Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
30 August 2015
9.57am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
441sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was actually surprised they dropped so few points. SFF is only 13 points short, and ADitL 14. SFF had a vote range of 8 to 10, while for a ADitL it was 7 to 10.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Matt Busby

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

30 August 2015
1.58pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
442sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said 

I would like to thank @Starr Shine? for her huge contribution and help with this poll. If it is considered a success, much of that is down to her. Should she agree, I look forward to doing the non-Canon poll with her at the beginning of next year.

I do hope we have served the forum well with this poll, and have conducted it as we laid out in the first post over in the thread that set it up.

For myself, it has been a pleasure to do this for all my fellow beautiful Forumpudlians (and even the ugly ones among you a-hard-days-night-george-10).

I’ve enjoyed the ride, I hope you have too.

Huge thanks to all that took part, whether by voting or commenting along the way.

It’s been fun!!!!

heart

On behalf of Dirk, Stig & myself I want to thank you and Anna for the polls great success. You both are truly Odobenus nosmarustrue! I am heading out to buy some new headphones and will shortly begin the process of preparing for the 2016 Fab Forum Non-Canon Poll!

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Starr Shine?, Ron Nasty, Domino

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

30 August 2015
3.37pm
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
443sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
I was actually surprised they dropped so few points. SFF is only 13 points short, and ADitL 14. SFF had a vote range of 8 to 10, while for a ADitL it was 7 to 10.

Alright, who’s the Rolling Stones fan who gave ADITL a 7?  a-hard-days-night-john-3

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Ron Nasty

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

30 August 2015
5.03pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1981
444sp_Permalink sp_Print

SFF is a wonderful, dreamy, introspective, psychedelic, ground-breaking piece. But to someone who doesn’t know the Beatles, I don’t think I’d say, “here, this is the prime example of what has made the Beatles the greatest band ever.” ADITL comes much closer to that if for no other reason that it’s even more of a Lennon-McCartney collaboration.

I’m actually even more surprised that Here Comes The Sun is considered the 3rd best song.

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

georgiewood, Wigwam, Matt Busby

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

30 August 2015
5.16pm
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3973
445sp_Permalink sp_Print

John and George in the top 3, that’s interesting… 

A Day In The Life ” is my #1 among those 3, no doubts.

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

Matt Busby

"I Need You by George Harrison"

30 August 2015
5.34pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
446sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
Whoa. It’s not the afternoon in America 

Top three

003 (356)
Here Comes The Sun
002 (376) A Day In The Life
001 (377) Strawberry Fields Forever

I guess that will be a surprise for many of us – but not for the significant number of folks who must have put it there.

Thanks again for the poll Ron and AD.

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Ron Nasty

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

30 August 2015
7.38pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I regard ‘Here Comes The Sun ‘ as an uplifting and pleasant ditty no more to be valued than say Yellow Submarine ….(though both should be valued)……….It wasn’t one of my whopping 58 10s.

How Paul didn’t break the top ten with Eleanor Rigby I’ll never understand…musically! But ‘hey… hey ho’

Here’s a very interesting take on that song…….I’ve got it to start where Eleanor is discussed. …….Opps I see that I haven’t…..skip to the 29 minute mark. 

Warning once you start watching you won’t stop…….Something for Matt Busby too here….’Child Of Nature

I suspect we will all be driven……if like me you haven’t already…….to think about an order to our favourites. I didn’t do that but I shall sit on the beach this afternoon…….Pick 10 favourites from my 58 tens….. musically and emotionally……Just so I know for myself.

Last thought on this…..Joe, (because the whole board is his creation)…..Anna & Nasty have become with this poll, a small part themselves of the Beatles’ story. Sometime in the future a researcher will dig out this poll and reference it…perhaps analyse  it to prove whatever point he or she wants to make.

So think on that…….Helps to make it worth the bother.

30 August 2015
8.00pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
448sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ron Nasty, would you do the honors and add the top three songs to the list in post 1?

31 August 2015
2.25am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
449sp_Permalink sp_Print

Done. @Ahhh Girl.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

31 August 2015
10.37am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
450sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Here Comes The Sun deserves the honors. It’s very simple, uplifting and hopeful. It has a timeless, universal quality.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Matt Busby

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

31 August 2015
10.58am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
451sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

Top three

003 (356)
Here Comes The Sun
002 (376) A Day In The Life
001 (377) Strawberry Fields Forever

Cool to see #’s 1 & 2 separated by only 1 point. Awesome that George made it to the Top 3.

Very well done @Ron Nasty and @Starr Shine? . Thanks very much for everything you did to make this exciting and keeping our interest.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby, Starr Shine?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

31 August 2015
12.51pm
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278
452sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m glad George’s up here too, Here Comes The Sun is a great optimistic song.

To sum it all up, we could revisit our personal top three and compare it to this, hmmmm?

Or just add up all the points and see who has the most.

People with low points would have, let’s say, “unusual taste” or something 🙂

31 August 2015
1.54pm
glazball
In my tree.
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 66
453sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Strawberry Fields Forever deserves it’s #1 spot.  The lyrics of SFF simply speak to the listener on a deeply personal, as well as cosmic, level.  There’s a book I enjoy highly: In Search of Schroedinger’s Cat by physicist John Gribbin who writes about the quantum reality of our universe for us laypeople.  He quotes John Lennon at the beginning of his book: “Nothing is real.”  I don’t know John was thinking along those lines when he wrote the song, but it does seem that the scientific and mystic get hard to separate at the quantum level.  Truly mind-bending stuff, again showing that John was a brilliant thinker.

A few other lyrics stand out in my mind, the lines: “Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see” as well as “And nothing to get hung about.”  I think the song encapsulates everything great about the Beatles.  Musicially incredible, lyrically thought-provoking – everything about the song is perfect to my mind.  It’s a song I’ll never tire of hearing, and often one that even my friends who don’t like the Beatles enjoy.

ADITL is another breath-taking song and I too find it interesting that it missed the tie for first by 1 point.  I would have put In My Life in my top 3, but I’m very happy with Here Comes The Sun also.  I’m a sucker for those early Moog synthesizers and HCTS uses it to great effect.  Even without, it’s just a beautiful and uplifting song.  Go George!

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with the results!  Thanks again to RN and Annadog for doing all the hard work.  This was fun!

The following people thank glazball for this post:

Matt Busby, trcanberra
31 August 2015
2.03pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
454sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been thinking of a future poll.

After deciding on which songs will be in the poll, each person would rank the songs. The person’s favorite song would get the top number (for example, in this poll the top number would be 220 because we voted on 220 songs). Then I (or someone) could compile the numbers for each song. No one would be allowed to have multiple songs as their #1 song the way people gave lots of songs a full 10 in this poll. They would have to make the hard choices of really, really ranking each song.

Or, like @nzbeatlefan did, we could stop at our top 100.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Matt Busby, Domino, nzbeatlefan
31 August 2015
2.14pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
455sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Wigwam 

That’s a great video. Really points out the reasons why I Am The Walrus , Penny Lane , etc… are so great.

Though not the intent of the piece, it also highlights IMO why it’s foolish to try to put either Lennon or McCartney above the other (and why the very best of McCartney belong with the very best of Lennon [and Harrison]).

31 August 2015
2.16pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

AAAARRRGGH! Will I ever learn? I just spent literally 3 hours composing a long, hopefully insightful post to summarize my feelings about the poll. Was previewing it, hit the wrong key, and poof. It’s not in my cutbuffer, can’t seem to get it back by going back through edits (ctrl-z)…Damn (I’m thinking something much worse!). Not that this is the right place to suggest it, but some sort of auto-backup feature would be a wonderful enhancement.

EDIT: I was upset when I posted this. It really wasn’t that long, but I had revised and revised, cutnpasted, checked facts, referred back to previous posts, etc. And I hope my comment about the auto-backup didn’t sound sarcastic – while it would be a nice feature, what happened was due to my own stupidity and no fault of the forum. With that in mind, and no longer shaking, I’m going to try again – composing in Word, and I’ll cutnpaste it here when in its entirety when it’s finished. You know how it is, I hadn’t started out intending to put such effort into it…

Anyway apologies for the off topic angry-at-myself post, and hopefully here in a little while will appear a relevant, hopefully interesting replacement of the original 🙂

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

31 August 2015
4.38pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
457sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I have been thinking of a future poll.

After deciding on which songs will be in the poll, each person would rank the songs. The person’s favorite song would get the top number (for example, in this poll the top number would be 220 because we voted on 220 songs). Then I (or someone) could compile the numbers for each song. No one would be allowed to have multiple songs as their #1 song the way people gave lots of songs a full 10 in this poll. They would have to make the hard choices of really, really ranking each song.

Or, like @nzbeatlefan did, we could stop at our top 100.

I like this idea – for all sorts of reasons.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

31 August 2015
4.58pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
458sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ahhh Girl @trcanberra 

It might be time consuming to juggle 220 songs, but I agree that 0-10 is limiting and voting multiple songs a ’10’ is (maybe) problematic.

Another option would be to open up the scoring to 0-100; people could be ‘encouraged’ not to vote ties.

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby

31 August 2015
5.22pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

I think each person picking their top 50 and ranking them 1-50 would be interesting. It would certainly be interesting to compare the results of that list to the results of this poll.

EDIT: or would 30 be better – a double album.

31 August 2015
5.32pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
460sp_Permalink sp_Print

Double post

…or, if people can’t stomach the thought of ranking the songs, we could each just pick our top 30, 50, or whatever number. We can see how many people choose each song to be in their top list.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694