Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1967 tour and beyond...
3 February 2014
5.32am
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 153
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Suppose that after the Atlanta show in 1965, they’d worked out a deal to get better sound equipment for future gigs. Then, the following year things are a bit less stressful – perhaps the Philippines incident is somehow avoided and nobody throws the firecracker at Memphis. When the tour is up, they express their desire to Brian to quit touring, but after much debating, they agree to continue, in exchange for dropping some of the “cutesy” act that they felt was strangling them, and the assurance of better sound at the shows (A stretch, but perhaps they even announce their intentions to quit if the girls don’t learn to zip it)

What direction do you think the group would’ve taken had this been the case? By 1966 (and even a bit in 1965) their live sound (when it was audible) was starting to get a bit heavier (It’s always amusing to hear “Yesterday ” with the guitar feeding back). “Sgt. Pepper ” probably won’t happen the same way, but I find it hard to believe that none of that would work its way to the surface.

Thoughts?

3 February 2014
6.36am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

RunForYourLife said
It’s always amusing to hear “Yesterday ” with the guitar feeding back

Supposedly ‘Yesterday ‘ was played solo by Paul with a keyboard during their brief Fall 1965 British Tour, I’m still waiting for someone to produce a recording from that tour which also features the only live performances of ‘We Can Work It Out ‘ by The Beatles in concert.

It’s hard to imagine them not taking an extended break from touring even if the later tours were “a bit less stressful”, they’d been performing live very regularly since long before they became world famous and they were simply burning themselves out from the monotony of playing live and travelling for years.  They were a bit itching to get back to performing live though, but just not under those circumstances (being the “eye of the hurricane”) and Paul began to get the wheels turning almost immediately after the ‘David Frost Show’ performance of ‘Hey Jude ‘ where all four of them were clearly buzzing during the taping, even George is smiling against his will in that video.  People often go on about how ‘Let It Be ‘ was supposed to be a “no overdubs” recording and all, but it’s primary focus at the start was to rehearse for the first Beatles’ concert in years, which of course never really materialized other than the brief Rooftop show.

John was just as eager to “get back to where they once belonged” as Paul was, and actually beat Paul to the punch with his Toronto Rock ‘N’ Roll Revival appearance later that year.  I believe that George toured with Delaney, Bonnie & Friends soon afterwards as well, although I think that he used a pseudonym at the time.  Still, live performances were the last thing on the agenda during 1967, and probably just as well for John was in no condition to tour regularly while traversing “Across The Universe ” with his LSD tablets, they were done by then but were only missing the thrill of performing live by the White Album , this doesn’t necessarily mean that they would’ve ever toured again though, just a performance on occasion for old times sake ala ‘Get Back ‘, but once they began the rigorous work of rehearsing to pull it off by own their high standards, well it’s pretty evident by watching the ‘Let It Be ‘ film that their hearts simply weren’t into it…:-)

3 February 2014
6.14pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097

RunForYourLife said
Suppose that after the Atlanta show in 1965, they’d worked out a deal to get better sound equipment for future gigs. Then, the following year things are a bit less stressful – perhaps the Philippines incident is somehow avoided and nobody throws the firecracker at Memphis. When the tour is up, they express their desire to Brian to quit touring, but after much debating, they agree to continue, in exchange for dropping some of the “cutesy” act that they felt was strangling them, and the assurance of better sound at the shows (A stretch, but perhaps they even announce their intentions to quit if the girls don’t learn to zip it)

What direction do you think the group would’ve taken had this been the case? By 1966 (and even a bit in 1965) their live sound (when it was audible) was starting to get a bit heavier (It’s always amusing to hear “Yesterday ” with the guitar feeding back). “Sgt. Pepper ” probably won’t happen the same way, but I find it hard to believe that none of that would work its way to the surface.

Thoughts?

Well, some songs from Sgt. Pepper could work live: “Getting Better ,” “With a Little Help …,” “Lovely Rita .” Come to think of it, here’s a fun guess (and it’s just a guess) as to what a 12-song ’67 set list would look like, in no specific order:

Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends (granted, you lose all the bells and whistles “Sgt. Pepper ” had on the album, but with basic instruments it can be done live, and Ringo’d have his specific “Ringo” moment)
Yesterday (presumably played the same way as in ’66… they’d have to play a few older ones to satiate the crowd)
Taxman (so George can get a lead vocal)
Day Tripper (another holdover from the ’66 tour)
Getting Better
Drive My Car
(because it’s Drive My Car , damn it. It NEEDED to be done live, and it’s a shame they never did)
Here There And Everywhere
Lovely Rita
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
(again, without the bells and whistles, but assuming they had the proper equipment that you mentioned, how awesome would that be live?)
Nowhere Man (another ’66 holdover)
Long Tall Sally (or “I’m Down ” would work, as those were the two show closers they always used)

So… whaddya think?

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

3 February 2014
11.04pm
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members

Billy Rhythm said
Supposedly ‘Yesterday ‘ was played solo by Paul with a keyboard during their brief Fall 1965 British Tour, I’m still waiting for someone to produce a recording from that tour which also features the only live performances of ‘We Can Work It Out ‘ by The Beatles in concert.

The recording is a fake, but it’s got pictures of Paul playing live on on the Vox organ, seeming to confirm it happened.

If they did in fact, play “We Can Work It Out “, it’s possible that John also played it during that song.

Hopefully some day we’ll find a recording.

3 February 2014
11.30pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

It definitely happened as there is a picture in the January 1966 Beatles Monthly magazine (page 12) that has two pictures, one of John playing the organ, the other Paul. Going by the set list and what has been documented John played it on We Can Work It Out whilst Paul played the organ on Yesterday .

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 February 2014
11.47pm
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members

Well there you have it. That would’ve been neat to hear.

3 February 2014
11.55pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

Found those two pictures here

We+Can+Work+It+Out1.jpg

The blog also has another picture of John on the organ.

2Q==Image Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 February 2014
3.57am
RunForYourLife
London Palladium
Members

Were their British concerts any better than the American ones, or was Japan the only place where the audience really listened?

4 February 2014
3.00pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

RunForYourLife said
Were their British concerts any better than the American ones, or was Japan the only place where the audience really listened?

As far as the level of Mania affecting the audiences, I don’t think that the British audiences were much different from their American counterparts.  In general, the American venues were larger than the rest which intensified the atmosphere considerably.  Japan was definitely unique in its manner, it was one of the reasons that it was chosen for George’s 1991 Tour with Eric Clapton.  George hadn’t toured for a long time and was looking for the right situation to ease back into it, Eric had suggested Japan for the audiences even then were still known to be more polite than most other factions.

Here’s a clip from a London show approximately six months before the above mentioned tour of Britain in 1965:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..c8wtwASPhY

While it’s not quite the spectacle of Mania evidenced at Shea Stadium that summer, it’s certainly more lively than the sombre, by comparison, Budokan audiences…:-)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690