Overrated vs. Underrated songs | Page 2 | The songs | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Overrated vs. Underrated songs
25 January 2010
3.37am
Alissa
Find me in my field of grass
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 401
Member Since:
21 August 2009
Offline
21

mjb said:To me it's a strange song to pick to open with.  Normally an artist kicks off with something really big and Drive My Car is just an album track that has never appeared on a Beatle compilation or Greatest Hits and it wasn't covered on Anthology….. I'm not saying it's a bad song (it isn't!) but my point was he could choice something 'bigger'.


I would suppose maybe it's one of the most universally known, well, at least even the most inept Beatles fan can whoop, "beep beep mm beep beep, YEAH!" Probably just a way to get the party started with a rocking, virtually John-unnecessary song.

Tongue, lose thy light. Moon, take thy flight… see ya, George!
25 January 2010
2.06pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3412
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline
22

As a side-note, have you heard Surprise Surprise (Sweet Bird Of Paradox) on John's Walls and Bridges album? It ends with him singing "Sweet sweet, sweet sweet love!", clearly intended to reference Drive My Car's beep beeps.

The same album starts with Going Down On Love, which has the line "Somebody please, please help me". I wonder whether he spent time listening to the old Beatles songs in the mid 70s.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

25 January 2010
4.35pm
Lewis346
Penny Lane
Decca
Forum Posts: 93
Member Since:
24 January 2010
Offline
23

skye said:

So then you would probably appreciate the literal version of Penny Lane:

(Video Was Here)

Lewis346: Wow, Watching it made me luagh so much, thanks for posting this!Laugh


Anytime at all, all you gotta do is call, and I'll be there.
25 January 2010
7.11pm
Day Tripper
Guest
24

Alissa said:

mjb said:To me it's a strange song to pick to open with.  Normally an artist kicks off with something really big and Drive My Car is just an album track that has never appeared on a Beatle compilation or Greatest Hits and it wasn't covered on Anthology….. I'm not saying it's a bad song (it isn't!) but my point was he could choice something 'bigger'.


I would suppose maybe it's one of the most universally known, well, at least even the most inept Beatles fan can whoop, "beep beep mm beep beep, YEAH!" Probably just a way to get the party started with a rocking, virtually John-unnecessary song.


I am very surprised that you dont like Drive My Car. In my ears its one of their best. It has a great rocking sound and brillant lyrics. But as always, its a matter of taste. To me, its one of their, lets say 10-15 best songs.

25 January 2010
7.42pm
bookworm
Guest
25

Hi I'm new and maybe I shouldn't butt in but…geez! Am I just a lost fanatic or what? I can't think of any Beatles song that's over-rated. Under-rated yhea a few. IF I FELL – a very pretty song and proves John can be as romantic as Paul when he wants to be.  YOUR GONNA LOSE THAT GIRL (someone mentioned that) – one of those "difinative" Beatles Songs. And this one, not written by a Beatle but a great cover – BAD BOY.  Hey one more thing, I did think of an 'over-rated' song – LET IT BE – slow. and it's really a Paul song only. He sounds like he's trying too hard to do a classic and it dosn't work. Anyway, thanks for letting me into your message domain. And again, HI!   Wink

25 January 2010
9.21pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3412
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline
26

Hi Bookworm! Glad to have you join us in the forum Laugh

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

25 January 2010
11.47pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline
27

Day Tripper said:

I am very surprised that you dont like Drive My Car. In my ears its one of their best. It has a great rocking sound and brillant lyrics. But as always, its a matter of taste. To me, its one of their, lets say 10-15 best songs.


I didn't say I didn't like it – I do. What I was saying was it isn't going to be in the top ten list of Beatle classics that maybe you would select for Paul to kick off a show. But as you say, it's all down to choice Laugh

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
27 January 2010
7.28pm
Elsewhere Man
Guest
28

Underrated:

"I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" – As I said in a previous post, Gram Parsons indicated that this might have been the first Country-Rock song & I agree with him

"Old Brown Shoe" – Why this got relegated to B-Side obscurity I'll never understand.

"Oh! Darling" – Paul's greatest rock vocal performance.

"Paperback Writer" – Their most underrated #1, IMO. This was a hugely innovative track when it was released.

"If I Needed Someone" – Another one of those great examples of how the Beatles' influence on another group (In this case, The Byrds) came back to influence their own music. George's use of electric 12-string on AHDN caused Roger McGuinn to pick one up for himself. His approach to the instrument, in turn, influenced George Harrison. Hence, this great tune…

Overrated:

"Come Together" – A great tune but the most overplayed on classic rock radio.

"Norwegian Wood" – Not overrated as a song so much as it's overrated as a ground breaker in eastern-flavored pop music. While they didn't specifically use a sitar, the Kinks & Yardbirds captured the eastern sound first with "See My Friends," and "Heart Full Of Soul," respectively.

"All You Need Is Love" – It definitely hit the spot for its time but it hasn't aged as well as some people seem to think.

"She Loves You" – Yeah yeah yeah, we get it already…

"Can't Buy Me Love" – I thought it was better in its early stages – more R&B-ish.

27 January 2010
7.29pm
Elsewhere Man
Guest
29

skye said:

So then you would probably appreciate the literal version of Penny Lane:

I think the main difference is how much radio/tv play the songs get. I like Penny Lane but it is over played. I would swap In My Life for She's Leaving Home. I can understand if IML doesn't click for you but SLH has too much false drama for me.

I think Good Morning Good Morning is underrated.


This is my 12-year old daughter's favorite Beatles song. She loves the sequence from Help! and positively adores Paul…

27 January 2010
7.31pm
Elsewhere Man
Guest
30

I messed up on the quoting on my last post. That was supposed to be in response to "You're Gonna Lose That Girl."

27 January 2010
7.34pm
Elsewhere Man
Guest
31

BeatleMark said:

Alissa said:Oh, I know, I know, I didn't mean by any means the song sucked, I honestly can't say that any Beatles song sucks, and I highly doubt I ever will. What do people think about Ob La Di, Ob La Da? It seems to be another that a lot of people think are overrated/worse than people think, but I actually really like it. Especially the Anthology version, I like it better, anyone feel the same?


Yeah, I prefer the Anthology 3 version as well…
6 March 2010
2.07am
sgtpepperbowman
Virginia, United States
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
20 February 2010
Offline
32
I am the walrus that lives in a yellow submarine because I like to be in an octopus' garden
6 March 2010
2.08am
sgtpepperbowman
Virginia, United States
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
20 February 2010
Offline
33

Oh yeah, Ticket To Ride is another overated song, Rocky Racoon is another underated song

I am the walrus that lives in a yellow submarine because I like to be in an octopus' garden
10 March 2010
2.23am
Riadradtastic
Guest
34

I think what goes on is underrated. I love that song and everytime Ringo sings it I want to sob. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

 

Also maxwell silver hammer a-hard-days-night-john-1

26 April 2010
11.19am
LOMAN
St Peters Church
Forum Posts: 13
Member Since:
26 April 2010
Offline
35

No Beatles song has ever been overrated!!!! a-hard-days-night-paul-11
But, there are many that are underrated:

"Helter Skelter" I beleive is underrated as being the first heavy metal song ever. I don't care what you maight say about Blue Cheer or the Kinks or the stinkin' Who, or about the whole Led Zep/Sabbath crap…this is the FIRST heavy metal song ever released!

"You Can't Do That" is underrated as having one of the coolest bass lines ever! For that matter so are "I Want You", "Come Together" and "Don't Let Me Down"! Hell…Paul is underrated as being one of the best bass players to pick up the instrument! (seems like he always let himself go nuts on John's tracks…maybe a tendency to outshine)

"Let It Be" is underrated as one of the most spiritual songs ever written. I don't care if he wrote it about his mother…it should've been picked up by the Catholic church as their national anthem years ago. And for more than just the "Mother Mary" lines, how about the line "For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see", that is perfectly fitting for their belief about purgatory and a person's chance at redemption even though "they may be parted".

The band is underrated for writting some of the very first riff based music as well: "Day Tripper", "Hey Bulldog", etc.

And, any song featuring the millions of studio/production inovations they (along with the genius George Martin) created. Backwards tracking, splicing, looping, dumping, seguing (the second side of Abbey Road is far underrated as being the best piece of music ever recorded), hidden tracks, etc. 

Oh that magic feeling…nowhere to go!
26 April 2010
3.32pm
McLerristarr
A Place
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 257
Member Since:
13 November 2009
Offline
36

LOMAN said:

"Helter Skelter" I beleive is underrated as being the first heavy metal song ever. I don't care what you maight say about Blue Cheer or the Kinks or the stinkin' Who, or about the whole Led Zep/Sabbath crap…this is the FIRST heavy metal song ever released!

 


 

I agree. I like the Kinks and the Who (but I've never heard of Blue Cheer) but they were more hard rock, they hadn't crossed that line yet. Paul took up the challenge to outdo The Beatles contemporaries in the loudness war of the time – and he succeeded spectacularly! But it's not just Paul's song, it's a team effort. In the outtakes it starts as a blues rock song and gets heavier from there. Brilliant. Severely underrated. If only hardcore metal fans knew of this song.

26 April 2010
6.08pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2178
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
37

Heh heh…if you've never heard Blue Cheer (or even heard OF 'em), you aren't really in the best position to judge! :)  I'd say most hardcore metal fans surely know "Helter Skelter", even if they only know Motley Crue's crap version. I don't think there's any definitive answer as to who "invented" metal any more than there's a quantifiable difference between "metal" and "hard rock". To my ears, "Helter Skelter" is too trebly and anarchic and cacophonous to really qualify – I think even "Revolution" is closer to what became known as metal. I think of heavy metal musicians as being solidly in control of their instruments, whereas the Beatles seem overwhelmed by the racket they're creating. No self-respecting metal drummer would ever complain about blisters! No, I think "Helter Skelter" far surpasses most metal, and I consider myself a fan of the genre.

 

 

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
26 April 2010
6.18pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2178
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
38

I don't know about "overrated" (or if it's really even "rated"), but "Can't Buy Me Love" is to me the most mundane of all the early big hit singles. Just a fairly mundane 12-bar thing with little of the exuberance or surprising harmonies or turnarounds of all their other '63-64 singles. Plus the opening "I'll buy you a diamond ring…" line makes absolutely no sense in the context of the rest of the lyrics.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
26 April 2010
9.58pm
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1108
Member Since:
4 April 2010
Offline
39

LOMAN said:

No Beatles song has ever been overrated!!!! a-hard-days-night-paul-11

But, there are many that are underrated:

"Helter Skelter" I beleive is underrated as being the first heavy metal song ever. I don't care what you maight say about Blue Cheer or the Kinks or the stinkin' Who, or about the whole Led Zep/Sabbath crap…this is the FIRST heavy metal song ever released!

"You Can't Do That" is underrated as having one of the coolest bass lines ever! For that matter so are "I Want You", "Come Together" and "Don't Let Me Down"! Hell…Paul is underrated as being one of the best bass players to pick up the instrument! (seems like he always let himself go nuts on John's tracks…maybe a tendency to outshine)

"Let It Be" is underrated as one of the most spiritual songs ever written. I don't care if he wrote it about his mother…it should've been picked up by the Catholic church as their national anthem years ago. And for more than just the "Mother Mary" lines, how about the line "For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see", that is perfectly fitting for their belief about purgatory and a person's chance at redemption even though "they may be parted".

The band is underrated for writting some of the very first riff based music as well: "Day Tripper", "Hey Bulldog", etc.

And, any song featuring the millions of studio/production inovations they (along with the genius George Martin) created. Backwards tracking, splicing, looping, dumping, seguing (the second side of Abbey Road is far underrated as being the best piece of music ever recorded), hidden tracks, etc. 


Ticket To Ride was SOOOOOOO the first metal song. John said it himself.
"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."
27 April 2010
9.54pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2178
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
40

Ticket To Ride was SOOOOOOO the first metal song. John said it himself.


Haha yeah, but did he really use the word "metal"? I know he referred to it as "pretty fuckin' heavy" but I always wonder if maybe he meant "heavy" as in deep/weighty/profound etc.  To my ears, "Ticket To Ride" sounds nowhere as close to heavy metal as did the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" which predated it by a year…or even Howlin' Wolf's "How Many More Years", from 1951! 

To my way of thinking, loud, fuzzy distorted guitar is the crucial ingredient, and the Beatles didn't really add that component before Rubber Soul.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Atlas, Bulldog
53 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9305

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 4934

mithveaen: 4651

Ahhh Girl: 4568

Zig: 3740

Annadog40: 3705

Mr. Kite: 3320

Ron Nasty: 2975

fabfouremily: 2927

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2524

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3173

Posts: 130109

Newest Members: SaxonMothersSon, HAWAIIBEATLESFAN, all8daysaweek, batbear, mal evans

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4568), meanmistermustard (9305), Zig (3740), Joe (3412)

Administrators: Joe (3412), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: Filipe