Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
26 July 2015
5.19am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Zig said
Yikes! I’m starting to think, for the most part, the voters are against songs that rock. At first glance, I feel many of the songs in the first two groups of results are horribly underrated. Then after thinking about it for a while, I realized every song has to be ranked somewhere and they can’t all be tied for first place. I am stunned that ‘Boys ‘ ranked so poorly. ‘Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby ‘ got a bad placement as well – one of my favorites on the album.  Even though ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzy ‘ gets my toes to tapping, it gets very little love on the Forum. I suspect that may be because it could be shorter. Part of the bad results for some of these may be my fault as well because as a rule, I believe I ranked covers lower than original songs. I wish I hadn’t now. Is it too late to change my votes on the covers?a-hard-days-night-ringo-14  
**When I give my opinions on these songs or rankings, admittedly it looks like I am ripping them or perhaps those who voted against them. I’m really not. I simply compare each song individually in my mind to other Beatles songs and let y’all know how I feel about it or its ranking. Remember, my heart is worn on my forehead!! There will never be a doubt how I feel about anything. Know this, too – when I’m listening to The Beatles, I sing just about every song as loud as is appropriate for the setting. Not well, mind you – just loud. I love ’em!

apple01heart

I’m curious how people voted; did they vote with their hearts (and foot) or take the opportunity to play rock critic.  Of course, I’m partial to the rockers.  They’re what get my feet moving and my head swaying and grab whatever’s handy for air guitar… whereas a lot of people might have voted based on a song’s importance or it’s historical impact.  Vote for your favorites is a loaded presumption.  You can have too many, y’know.

I’m also curious as to the sweep of the vote; how many people who took the poll handed out 1s or 2s.  Did anyone?

To the general audience: What was the lowest score you gave?  Don’t have to know which song.  Curious.

How many ’10s’ were handed out?  I think I gave out 2.

Anyway, the poll was extremely fun and I greatly appreciate Ron & Anna’s staging of this.  Really, really cool.  Thanks!

The following people thank C.R.A. for this post:

Zig
26 July 2015
5.56am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Wigwam said

Ron Nasty said

Wigwam said
One thing is becoming clear that the method of revelation chosen by the Mods allows for plenty of discussion and builds the tension nicely towards an orgasmic conclusion when the top ten explodes all over our screens…….

Sorry got carried away…..A little prematurely perhaps!!

The Mods had nothing to do with how @Starr Shine? and I are revealing the results. We laid out a basic timetable that people didn’t like, though it was always dependant on how the results looked when they were locked, so we adjusted it slightly to pacify people until we could see the final results. When we saw the final results, they didn’t fit either of our proposals, and so a new timetable was worked out.

No Mods were involved at any stage. This is all me and AD40.

I thought….. assumed you were both mods. Well you should be after doing all this……….

Now if you read my post in the light of the misapprehension of my false assumption…….. You’ll see I was flattering you both and praising you to the hilt.

I hope I haven’t offended you.

Well to be fair, Ron was a mod.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

26 July 2015
7.02am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

I voted with a mixture of head and heart and no set guidelines like covers get less. Historical impact made no difference.

Can’t remember how many 10’s i scored but probably 4 or 5.

Lowest was ‘Hold Me Tight ‘ which got 1. Both ‘Across The Universe ‘ versions got three as the mixes stink.

The majority of tracks were rated between 6 and 8 if i recall correctly.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 July 2015
8.16am
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278

Well ,at least I saved my beloved What Goes On if I remember correctly with a higher grade. I hope others did the same. C’mon.

The following people thank StrawberryWalrus for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby
26 July 2015
8.24am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

What Goes On ‘ is my favourite Ringo track. I think I gave it an 8, a whisper away from a 9.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

StrawberryWalrus, trcanberra, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 July 2015
9.07am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

I voted by how many times I actually listened to the songs by themselves. I never get a real urge to listen to any of Ringo’s songs outside of listening through an album so all of his songs (bar Octopus’s Garden and Yellow Submarine ) I scored 3-4. I gave ’10’ to around 5 songs, I think, which I love and listen to constantly. 
In saying that, I did give a lot of songs (particularly the covers bar Please Mister Postman ) 3-6 because I don’t listen to them on their own.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

26 July 2015
9.48am
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278

If I had to rate them based on the amount of time I listen to them… heck, I’d have to give 10 to 99% of them a-hard-days-night-paul-11

The following people thank StrawberryWalrus for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra, Matt Busby, Ahhh Girl, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
26 July 2015
6.53pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Despite my post about trying to vote “objectively” based on song’s impact, innovativeness, etc, and doing a fair amount of pre-voting analysis, I ended up voting my heart – then making some distributional adjustments.  Now that I see how close they all are, I’m still curious… I tried to spread my votes out evenly, but they were still skewed, averaging higher than 5.  I gave out a couple 0’s and 23 10s (I figured, with ~220 songs, and a 10 point scale (hmm – actually 11 point), each rating point should have about 22 songs, and I counted the 9s and 10s to make sure I gave an appropriate number). But like many of us I simply could not give 0s and 1s to 20+ songs. If I had to guess off the cuff I’d say my votes were distributed something like 2-9-18-20-30-30-30-28-25-22-23.

I think the earlier songs were more widely distributed, with less songs getting middling scores, whereas the later stuff being more original and better overall got a smoother distribution. I think 1 song starting with Revolver got a 2 (it’s even one of their most famous and most covered), so if my numbers above are right 28 of the 29 0s-2s were pre-Revolver .

Maybe the pollsters could run some additional statistics, like standard deviation, distribution graphs, etc (j/k guys, you’re already doing more than enough!).

I tried to judge each song compared to the total library – but like um, Zig I think, I generally downgraded covers two points because they were covers and there were so many originals to take up the top 4 ranks…I think 2 covers got 7+, You’ve Really Got A Hold on Me and Words Of Love , the former in particular surpasses Smokey’s original – which I don’t say lightly and certainly makes it deserving (in my mind) of the 9 I gave it. The simplicity and depth of its message makes it one of the greatest pop songs ever written. Who among us who has loved hasn’t felt that dilemma?

I dunno…I can go on and on, but half of what I say will probably be meaningless 😉 I just want to speak my heart..er, no (how easily I get sidetracked)…I just want to emphasize again how cool this project is, it’s the most fun I’ve had at this place in the 18 months I’ve been here 🙂 I’m actually aware of what day to expect the next results (and making sure I know when that day comes around so I know to check for them). I’m normally totally lost without my phone calendar.

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

26 July 2015
7.25pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

I pick what I like regardless of who wrote it originally

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Matt Busby, Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl, C.R.A., Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

26 July 2015
8.04pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

Me too, AD40.

I for voted them how I liked them against each other. It will be interesting to see if my votes change the next time this poll comes up.

26 July 2015
10.07pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

I just voted on whether I thought they were pleasing or annoying, and I think I used one of each number. Several songs got 10s, but not an outrageous number. Very few got extremely low numbers. If I thought a song was decent, I gave it a 5 or a 6.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

26 July 2015
11.45pm
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

Annadog40 said
I pick what I like regardless of who wrote it originally

Right!  How does a lower rating correspond to who wrote it?

I couldn’t lower my rating of Twist And Shout because it was a cover.  It’s historical significance, Lennon’s performance, etc.  Not to mention, the song just blows you away.

Like Matt said; if you love it, shouldn’t matter who wrote it.

There’s a lube for that.

The following people thank C.R.A. for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Matt Busby
27 July 2015
2.15am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

Yeah, I voted with my heart too. Some were obvious 10’s or 9’s (to me), most were 6-8, some were less. I did add 1 extra point for some songs I personally dislike but which objectively have elements I do like, such as a good riff, an exceptional harmony, or great lyrics. But 90% of my votes were based on instinct and I definitely didn’t judge the covers differently. If I like a song, I like a song, regardless of who the original artist is. In most (if not all) cases, I’m only familiar with the Beatles version anyway.

In a way, it bothers me to see people are giving songs a low rating *because* they’re covers. Let’s not forget none of us would know who the Beatles were if they hadn’t done any covers. It’s how they started after all; by singing other people’s songs. 

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Matt Busby

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

27 July 2015
5.43am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792

I rated most covers lower, but not because they are covers. IMHO, in many cases they just aren’t as pleasing as original compositions. It might have something to do with the fact that the original Beatle compositions were written by better composers, but that’s just a guess. I just like them better.  

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Matt Busby

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

27 July 2015
6.56am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

My mom knew some of the songs The Beatles covered from back in the 50’s (the originals). When she heard The Beatles doing them, she said that The Beatles make them bettter.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Matt Busby
27 July 2015
7.31am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3968

i was surprised seeing “Bad boy” so low in the list. even lower than their german stuff… It may be a cover and all that…but it’s so punchy and well done…It’s one of my favorites of their covers and, as i said in other thread, i think it would have been a terrific track for Help ! album, instead of Dizzy

"I Need You by George Harrison"

27 July 2015
3.40pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

It’s very interesting to see the varying methods of voting. There really is no wrong way. Whether or not I personally agree with where some of the songs fell so far, this is definitely fun.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 July 2015
3.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I rather just blanked my mind when I did it. I’d already had a few weeks looking at scores, seeing how songs were doing. I wanted none of that to affect my scores, and so I just cleared my mind of what I’d seen and went for it. Ten minutes or so, the scores that came into my head without thinking. I changed two scores when I transferred them across to my safety document. I added a point to each. Apart from that I stayed with my first instincts.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

27 July 2015
7.04pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

189 (216) Blue Jay Way
=187 (217) Flying
Only A Northern Song
186 (219) I’ll Get You
185 (220) I’ll Cry Instead
184 (222) What Goes On
=181 (223) All Together Now
Don’t Bother Me
I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party
=178 (224) I Wanna Be Your Man
Misery
Tell Me What You See
=175 (225) Her Majesty
You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
You Like Me Too Much
=173 (226) Honey Pie
Not A Second Time
172 (228) Every Little Thing
171 (229) Doctor Robert

It’s the 28th where I yam! And I can only be where I yam! Sneaked out without a Herald! Or a Morris Minor!!!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

27 July 2015
7.14pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

We’re now hitting the region where we start to really think ,’Why so low?……..such and such is one of my favourites!!’

Just continues to prove the lad’s worth.

Flying ‘, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man ‘ and ‘Misery ‘ should be lower rest are bloody great!!

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691