Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
18 June 2015
1.23am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said
When you’re worth £800m, or whatever Paul is, maybe a £2m guitar is like what buying a bag of crisps is to us.

Yeah, but it’s not like he can go to the corner shop and get a new left-handed ’63 Hofner 500/1 bass which has been handled by and traveled the world with the Beatles, can he? 

Or, you know, what @Wigwam said. That was much more eloquent than what I just wrote.

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Beatlebug

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

23 June 2015
4.58am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

BBC

Its been reported by the folk behind the mammoth ‘BBC Archive‘ release that new unbootlegged outtakes from the 26th November 1964 session of ‘Top Gear’ have surfaced, these include a different ‘I Feel Fine ‘ outtake to the version on Apple’s ‘On Air Volume 2’ release and ‘She’s A Woman ‘ with a single-tracked vocal.

The complete 2 hour 5th anniversary ‘Saturday Club’ edition from October 1963 has also been found. 

The material should be circulating in a month or two.

Spain 1965

Also reported to be coming (source: wogblog), this time on the 2nd July, is the previously unbooted Beatles concert at the Plaza de toros Las Ventasin Madrid, Spain from 2 July 1965. 

It is presented in two editions, either a limited edition 220 gram vinyl LP (which also includes a CD, price: 24,55 €), or just the CD (Price: 12,27 €) on its own. A 30 pages book with 65 unedited photos of the Beatles in concert and in their hotel, by the photographer Francisco Barahona is included, at least with the vinyl edition – as far as we understand. The website says that this will be released 23 June, but may be in error as the release date was said to be the same as the fiftieth anniversary of the concert, July 2. By then, it will also be made available for listening online, free of charge.

From Joe’s article on the concert

The Beatles performed 12 songs in Madrid. It was the same set used throughout their 1965 European Tour: Twist And Shout , She’s A Woman , I’m A Loser , Can’t Buy Me Love , Baby’s In Black , I Wanna Be Your Man , A Hard Day’s Night , Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby , Rock And Roll Music , I Feel Fine , Ticket To Ride and Long Tall Sally .

Star Club – December 1962 

Wogblog also reports that already circulating is a new revised edition of ‘Za Laut! (from the makers of ‘BBC Archives), the most comprehensive, best-sound release of the December 1962 Star Club recordings. ‘Record Collector’ recently featured in-depth articles on the original tapes which had been severely edited over the years, piecing together the contents of the original tapes for the first time. The revised ‘Za Laut’ has been carefully re-stored to reflect this and is available in the original mono and simulated stereo.

ImageImage Enlarger

The new edition of ‘Record Collector’ is available in most newsagents and is available to order online.

From wogblog

As published in the July 2015 issue of Record Collector, here is now what they believe is the correct running order of the songs. Of course, this was a four track tape, where each track held one recording in mono, and you will just have to guess in which order these four tracks were recorded. Gottfridsson has divided the four tracks into sections, each section effectively a “recording session” where the tape has clearly been started and stopped.

Track 1 (96 minute running time)

SECTION A
1. Short intro
2. “Be-Bop-A-Lula” (Fred Fascher: vocals)
3. “I Saw Her Standing There ” (Version 1)
4. “Hallelujah I Love Her So” (Horst Fascher: vocals)
5. “My Girl Is Red Hot”
Abrupt tape ending

SECTION B
1. “Sheila”
2. “Kansas City /Hey Hey Hey Hey”
3. “Shimmy Like Kate”
4. “Reminiscing” (Version 1)
5. “Red Sails In The Sunset”
6. “Sweet Little Sixteen”
7. “Roll Over Beethoven
8. “A Taste Of Honey ” (Version 1)
Abrupt stop.

SECTION C
Abrupt start
1. “Nothin’ Shakin’ (But The Leaves On The Trees)”
2. “I Saw Her Standing There ” (Version 2)
3. “To Know Her Is To Love Her” (Version 1)
4. “Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
5. “Till There Was You
6. “Where Have You Been All My Life”
7. “Lend Me Your Comb”
8. “Your Feet’s Too Big”
9. “I’m Talking About You” (Version 1)
10. “A Taste Of Honey ” (Version 2)
Abrupt stop.

SECTION D
1. Beatles chatter
2. “A Taste Of Honey ” (Version 3) Has not been released, even on bootlegs!
3. Announcement (Es ist genau…)
Four songs by Kingsize Taylor & The Dominoes follow, ending in yet another abrupt stop.

Track 2 (running time ca 65 minutes, due to it starting half way into the tape)

SECTION E
Abrupt start
Five songs by Carol Elvin & The Star Combo

1. Announcement (Die Beadles aus Liverpool)
2. False start – “Road Runner” (soundcheck/warm up)
3. Announcement (Und weiter gehts..)
4. “Hippy Hippy Shake” (Version 1)
5. “I’m Talking About You” (Version 2)
Abrupt loss of sound
6. “Reminiscing” (Version 2) just the final 40 seconds and never released, even on bootlegs.
7. “A Taste Of Honey ” (Version 4)

SECTION F
1. “A Taste Of Honey ” (Version 5) – snippet only
2. “Matchbox
3. “Little Queenie”
4. “Roll Over Beethoven ” (Version 2) false start
5. Announcement (Das waren Die Beadles aus…)
Abrupt cut off.

Track 3 – ca 90 minutes running time

SECTION G
16 songs by Kingsize Taylor & The Dominoes
Abrupt stop.

SECTION H
1. “I Remember You”
2. “Ask Me Why
3. “Besame Mucho
4. “Mr Moonlight
5. “Falling In Love Again (Can’t Help It)”
6. “I’m Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)”
Abrupt cut off

7. “To Know Her Is To Love Her” (Version 2) Incomplete and not released on bootlegs.
8. Beatles chatter…END

SECTION I
5 songs by Carol Elvin & The Star Combo

1. “Shazam” (warm up/soundcheck)
2. Announcement (weiter mit die spitzen band)
3. “Hippy Hippy Shake” (Version 2) Unreleased, even on bootlegs
4. “I’m Talking About You” (Version 3) Unreleased, even on bootlegs
5. “Glad All Over ” Unreleased, even on bootlegs
Abrupt end.

Track 4 starts in the middle of the tape and ends before the tape is over, ca 45 minutes running time.

SECTION J
Abrupt start
8 songs by Tony Sheridan & The Star Combo/Carol Elvin
Abrupt end.

SECTION K
1. Beatles chatter and riffs
2. “Long Tall Sally
Cut off
10 songs by Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers
Abrupt cut off

And that’s that. Curiously, the track “Twist And Shout “, as found on the original releases, is not accounted for.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 June 2015
3.07pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
25 June 2015
3.15pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2384sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do we really need a World Beatles Day? What a load of twaddle.

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 June 2015
4.26pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2385sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

June 25th is Global Beatles Day.

What a coincidence! So is January 1…and January 2…and January 3…sensing a pattern yet?

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 June 2015
4.38pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2386sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there a day that isn’t Global Beatles day? Is there a day that goes by on this planet where not one single Beatles song is played?

25 June 2015
4.47pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
2387sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is the noble mission of all BBer’s to make sure such a day never comes to pass. 

In other words… 

NO. 

Imagine if you could hear all the Beatles’ music being played all over the world at the same time. What a cacophony that would be! a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

25 June 2015
4.48pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2388sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ THat would be awful. Everyone would all hear a garbled mess.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

25 June 2015
4.49pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

It would, and that’s just Beatles music. Not counting all the other google-zillions of other types of music. If you could hear it all, you’d probably go deaf. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

25 June 2015
5.59pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

25 Beatles quotes for World Beatles Day. Lets hope this never catches on.

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

26 June 2015
4.39pm
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435
2391sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup, every day is Beatles day a-hard-days-night-john-1a-hard-days-night-paul-5a-hard-days-night-george-10a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Beatlebug

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

28 June 2015
10.06am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Records raise John Lennon’s family ghosts

If Beatles founder John Lennon stole the hearts of millions with his songs, he wasn’t the only robber in the family.

Historic records released yesterday reveal that his great uncle William Lennon made a career out of shoplifting, burglary, and theft. It’s unclear whether John and his family were aware of the chequered life of William Lennon, also from Liverpool with Irish grandparents, but he was convicted more than eight times, for stealing chairs, money, and wincey (a mixture of cotton and wool used in the manufacture of clothing).

There’s a lot more interesting material in the article, not just about this Lennon story.

EDIT: It is few hours later now, and the story seems to be gone from the website.

29 June 2015
8.28pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2393sp_Permalink sp_Print

Further to the post in the spoiler (originally posted here) the BBC have upped a video of their reporter Yogita Limaye visiting the Ashram (now dilapidated) where the Beatles stayed in 1968 to learn Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

meanmistermustard said
BBC article on the ruins of the spiritual retreat in Rishikesh, India where the Beatles spent between 10 days and 6 weeks learning about Transcendental Meditation with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and how Beatles fans have turned the site into a pilgrimage destination.  

“Then it was grass and gardens. There were monkeys and emerald green parakeets in the trees.”

Today the ashram is a ghostly relic of those days.

Mildewed and grotty stone and concrete buildings peep out of overgrown bushes and thick forests in a national park where some 1,700 elephants live, alongside tigers and leopards.

But the place remains a big draw with Beatles fans. A dilapidated meditation hall christened The Beatles Cathedral Gallery, by fans has become the beating heart of the ruins. Its walls are ablaze with colourful graffiti, many of them riffing on Beatles songs, “And life flows on with you and without you,” says one.

One section of the article writes about legends that have come from the Beatles stay there and i love the line about John staying in an “orb-shaped stone-floored hut”.

One has it that Lennon used to live in an orb-shaped stone-floored hut. In reality, the ashram was pretty comfortable, with “ultramodern apartments tastefully furnished with hot and cold water” according to one account – and the Maharishi’s residence was rumoured to have cost £35,000 ($55,000 at today’s exchange rate).

29 June 2015
8.33pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ahhh Girl said
Records raise John Lennon’s family ghosts

If Beatles founder John Lennon stole the hearts of millions with his songs, he wasn’t the only robber in the family.

Historic records released yesterday reveal that his great uncle William Lennon made a career out of shoplifting, burglary, and theft. It’s unclear whether John and his family were aware of the chequered life of William Lennon, also from Liverpool with Irish grandparents, but he was convicted more than eight times, for stealing chairs, money, and wincey (a mixture of cotton and wool used in the manufacture of clothing).

There’s a lot more interesting material in the article, not just about this Lennon story.

EDIT: It is few hours later now, and the story seems to be gone from the website.

@Ahhh Girl, it’s gone because it was found that that William Lennon wasnt related to John. 

The NME report that the following statement has been made by Find My Past (the site behind the story)

“We mistakenly said that we had found John Lennon ‘s great uncle in historic crime records. We have discovered that the William Lennon in our records, who was also born in Liverpool in the same year, was not related to John Lennon . While our fact checking process is rigorous, on this occasion we made an error.”

Beatlebug

30 June 2015
9.55am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2395sp_Permalink sp_Print

I see. Thanks for the update, mmm.

1 July 2015
1.34pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2396sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Spain 1965

Also reported to be coming (source: wogblog), this time on the 2nd July, is the previously unbooted Beatles concert at the Plaza de toros Las Ventasin Madrid, Spain from 2 July 1965. 

It is presented in two editions, either a limited edition 220 gram vinyl LP (which also includes a CD, price: 24,55 €), or just the CD (Price: 12,27 €) on its own. A 30 pages book with 65 unedited photos of the Beatles in concert and in their hotel, by the photographer Francisco Barahona is included, at least with the vinyl edition – as far as we understand. The website says that this will be released 23 June, but may be in error as the release date was said to be the same as the fiftieth anniversary of the concert, July 2. By then, it will also be made available for listening online, free of charge.

Wogblog reports the the concert has proven to be a fake upon first hearing of the LP, the audio coming from Paris ’65 (there is also Paul chat from a concert he gave in Spain in 1989). Hope remains that tomorrows release will still prove to be the genuine Rome concert.

From wogblog’s update on the release

An LP purchased by one of our readers in Barcelona earlier today proved to be an “outfake” – it was in effect a dressed up Paris concert from the same tour. But Paris has been bootlegged ages ago, whereas Madrid has yet to be heard. Perhaps Emi Efe is offering the real deal, or perhaps it’s all a hoax?

1 July 2015
3.06pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2397sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Further to the post in the spoiler (originally posted here) the BBC have upped a video of their reporter Yogita Limaye visiting the Ashram (now dilapidated) where the Beatles stayed in 1968 to learn Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

meanmistermustard said
BBC article on the ruins of the spiritual retreat in Rishikesh, India where the Beatles spent between 10 days and 6 weeks learning about Transcendental Meditation with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and how Beatles fans have turned the site into a pilgrimage destination.  

“Then it was grass and gardens. There were monkeys and emerald green parakeets in the trees.”
Today the ashram is a ghostly relic of those days.
Mildewed and grotty stone and concrete buildings peep out of overgrown bushes and thick forests in a national park where some 1,700 elephants live, alongside tigers and leopards.
But the place remains a big draw with Beatles fans. A dilapidated meditation hall christened The Beatles Cathedral Gallery, by fans has become the beating heart of the ruins. Its walls are ablaze with colourful graffiti, many of them riffing on Beatles songs, “And life flows on with you and without you,” says one.

One section of the article writes about legends that have come from the Beatles stay there and i love the line about John staying in an “orb-shaped stone-floored hut”.

One has it that Lennon used to live in an orb-shaped stone-floored hut. In reality, the ashram was pretty comfortable, with “ultramodern apartments tastefully furnished with hot and cold water” according to one account – and the Maharishi’s residence was rumoured to have cost £35,000 ($55,000 at today’s exchange rate).

Those pictures showing the dilapidated buildings are a bit saddening to look at. Thanks just the same for posting the article. it was interesting.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

3 July 2015
5.02pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wogblog report on how the Beatles Spain concert from July 1965 (see post above) reported to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of the show has proven to be all a scam. Highly disappointing.

Ultimate Classic Rock on Sony’s victory in getting ‘The Beatles: The Lost Concert , which features 8 tracks from the Beatles February 1964 Washington Coliseum, blocked from being screened.

5 July 2015
1.22pm
O Boogie
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1352
2399sp_Permalink sp_Print

For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the Sun

6 July 2015
4.54am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wogblog article follow-up on John’s 1962 “Jumbo” J160E Gibson guitar reportedly stolen in 1963 (see here for details) which is going up for auction in November.

The theory put forward by Harry Hodgson (tho read the article for all the information) is that John and George both had Gibson guitars and George is on camera watching an old clip of ‘This Boy‘ in 1974 saying he gave his away. Dhani however has one in his collection so George gave his away and kept John’s meaning that John’s wasnt stolen as originally thought. 

Taking that all in then doesnt it mean that George’s is up for auction not John’s?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690