 2014
2.57pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

Yesterday afternoon, I took my mp3 player with me upstairs to listen to the Beatles while I walked on my treadmill. My mom called, and I was talking to her as I finished my walk. Being distracted, I left the mp3 player on the treadmill tray. This morning, I had the water all warm in the shower and realized that I had left the player upstairs. I didn’t go get it. I just turned on the shower radio instead. It is still tuned to the local country music station. And what started playing?!?! This line from Boys ‘Round Here: “Well the boys ’round here don’t listen to The Beatles / Run ole Bocephus through a jukebox needle.”

And why is this a Beatley moment? Just last night, some people started making posts to the Songs With Beatles References thread, and I remembered that there was another similar thread that I had posted Boys ‘Round Here to not long ago. So I merged the two threads to have the conversation in one handy, tidy place. So when that song started playing on the radio this morning, it gave me the feeling again that The Beatles are watching me. All of those things had to fall neatly into place for me to have that Beatley moment. I love you Beatles, oh yes I do…

The line I’m talking about starts at :30 in this video, which is EXACTLY what started playing on the radio this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f…..F1zB1hMxhk

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2857
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690