Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll
16 June 2015
12.57pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ron Nasty said
I’m not sure if it should be moved. For all those not expecting it to be here, there are those exactly where it is, and would be thrown if it was moved elsewhere.

Its a thread on the songs of the Beatles, albeit a vote by all. The natural inclination therefore is for it to go to the song thread as that particular sub-forum has the tag “chat about your favourite Beatles songs“; the All Together Now sub-forum is “non-Beatles discussions“, this poll clearly is Beatles-related and has led to discussion. 

What you have is some folk thrown by it being in the wrong sub-forum and others not thrown because they have learnt it is in the wrong sub-forum, something which is not a good reason not to move it as you could argue the same for any if not all threads before they are moved.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 June 2015
12.59pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

I moved it on AD40’s okay. I think most people have no idea where it is. I expected it to be in Songs when I thought about it the other day. We can help folks get here.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

meanmistermustard
16 June 2015
1.09pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Yes, as mmm said above, it seems logical to have it in the songs section. Now it is nice and tidy by the other ranking thread.

Will the results of this voting be published in thread … and the discussion take place here too? or will there be a separate thread for the results with this thread for the discussion of the results?

If we want to keep it all in one thread, as new parts of the list are revealed, they can be edited into post 1 so that people can keep up with the list.

16 June 2015
1.19pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I’m not complaining, though it may sound like I am. Hands up, I put it in the wrong place to begin with. It wasn’t where I intended to put it, and I didn’t notice that until it was pointed out to me. I thought I’d put it in Yesterday and Today, but hey-ho! I just think it’s a bit silly to move a thread that’s around halfway through its eight-week shelf-life. And now my link to it leads nowhere… so I’m gonna have to change that… I do have to say, as the person who opened the thread, I never wanted it in the Songs section… but that’s another story…

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

16 June 2015
1.36pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012

Let’s move it again.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

16 June 2015
1.45pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Beginning the process now. Just opened the link. I just want to say how impressed I am with how well this was put together.

Very well done Anna and RN!
apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Ron Nasty, Starr Shine?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

16 June 2015
1.46pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

As I asked in my previous post, will this thread die when the results are being posted? or this the thread that will house the results and discussions?

16 June 2015
1.56pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

My intention was to create general “The Beatles Bible Poll Results” and “The Beatles Bible Poll Discussions” threads in Yesterday and Today, which would give a home to Beatles polls we choose to do of any sort – while all of the results could have been collated in the first post. That was, and is, my plan…

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

16 June 2015
2.17pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Voted. Easy as pie. I encourage others to do the same. If you have a system, it goes very fast.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

16 June 2015
3.05pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

There, I did it!

I also look like the biggest Ringo-hater in the world, I think 2 of his songs got over ‘5’- sorry Rings :/ 

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

16 June 2015
4.17pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

I think I generally voted like this:

1. John
2. George
3. Paul
4. Ringo

Although I think Paul may have actually gotten more 10’s than George.

16 June 2015
4.25pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

I gave very few 10s about 4 or 5 I think and George may have gotten two of those *cough*.

I can’t help it, I’m just a Harrigirl at heart.

16 June 2015
4.28pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

I think I had at least one of each number from 1 through 10.

16 June 2015
4.29pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

Quite a lot of the songs I gave 1-4 to, mainly the early songs. I’m a terrible person a-hard-days-night-paul-7

16 June 2015
4.35pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

I hadn’t thought about my breakdown by each Beatle. I don’t think I want to go back and look.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Zig
16 June 2015
4.35pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I didn’t give any song a 2, the only number i didnt use. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 June 2015
5.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Seeing the votes, and without giving anything much away, I think I can say there is much more agreement on John songs than Paul songs. Good or bad, John songs tend to have a range of around 3 to 5 points, while Paul -at the moment – seems to get a spread of 5 to 7 points. Far more mainly/all-Paul songs are getting 1s and 10s than could be said of John songs. That is the only voting trait I will give away.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Zig

16 June 2015
5.26pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Certainly not how i voted. John did far better from me than Paul; i think i gave one Paul track full marks and even that i’m not sure. Can’t remember if George did or not, Ringo didnt get full marks.

16 June 2015
6.12pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

When I say a range of 3-5 points, I mean the majority of votes are in that range. So, if someone votes a John song a 9, the chances are others will have scored it a 10 or 8. If someone votes a Paul song a 9, it might also get 10s and 8s, but a 1 doesn’t surprise either. ‘Twas what I meant by saying by saying there’s more agreement on John’s scores than Paul’s. Several of Paul’s classics will appear lower than they may deserve because they get one or two very low scores against mainly high scores. As an example, Strawberry Fields has received all 8, 9 or 10s, while something like Blackbird  has received scores ranging from 2 to 10. Some of what people consider John’s worst contributions (say Revolution 9 ) will get an unexpected high score, but many of Paul’s best contributions (Blackbird Penny Lane ) will get surprisely (to me, at least) low scores. I will try to work this out more statistically once voting has closed. It is an interesting aspect of the voting though.

16 June 2015
7.09pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I surprised myself seeing my own inconsistency …………(I voted twice thinking my first attempt had gone astray) Ron sent me both sets of scores. ‘Yesterday ‘, which I’m not a lover of got a 7 on my first bash and 5 on my second.  In all cases my first set was allowed to stand.

I went through this poll very quickly….Read the song title, scored it next, next and so on. Probably taking only 5 minutes for the whole thing each time.

Between the two trie separated by 4 days…..about 100 were pleasingly spot on same and I don’t think I made a low, (below 5 song) into a high song or vice versa. But doing it twice very quickly proved to be an insight into my    ‘Ready…..Fire…..Aim’   mentality. Hope the canon doesn’t suffer because of it. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694