Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll
4 July 2015
1.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
193sp_Permalink sp_Print

We will certainly consider the points raised, @meanmistermustard. There may be a compromise we can find. We will not be shortening the reveal time massively though, should we decide to do so. It certainly will not be revealed in blocks of 50 over a month. That I just think is too hurried.

I understand your comment about polls in print, yes, they were usually published in one issue – however, as an avid buyer of the music press in the ’80s and ’90s (I bought everything!), I can think of many examples where poll results were spread over more than one issue, and some of those publications were monthly. I remember a poll similar to this one, but only looking for the Top 100, that was published in blocks of 25 over four monthly issues. So, our proposal as it stands, is not that unusual.

As to when the non-canon poll will happen, I have already said that it will be toward the beginning of next year, and revealed it will be called “The Beatles Bible 2016 non-Canon Poll”. That is stated in the first post in this thread.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 July 2015
3.35pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
194sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re right. Apologies for not having gone back to read ever post in the thread again before asking a question. Will know better next time.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 July 2015
4.12pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
195sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m with everybody else for the reveal time to be shortened. Having it over 3 months (I think) will just wipe out the interest of everybody as we just won’t care anymore. 

Maybe if you did 50 every 3 days or so, it’ll be got out of the way quicker but I don’t know- we’ll put it to a poll

[sp_show_poll id=”72″]

If you answered “too long” to the poll above ^

[sp_show_poll id=”73″]

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

4 July 2015
4.55pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
196sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am getting fed up with this. @Starr Shine? and I set out very clearly the plan in the first post. Having listened, we are in discussion about shortening the reveal period that was stated in the first post. I sent AD40 earlier with a proposal that will substantially shorten the period. We CANNOT please everyone. Some people prefer a longer period, others a shorter, some even want it all at once.

Whatever the results of ASJ’s poll, AD40 and I will decide how quickly the results, based on our initial promise to you – and AD40 had foresight of that first post before it was made. We are listening but – until we fail in meeting the conditions we set out in the first post – we will not have let down the Forum in any way. And we will meet the expectations we gave people in the first poll.

Given some people’s attitudes to Faceo’s poll results being taken out of his hands, and some of us arguing, especially myself, after a year had gone by, that the results be published, that some who argued against Faceo being rushed, are now arguing that AD40 and I be rushed.

We will meet the terms we set out, the terms everybody who has taken part has taken part on, and we are looking to address the concerns raised. The reveal time will almost certainly be shortened.

However, and I say this with regret, I am seriously considering whether I want anything to do with the non-Canon poll.

Right now I am very annoyed, and I do hope I haven’t been too out of order here. We set everything out in the first post though, nearly two months ago, and nobody complained about the offer we made then. Only now are there complaints, ten days before the poll closes.

I am now going to close my Beatles Bible tab for the first time since I joined. Otherwise I’m likely to say something I’ll regret.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 July 2015
5.10pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

The difference with Faceo’s poll is that his computer died so he couldnt post the results, later folk then began asking the posting of the results be taken out of his hands and posted not by him. At the beginning, before the issues began, he was posting results every day or two. I’m not asking for the results to be posted by someone else.

Additionally whats only now happening is that folk are cottoning on to how long its going to take to get the results.

Its nothing personal its just that 3 months is a long wait. apple01

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 July 2015
6.44pm
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134
198sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you should do something similar to I did on my list, do 20 songs per day until you get to the top 100 then do 10 per day, do 5 per day inside the top 20 and then one song per day for the top 5! a-hard-days-night-george-10

4 July 2015
8.20pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

That poll and particularly your critique that followed @nzbeatlefan were very interesting.

I’d see the method you chose then  as being just about right….(for me) but as Nasty says he can’t please everyone.

He and @Starr Shine? have put a lot of effort into this and I know we all appreciate it……….. I voted twice because I thought in some manner I’d cocked up my first attempt…..He went out of his way sending me both votes……giving me a range of options…….informing me which songs I had somehow omitted, (different ones in each list)………I have to say he could not have been more helpful.

I recall thinking at the time how lucky we are to have so many great mods and senior members who keep this site tidy, the loose ‘canons’ on it respectful and give their time to projects like this.

I can see how ‘Ron’ and ‘anna’ are feeling having to more-or-less beg members to participate only to be criticised late in the day for something agreed on at the very start.

Despite the pleasing to the ear….’Of the people…….for the people and by the people’  …..it’s never actually existed anywhere at anytime in history, because it wouldn’t work. 

Given that we all have different views…….perhaps Ron and anna will try to find common ground…perhaps not I’ll happily leave it with them.

I want to close by saying that what I’m sure comes over as ‘griping’ or being churlish to Ron and anna is only a natural result of the interest that’s been so successfully engendered  by them…….

You two are appreciated and judged on the debate already begun…….. have our attention.

Cheers to all….Peas and luv.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Ron Nasty, Zig, georgiewood, Beatlebug, Matt Busby, Merch
4 July 2015
9.02pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
200sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you, @Wigwam. Very well stated.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Zig
5 July 2015
1.00am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Okay, Nasty has taken a few hours to cool down and not feel so nasty. I apologise for the sloppiness of my last post, but not its sentiment.

As I’ve said twice previously, AD40 and myself are listening. We are discussing shorter timescales. However, AD40 was caught up in 4th of July celebrations (and burning her hat), which offered her little time to yay or nay to my suggestions. We are equals in this process, and in completely different timezones. No more than she could declare a major change without having heard my opinion, nor can I. All I can say at this time, things are being discussed.

It will probably not please everyone entirely, but I hope it will show we have listened. The important thing is not to over-promise and let you down. That has been the intention all along. It’s that bit of, “Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans”.

Life got in the way of Faceo’s poll, and we set out in our first post something we knew we could achieve (unless something went badly wrong with both of us).

We have been responsive all along, and will continue to be. We ask that people trust us to do this. Neither of us is saying, “Ya-boo! Our way or no way!”

We will not satisfy everyone, but hopefully we can all meet somewhere in-between.

Please, trust us, and let these last few days of voting be about getting a few more people to vote, and not ugly disagreements that discourage people from joining in.

NINE DAYS TO VOTE, FOLKS. WE WANT YOUR VOTES!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Zig, Ahhh Girl

5 July 2015
8.15am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
202sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like we have 1 or 2 varying opinions. 

Thanks again to @Ron Nasty and @Starr Shine? for all of their hard work on this. I have to believe their original plan for releasing the results was designed without thoughts of “my way or the highway”. At the same time, this poll project belongs to all who voted or will vote because we have a vested interest. So, thanks again go out to our 2 pollsters for agreeing that some type of compromise is in order. 

I completely understand @meanmistermustard ‘s concern over how long the last poll reveal dragged out to the point of absurdity. That could not be helped, to some degree, due to technological problems our friend Faceo was experiencing. That is why RN and Ad40 thought of a backup plan should either or both be stricken down by a group of wild boars (2 different groups on 2 different continents, mind you).

Thanks to everyone who expressed their thoughts/concerns on how the results should be revealed. This shows you care about the current project, the overall feel of our awesome Forum and mostly, how the songs from our favorite band are viewed by all of us.  I have my own ideas on how I’d like to see it play out, but I don’t think we need another round of discussions or polls to see if another poll is necessary to discus a poll on how long it will take for the poll results to be released. Yikes. 

Thanks go out to @Wigwam for being a voice of reason in post # 167. I truly enjoy your contributions, sir.

Lastly, if you have not voted yet, please do so. The more voters we get, the more accurate (for lack of a better word) the results will be. If you have not voted yet because you don’t want to, that’s cool as well. Do not let me or anyone else pressure you to do something you don’t want to do. If you do feel pressured, please send a PM to me or one of the other Mods and we will address it behind the scenes rather than in the open Forum. This poll is supposed to be fun. Let’s all do our parts to keep it that way.

apple01heart 

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby, Ron Nasty

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

5 July 2015
8.25am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435
203sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please accept my apologies, @Starr Shine? and @Ron Nasty, for adding to yesterday’s upset. It was not my intention to sound harsh or criticising, but I realise I probably did come across as such. All I can say in my defence is that I’m extremely excited about the outcome of the poll, especially since it was the first time I got to participate in this project. I can’t wait to find out how my favourite Beatles tunes are ranked. 

I thank you for all the work you put into this, and I’ll try my best to be as patient as I need to be. heartapple01

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Zig, Ahhh Girl, Ron Nasty

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

5 July 2015
3.33pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
204sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, folks, this is the outcome of discussions between @Starr Shine? and myself. It does not go as far as some would like, but I hope it shows we have listened to the thoughts expressed, and have responded by reducing the reveal period substantially. I do not know how it works out timewise now, I have not done the maths, but it is a much shorter period.

Results will be posted every 3 days, our first response to shortening the time.

The results for 220 through to 101 will be posted in groups of twenty. This is the biggest and most important change, reducing what would have been 12 posts to 6.

The results for 100 through to 11 will be posted in groups of ten.

The Top 10 will be posted in three groups, and will be as I previously suggested, 10-7, 6-4, and 3-1.

As I have said, this reduces the timetable substantially, and while I realise some may wish we had gone further, I do hope we have found a good middle ground.

I do apologise for my annoyance yesterday. It just felt as if we were being pressured to come up with an instant response, and we needed time. The poll on the poll felt like a massive insult to the work AD40 and myself have done.

I said some things yesterday, both here and in emails, that I shouldn’t have. I apologise for that.

I do hope we have found a compromise that people are reasonably happy with. As I have said previously, we cannot please everyone.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Necko, Wigwam, Matt Busby, long long long, Joe, Zig, Merch, sigh butterfly, Ahhh Girl, Beatleva, nzbeatlefan

7 July 2015
6.48pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
205sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just one week left to vote, folks. No late entries will be accepted. No unconfirmed votes will be accepted.

@mi1168 and, erm, @Joe, you are yet to confirm your votes. They WILL NOT be included in the poll results unless you do.

SEVEN DAYS LEFT TO JOIN IN. PLEASE VOTE.

7 July 2015
6.57pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
206sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Joe, please confirm your PM. We definitely want your votes to count!

Hummmmmm, I wonder how much we would have to bribe RN to get Joe’s scores?

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Oudis
7 July 2015
7.35pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Ahhh Girl said

So Ron is easier to bribe then I am? Hmmmmmmm ahdn_george_01

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

7 July 2015
8.08pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
208sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

Ahhh Girl said

Ooooo, that’s right. You have the scores too. Hummmmmm, what would AD40 want?

7 July 2015
8.25pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
209sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

Ahhh Girl said

Am not! I have already laid out my terms privately, as she well knows, and I very much doubt we are going to see her perform 220 unclothed sponsored marathons in no more 220 days for a charity of Joe’s naming, especially with her kinky back!!!!

Seriously though, folks, the voting booth is private. You can say how you’ve voted if you want, we cannot. The only person we will share votes with is the person who made them.

SEVEN DAYS TO VOTE! PLEASE VOTE!

8 July 2015
7.34am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
210sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I am ready to hear what AD40 wants.

8 July 2015
7.57am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
211sp_Permalink sp_Print

My son was giving me a bit of verbal today so i used bribery to deal with the situation………gave him a back-hander!!

Joking!!

8 July 2015
8.03am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
212sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Yeah, I am ready to hear what AD40 wants.

All you have to do is,

1. Finish the game

2. Create 12 Beatles Bible stories

3. Create three paintings of all four Beatles and AppleScruffJunior

4. Write 9 multi chapter Beatles Fanfictions

5. Do a music cover of no less then 5 Beatles songs.

All of this must be done no later then six days after this post

or you could just ask Joe if he wants to share

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2857
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690