Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll
1 July 2015
10.00am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
173sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

I rated one track a 1 (no surprise which one), two tracks 3, a handful 4 and then the rest 5 or above. Few were 10’s.

I think I know which song you Hold in such small regard. You are right, it does not surprise Me that you put such a Tight leash on your vote for it.

Your friend,
Mr. Subliminal

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug, Shamrock Womlbs, Ahhh Girl, Bongo, meanmistermustard, Merch, Ron Nasty, Necko, Mr. Kite

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

3 July 2015
5.07pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
174sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just over ten days to go, folks, and WE WANT YOUR VOTES! (Unless you have already voted, of course!)

Voting closes at midnight on 14 July. Your midnight may not be my midnight, and so the final count will not be done until my noon on 15 July (I’m BST [British Summer Time]). Nothing, not a thing, not even a confirmation of having voted, will be accepted after that. There will be no, “Oh, I didn’t realise!” I’m not going to redo these results for latecomers. Noon (12 BST) on the 15 July is the hard deadline. There will be no exceptions. A mod (or more than one mod) will receive a folder via email containing a document that has the results by 6pm BST. We would request that none access the folder unless AD40 or I fall down on posting results.

The first 10 results (220-211) will be posted by the 22 July at the latest. Results will then posted, alternately by myself and AD40 every four days. We’ve reached no decision yet on how the Top 10 will be revealed, but they will take no more than 10 days.

WE WANT YOUR FECKING VOTES!

Thanks everyone for your participation in this poll. We hope we didn’t make the process too hard (thanks again to AD40 for her huge contribution to the technical running of this poll).

Just over ten days to go, folks, and WE WANT YOUR VOTES!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

3 July 2015
5.12pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Ron Nasty said

….We’ve reached no decision yet on how the Top 10 will be revealed, but they will take no more than 10 days….

Does that mean the top ten might be drip-fed one by one over ten days? Cant we do without this talent show result long pause and just get the results, its fine if broken down into blocks of ten but when it gets to one or day every day or so it just becomes irritating. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 July 2015
5.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
176sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is a possibility. No decisions have been made. Much will depend on discussion of the results. My thought at the moment, without any discussion with AD40 yet, and so I don’t know her thoughts, is to do the Top 10 in three posts – 10-7, 6-4, 3-1. We will not decide until nearer the time though.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

3 July 2015
5.52pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
177sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why cant we just get the top ten in one go, two at the most? Why does it need to be in such a broken dragged out manner? The top 5 of the weekly charts aren’t given over 5 days with the other 35 of the top 40 spread over the other 2 to make up the week.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 July 2015
6.14pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
178sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Why cant we just get the top ten in one go, two at the most? Why does it need to be in such a broken dragged out manner? The top 5 of the weekly charts aren’t given over 5 days with the other 35 of the top 40 spread over the other 2 to make up the week.

But there would be no suspense that way! 

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

3 July 2015
6.38pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I’m OK with some titilating suspense…….

I’m very interested in seeing the results but it won’t in anyway affect my personal feelings about a single song……..We all know the winner and probably 6 or 7 out of the top ten…….But there are sure to be some surprises.

I’m going to check my score for ‘I Call Your Name ‘ I can’t stop singing it to myself………(Just now in the pool it made me lose count twice)…..I hope I gave it a decent rating. 

Good……..I did.

3 July 2015
6.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
180sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you look at how these polls are published in print, they go from 10 or 20 on a double page, down to half page reveals, down to the last ones getting a page to themself. My feeling is to do something similar. As AD40 says, the element of suspense. Otherwise we could just publish the whole thing in one go. It’s all about the build-up.

To my mind, as the results are posted, we will see how much discussion they are creating among Forumpudlians, and that will guide us as to how to reveal the Top Ten.

3 July 2015
6.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
181sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Wigwam said
We all know the winner…

Are you sure? As AD40 said a while back, there are surprises. Some may be in the middle or bottom of the poll, others may well be in the Top Ten, or even at the very top. I’m constantly surprised as I rejig the order as votes come in.

3 July 2015
7.07pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

If A Day In The Life doesn’t top the poll my gasted will be completely falabbered.

FYI.

‘Normal definition of ‘flabbergasted’…….ajective. The shock felt when you realise how much weight you have gained’ 

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Necko, Beatlebug, Oudis
4 July 2015
2.20am
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491
183sp_Permalink sp_Print

We can do without the suspense…

The following people thank Oudis for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, meanmistermustard, Beatlebug

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

4 July 2015
2.21am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

Ron Nasty said
…Long bit about revealing the scores

Just over ten days to go, folks, and WE WANT YOUR VOTES!

So, that basically means it’ll take at least 88 days, roughly 3 months, for the list to be fully revealed? I don’t know if I like that. It’ll make the whole reveal thing very tedious, at least for me.

I know I don’t have a say in it but if I did, I’d be all for revealing 50 at a time, possibly once a week, meaning it’ll take about 4 weeks and then the top-20 in the 5th week. That should be way more than enough suspense. If you’d publish the whole list in one go, that’d be even better. I’m with MMM on this one: please don’t do the ‘how-fecking-much-longer-can-they-stretch-this’ kind of thing….

a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

meanmistermustard

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

4 July 2015
2.33am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
185sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh the impetuosity of youth………some pleasures should be drawn out to gain the full exquisite experience.

Spookily JPM your, ‘Cha Cha Boom (Boom)’ signature ……. means just that in Thai!!!

‘Cha cha’ means slow…….and ‘Boom boom’ means…….er… ‘poinking’ 

So sit back and let it all unfold.

4 July 2015
2.41am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
186sp_Permalink sp_Print

Um… exactly how old do you think I am, @Wigwam? Because I wouldn’t consider myself a member of the ‘youth’ demographic.

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

4 July 2015
2.53am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The results will spark result regardless of how they are posted so to think otherwise is wrong and to milk the results over months is far too long. The lists you refer to are published on the same day, same as in magazines; you dont visit/purchase them over 37 weeks to find out what ended up in the top 10 and finally number one. Few would bother. Can you imagine someone wanting to get the Ultimate top Beatles song lists in Rolling Stone but to do so you would have to buy 14 issues because it would give suspense. It would be viewed as a money making rip-off.

As for suspense, as Monty Python did say,

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug

4 July 2015
5.25am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
188sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said
Um… exactly how old do you think I am, @Wigwam? Because I wouldn’t consider myself a member of the ‘youth’ demographic.

4 July 2015
7.22am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
189sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the compliment. I’ll give you a riddle.

When I was born, Paul McCartney was the same age I am now. From that, you should be able to figure out what my real age is a-hard-days-night-paul-11

4 July 2015
8.32am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
190sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said
Thanks for the compliment. I’ll give you a riddle.

When I was born, Paul McCartney was the same age I am now. From that, you should be able to figure out what my real age is a-hard-days-night-paul-11

Wow you don’t look it!!

You don’t look a day over 36!!

4 July 2015
10.40am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
191sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately you can’t please all the people…

The plan for the reveal isn’t just being revealed, however. Back in the very first post in this thread I said:

The first results will be published on 22 July, with all results published within (approximately) 3 months of that date.

All I have done is reveal the timetable we have established to fulfil what was originally promised.

4 July 2015
11.33am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

No reason you cant change the timetable so its done quicker.

Out of interest will the non-canon poll be commencing immediately after this one finishes in October or will there be a break? I’m hoping there will be a gap.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694