Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
27 July 2015
7.31pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Now I’m looking for names, RN and AD40! I want a list of everyone who scored Every Little Thing lower than an 8.

Image Enlarger

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug
27 July 2015
7.40pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

I love how Her Majesty scored better than Blue Jay Way – the cellos people! And that Flying beat Blue Jay Way

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

27 July 2015
7.48pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

Still waiting to get to the point of surprise as all of the songs here are to be expected in my opinion, even ‘Every Little Thing ‘. Some are great songs like the utterly bizarre yet wonderful ‘You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)’ but that can be said for many of the tracks.

Can’t remember what i scored ‘ELT’ @Ahhh Girl. What you need to do is have a year round 24/7 365 day policy for the track like i have going with ‘Hold Me Tight ‘. Works a treat when it comes to polls, rankings, votes and placings.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 July 2015
8.22pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Ooo, somebody would be on @Ahhh Girl’s list! And it isn’t me, @meanmistermustard!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

27 July 2015
8.25pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

AppleScruffJunior said
I love how Her Majesty scored better than Blue Jay Way – the cellos people! And that Flying beat Blue Jay Way

I love Flying and recall rating it quite highly.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

27 July 2015
8.31pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

These are my problems with this list:

Blue Jay Way , Flying and It’s Only A Northern Song should not have scored lower than any song in this list other than possibly All Together Now , I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party , Her Majesty or Doctor Robert . You Know My Name should have been waaaaay at the bottom of the rankings. It scored way too high. Also, I Wanna Be Your Man should be at least at the bottom of this list.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

27 July 2015
8.35pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

Ron Nasty said

Ooo, somebody would be on @Ahhh Girl’s list! And it isn’t me, @meanmistermustard!

I might be on her list. I don’t remember.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

27 July 2015
8.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Expert Textpert said

Ron Nasty said

I might be on her list. I don’t remember.

Very definitely!!!! So glad I scored it a 9. Not on her naughty step for once!!!!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

27 July 2015
9.02pm
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134

The following people thank nzbeatlefan for this post:

Ahhh Girl
27 July 2015
10.32pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

We’ve already reached the level of a pretty decent album by most people’s standards.

By-the-way I like The Beatles doing a Bonzo Dog on, ‘You know my name…..’ I gave it an 8. It was the ‘B’ side to the Let it Be single which I didn’t buy so I could only hear it at the pub at lunch…….(We were allowed in, even wearing our school uniforms…

I had money enough for a ‘Light and Lime’ a pie and one go on the juke box. ‘You know my name’ got my sixpence……My mates thought I was nuts.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

trcanberra, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Beatlebug
28 July 2015
12.34am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

nzbeatlefan said
Wait … so we’ve lost Doctor Robert , Every Little Thing , Not A Second Time and Don’t Bother Me but we still have Rocky Raccoon , Till There Was You , Love Me Do and When I’m Sixty-Four !?!?!

I was hoping Every Little Thing might be in the top 100!!! 🙁

The chorus for “Thing” is nice but the rest is just okay to my ears.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

28 July 2015
1.06am
Georgous
Valinor
The Top Ten Club
Members
Forum Posts: 61

Blue Jay Way and Only A Northern Song scored pretty low. HERESY!

The following people thank Georgous for this post:

Expert Textpert
28 July 2015
1.29am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

I’m also curious as to the sweep of the vote; how many people who took the poll handed out 1s or 2s.  Did anyone?

To the general audience: What was the lowest score you gave?  Don’t have to know which song.  Curious.

How many ’10s’ were handed out?  I think I gave out 2.

Yes. I gave Revolution 9 a 1, and I think the Run-out Groove too. I wondered why that one was in the poll, since it’s not a song at all. There were a few more very low grades on my end, but I don’t remember the exact ratings. Dig It and Wild Honey Pie were scored low (2 or 3, I think), and there have been several ‘failing grades’, but not too many.

I didn’t give out a lot of 10’s either though. I think some of my 9’s and 10’s were Something , Boys , Twist And Shout , and I’ve Just Seen A Face . I don’t remember them all, but I do know some of the songs that have already been revealed as less popular, were in the 8-10 category for me. 

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

28 July 2015
2.29am
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842

As I discussed somewhere far above, I took the opportunity to try something I’ve never done before:  I rated each song quickly and impulsively, going for the immediate gut feeling.

Secondly, I liked the 1 to 10 gradation, because it allowed me to accord plenty of props to great songs by giving them a 9 or an 8 — thereby clearing the field for those unearthly gems that exclusively deserve a 10.  (I.e., not giving a 10 doesn’t mean the song is not fabulous — it just means it’s not impossibly heavenly, as the special 10s are.)  The most fun I had was in discovering — or rediscovering — those special 10 songs, which don’t require any more than a lightning-fast nanosecond to know:  like an epiphany.  Example, the second my eye read “Penny Lane ” my brain (and heart) said.  “Of course!  10.  Absolutely no question!”

For me to know a 10, I simply experience the utter lack of any hesitation.  If I came across a song I love, and think is fabulous, but my fingers hesitated even a split-second above the keyboard, I just knew it couldn’t be a 10.

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby, Beatlebug, Into the Sky with Diamonds

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

28 July 2015
2.36am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Georgous said
 Blue Jay Way and Only A Northern Song scored pretty low. HERESY!

Personally I feel the former lacks direction and meanders a little; I find the latter more interesting.

28 July 2015
5.00am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I’m reading how members employed different methods to refine and calibrate their choices and how they held the awarding a 10 in reserve……for only a few blessed songs…….

My voting was the complete opposite…….

Votes from me:

1. 3

2. 8

3. 9

4. 11

5. 15

6. 32

7. 22

8. 24

9. 37

10. 58

For me there was nothing rarefied about giving a 10……What can I say? I’m a fan!!

119 songs were given an 8, 9 or a 10. It’s not just about clever production ‘Strawberry Fields’……it’s about the warmth these lads put ‘In My Life ‘ for ‘This Boy ‘ anyway…..Oh ‘Yes it bleeding is’

How can I separate songs as different but as wonderful as say ‘If I Fell ‘, ‘A Day In The Life ‘, ‘Eleanor Rigby ‘ or Paperback Writer ??

I know what song I would choose if I could only choose 1…….Fortunately we didn’t have to do that. 

Anyway….There you go…Should all average out.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Matt Busby, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Beatlebug
28 July 2015
5.51am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792

Ahhh Girl said
Now I’m looking for names, RN and AD40! I want a list of everyone who scored Every Little Thing lower than an 8.

Image Enlarger

I wouldn’t want to be anywhere around @Ahhh Girl if Girl doesn’t come in #1.  Everyone who didn’t rate it at least a 10 is going to be put on double secret probation.

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Ahhh Girl

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

28 July 2015
7.36am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Ahhh Girl said

Image Enlarger

What happens when you are on that list?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

28 July 2015
7.59am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

I’ve been too upset to decide upon their punishment yet. But, it will be good. a-hard-days-night-george-10

28 July 2015
9.39am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

I’m not going to list each one because I think most of these deserve to be in the mass of mediocre early songs, except the later ones which unless I say otherwise I still agree (meaning they are at the low end of the later stuff). Speaking of which we are really getting into some later-half stuff (I place the halfway mark at the middle of Rubber Soul – the better songs off it count in the 2nd half of their career, the lesser songs in the first half).  For the first time, I ranked several of these lower than the gang (most of the ones I don’t comment on specifically I ranked lower),

=187 (217)
Only A Northern Song – no way! this one should definitely be higher (see my recent post in this song’s topic!) +50

=181 (223) All Together Now – this should be higher, it’s a really fun, unique song with an awesome message for its time, at least in the states (“black, white, green, red, can I bring my friend to bed”) – the first song I feel belongs in the top 100

=178 (224) I Wanna Be Your Man – ok, my arm feels twisted as I type “I’m ok with it here” – but there goes another Ringo song. Wonder which Ringo song will chart highest? My money’s on Don’t Pass Me By , but there are a couple other possibilities.

=175 (225) Her Majesty – I rated it quite low :p
You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) – As cool as this one is, I just couldn’t justify giving it a higher rank and apparently neither could everyone else 😉

171 (229) Doctor Robert – I wonder how long before we see another Revolver song?

As far as Every Little Thing , let’s just say if @Starr Shine? comes to Ohio, I’m not going to give her my address! But she might like the high rating I gave Piggies , thanks in part to her drawing my attention to the song during the heated White Album song ranking competition topic (I forget exactly what that game was called).

EDIT: I guess it’s @Ahhh Girl who likes Every Little Thing . Even worse, as I know she’s in my hemisphere at least!

@Ron Nasty wrote: It’s the 28th where I yam! And I can only be where I yam! Sneaked out without a Herald! Or a Morris Minor!!!

What a nice early surprise to login on the 27th and find a new result set! I have no clue what a Herald or a Morris Minor is (a brand of fag maybe?), but thanks Ron 🙂 Of course I took so long to compose this that I fell asleep and now it’s after noon on the 28th where Ron is – and the 29th where some of you are!

After all that’s been said about covers, I went back and looked at my votes. Only 4 covers appeared in my approximately 75 7+ ranked songs, and only 5 covers appeared in the 80 1-4s. So my distribution was probably about the same, cover vs non-cover. A higher percentage of covers scored in the middle, I judged the bad originals more harshly than the worst covers, but the did pick really good songs to cover. I am familiar with all the original versions, if I wasn’t before I heard the Beatles version I sought out the original. I enjoy studying modern music & the more I know the more I enjoy listening, as opposed to those who listen purely for pleasure (and I don’t mean to say that either attitude is “better” or that my opinions are worth more than anyone else, just explaining why I took the time to find the original when I wasn’t familiar with it already).

As I ranked them I was thinking that it’s an extra hurdle to exceed the author’s version, where the author performed it. I agree that some, like Twist And Shout , are special because of their place in Beatles history, and deserve a high rank. I gave it a very undeserving 3 for some reason – whatever it was, your statements made me recoil in horror when I reviewed and saw what I had done (I now feel it should have been a 6-7). You may have noticed I have a tendency to over-analyze things sometimes, especilly after the fact!

The Beatles themselves wrote so many really tremendous songs that it’s difficult for even them to surpass their own stuff covering someone else. They picked really good songs to cover, and (again because of their sheer prolificity…prolificne-ne-ness…err, volume of work) they wrote a lot of mediocre songs. A mediocre Beatles song is as good as a good “anyone else” song 🙂 But we’re not judging them against others (barring covers, but they are still Beatles performing them). I’ll say that I required an extra-good interpretation of a cover to rate the same as an ordinary interpretation of their own song, and then shut up about it!

Unlike @Wigwam, I feel we’re into a section where there won’t be a lot of big surprises – expect the next 80 slots or so to be comprised of most of the rest of the early stuff and about a third of the later stuff.  So the top 100 will end up about 3/4 later stuff and 1/4 early stuff. I bet the discussion really heats up at about #100 🙂

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690