The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time. | The songs | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time.
25 August 2010
7.38pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

Just got this … it seems there will be a special issue with the top 100 Beatles songs…

 

http://www.rollingstone.com/mu…..386/194557

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
25 August 2010
8.31pm
c64wood
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 227
Member Since:
4 September 2009
Offline

Sweet!  Thanks Mith!  Love your new George avatar BTW. a-hard-days-night-george-6

 

I did notice photo of Paul for #8.  Amazing that even though he was left handed, he was playing the drums right handed.

 

Top ten was pretty darned good.

I know you know what you know, but you should know by now that you're not me ~ Ron Nasty
25 August 2010
8.41pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

thanks!!  I also noticed that in the pic.. maybe it's flipped

 

And about my avatar.. that's the IMHO the best entrance in the whole movie history.  Better than Bogart in Casablanca .. LOL!!!  a-hard-days-night-george-7

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
25 August 2010
9.32pm
kingjjj8
Strawberry Fields
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 339
Member Since:
17 June 2010
Offline

When does it hit the stands? a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Rap music is just computerized crap. - George Harrison
25 August 2010
11.13pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

Ummm does anyone agree with number two?

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
26 August 2010
1.28am
Celebrated_Mr_K
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 155
Member Since:
18 March 2010
Offline

GniknuS said:

Ummm does anyone agree with number two?


Rolling Stone places heavy emphasis on "greatness" as a measure of influence.  By that reasoning, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is undeniably one of the greatest songs ever, even though it may not be any where close to the Beatles best.  That one song stormed America and set off global Beatlemania, thereby paving the way for the British Invasion and far greater Beatles songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Personally, I would kick "Come Together" and "Yesterday" off this top ten list.  They're both good songs, but wouldn't make my top 100 Beatles list.  I can't find fault with the other choices, and I absolutely agree with "A Day In The Life" at the top.

26 August 2010
3.29am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

kingjjj8 said:

When does it hit the stands? a-hard-days-night-ringo-7


August 27th
 

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

GniknuS said:

Ummm does anyone agree with number two?


Rolling Stone places heavy emphasis on "greatness" as a measure of influence.  By that reasoning, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is undeniably one of the greatest songs ever, even though it may not be any where close to the Beatles best.  That one song stormed America and set off global Beatlemania, thereby paving the way for the British Invasion and far greater Beatles songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever."
 

I agree with you GniknuS… but if you read in the RS site, it quotes Martin "the apex of Phase One of the Beatles' development." so they also think it's a great artistic achievement.

 

The question is, do we agree with Martin?? george-martin

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
26 August 2010
6.04am
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

mithveaen said:


August 27th

 

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

GniknuS said:

Ummm does anyone agree with number two?


Rolling Stone places heavy emphasis on "greatness" as a measure of influence.  By that reasoning, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is undeniably one of the greatest songs ever, even though it may not be any where close to the Beatles best.  That one song stormed America and set off global Beatlemania, thereby paving the way for the British Invasion and far greater Beatles songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever."

 


I agree with you GniknuS… but if you read in the RS site, it quotes Martin "the apex of Phase One of the Beatles' development." so they also think it's a great artistic achievement.
 

The question is, do we agree with Martin?? george-martin


But you could make nearly the same argument for She Loves You, and the list is the top ten songs of all time, not top ten most important songs. How Eleanor Rigby didn't make the list is absolutely beyond me. Obviously every Beatles fan has a different opinion, and I don't have a problem with one of I Want To Hold Your Hand or She Loves You making the list, but to put it at number 2? In front of Strawberry Fields?
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
26 August 2010
6.27am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

GniknuS said:


But you could make nearly the same argument for She Loves You, and the list is the top ten songs of all time, not top ten most important songs. How Eleanor Rigby didn't make the list is absolutely beyond me. Obviously every Beatles fan has a different opinion, and I don't have a problem with one of I Want To Hold Your Hand or She Loves You making the list, but to put it at number 2? In front of Strawberry Fields?
 

You've got a point there definetly. So yes, I guess early Beatle songs are in disadvantage with the older ones. So maybe they were trying to be fair with all Beatles eras.

 

To be honest, I wanna hold your hand is not one of my favorites. If I were to choose, I'd pick A Hard Day's Night.

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
26 August 2010
6.32am
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
10

mithveaen said:


You've got a point there definetly. So yes, I guess early Beatle songs are in disadvantage with the older ones. So maybe they were trying to be fair with all Beatles eras.
 

To be honest, I wanna hold your hand is not one of my favorites. If I were to choose, I'd pick A Hard Day's Night.


Definitely. I think I'd put Help on there too, they both are just so good!
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
26 August 2010
6.33pm
kingjjj8
Strawberry Fields
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 339
Member Since:
17 June 2010
Offline
11

There are plenty beatles songs from Please Please Me and With The Beatles that could replace I wanna Hold your hand!a-hard-days-night-paul-1

Rap music is just computerized crap. - George Harrison
26 August 2010
6.52pm
ringoforpresident
A Beginning
Forum Posts: 3
Member Since:
29 December 2009
Offline
12

I'm curious to see if Hey Bulldog even makes the list. In my opinion, Hey Bulldog is The Beatles' greatest song.

http://walrussongs.blogspot.com/   Yellow Matter Custard.
26 August 2010
10.18pm
kingjjj8
Strawberry Fields
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 339
Member Since:
17 June 2010
Offline
13

ringoforpresident said:

I'm curious to see if Hey Bulldog even makes the list. In my opinion, Hey Bulldog is The Beatles' greatest song.


Yeah hey bulldogs gott be at least 20 or under.a-hard-days-night-george-2
Rap music is just computerized crap. - George Harrison
26 August 2010
10.36pm
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1108
Member Since:
4 April 2010
Offline
14

mithveaen said:

thanks!!  I also noticed that in the pic.. maybe it's flipped

 

And about my avatar.. that's the IMHO the best entrance in the whole movie history.  Better than Bogart in Casablanca .. LOL!!!  a-hard-days-night-george-7


He plays drums Right-handed. watch the "Spies Like Us" music video.
"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."
27 August 2010
1.27am
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
15

ringoforpresident said:

I'm curious to see if Hey Bulldog even makes the list. In my opinion, Hey Bulldog is The Beatles' greatest song.


I think it might be more interesting to see what doesn't make the list. If Rain doesn't make the list I will never pick up a Rolling Stone magazine for the rest of my life.
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
27 August 2010
4.04am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

Amen, GniknuS.

 

BTW In a Mexican newspaper online an article about this list was published and everybody agrees that I wanna hold your hand doesn't deserve that place…

 

Edit : I wonder … now that they chose A Day in Life as number 1… will they finally say who make those ahh-ahhs in the chorus?? Paul or John??

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
27 August 2010
12.18pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 3641
Member Since:
14 April 2010
Offline
17

Thanks for bringing that article to our attention, mithveaen! It is certainly opening up a debate over which songs should be in the top 10 so far.

I was happy to see that 2 from George were on the list.a-hard-days-night-george-8

GniknuS brought up a great point in regard whether the list is supposed to best Beatles songs of all time or the most important. Trying to pick the best is very subjective and many will disagree with any of the songs' placement on the list – it even happens in this forum on a daily basis.

A much more intersting discussion, IMO would be the most important. Even though it is not a song written by the Beatles, one could make an argument for Be-Bop-a-Lula being the most important. That's what drew McCartney to finding out more about Lennon at the fete.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

27 August 2010
5.27pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3404
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline
18

Spooky. I was writing about that earlier this week: http://www.beatlesbible.com/pe…..op-a-lula/

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

27 August 2010
6.49pm
robert
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 352
Member Since:
19 April 2010
Offline
19

The point about Be-Bop-a-Lula is an interesting one – at the same time I wonder if it was the specific song that intrigued Paul. Meaning if John had been playing Heartbreak Hotel or Shake Rattle and Roll, wouldn't Paul still have been attracted – most likely yes. So probably it wasn't the specific song but the sound that John was making.

Speculation all around of course.

Most important song in my humble opinion – I Want To Hold Your Hand this song opened the floodgates of Beatlemania – perhaps more than other of their songs it sounded so completely unlike anything that anyone was doing. Plus in that simple little song you can find all the complexities of Beatle musicology (instruments and vocals) as well as the uniqueness of that exquisite songiwritting team: Lennon/McCartney.

Now I'm not saying best song, favorite song or anything else like that. But to me that song set the fire that still has not gone out.

"She looks more like him than I do."
27 August 2010
7.33pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
20

You're welcome …. though I'm sure Joe would have posted the link a-hard-days-night-george-8

 

So the headline of that magazine is totally misleading. It's going to be an interesting reading.. I hope not disappointing.

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Annadog40, Mr. Kite, MrMoonlight, Bulldog
84 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9238

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 4908

mithveaen: 4651

Ahhh Girl: 4483

Zig: 3641

Annadog40: 3553

Mr. Kite: 3188

Ron Nasty: 2949

fabfouremily: 2927

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2503

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3187

Posts: 128945

Newest Members: 165721, Bibiana, Bibiana0709, Rendersen25, emshicks321

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4483), meanmistermustard (9238), Zig (3641), Joe (3404)

Administrators: Joe (3404), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None