Ringo (1973 album) | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ringo (1973 album)
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
No permission to create posts
12 November 2010
11.27pm
Dear Prudence
Coming down fast but miles above you.
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1162
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 September 2013
10.51am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093

I could go on all day about this album.  It's immensely enjoyable to me.

I'm the Greatest is a wonderfully clever song by John, both in lyrics, and in chords and riffs -- I especially like that blues bass riff based on D7 that reverts suddenly back to the B7 of the beginning; then later slides instead back into itself, then slides into E7, then transforms into an ingenious riff on half steps from E down to Bb to revert back into B7 again.

Six O'Clock in the Morning is one of those songs by Paul that most everyone belittles him for -- a "soft" and "sappy" pop song; but what they all forget is that it's a good song, for Pete's sake; I mean, what the f#@(*$ is wrong with something being pretty for f#*@(&$ sake!?  (God sometimes I hate young people -- and middle-aged people trying to be young -- and their fanatical cult of "cool" ...!) And I also like Paul's use of a "squishy" synthesizer sound in this one.

Photograph -- don't get me started.  A beautiful song with classic features.  Easily on the level of good Beatles songs.  And a songwriting collaboration of Ringo with George.

Sail Away Raymond -- my favorite Harrison song of all time.  A deceptively non-sequiturish cul-de-sac of a little curio, but actually quite deep in its own right, and delightful in its country twang instrumentation.

Sweet Sixteen -- Good God, all four Beatles going to town on a 50s rock classic -- what's not to love?  And by the way, their effortless lark here improves that classic immeasurably. (Also, Harry Nilsson's bass voice is as devilish a touch as is Paul's "mouth sax solo" that I swear sounds like a kazoo.)

Step Lightly -- An exquisitely cool and understated song with very slick instrumentation using the Fender Rhodes electric piano and a couple of smooth and juicy clarinets (a sadly underused instrument in pop/rock in general), along with Klaus Voormann doing some excellently sharp electric bass playing; and the pièce de résistance: Ringo actually tap-dancing on mike! -- for which the only word I can think of is perfectissimo.

The few other songs left I like, but not wildly.  Oh My My is infectious, and You and Me Babe has its charm (especially as it fades out and Ringo gets into a sing-song mode of farewell reminiscent of Sgt. Pepper's).

The following people thank Funny Paper for this post:

Matt Busby
Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
24 September 2013
11.12am
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4945

Funny Paper said
Sweet Sixteen -- Good
God, all four Beatles going to town on a 50s rock classic -- what's not to love?  And by the way, their effortless lark here improves that classic immeasurably. (Also, Harry Nilsson's bass voice is as devilish a touch as is Paul's "mouth sax solo" that I swear sounds like a kazoo.)

You're Sixteen - "all four Beatles going to town on a 50s rock classic"? I know Paul's contribution to the song, but what do John and George do on it? So far as I know, neither of them appear on this track. I'm the Greatest would not be hailed as the nearest we got to a Beatles reunion if another track on the same album was a Beatles reunion.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

24 September 2013
10.26pm
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5545
24 September 2013
10.46pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

mja6758 said

Funny Paper said
Sweet Sixteen -- Good
God, all four Beatles going to town on a 50s rock classic -- what's not to love?  And by the way, their effortless lark here improves that classic immeasurably. (Also, Harry Nilsson's bass voice is as devilish a touch as is Paul's "mouth sax solo" that I swear sounds like a kazoo.)

You're Sixteen - "all four Beatles going to town on a 50s rock classic"? I know Paul's contribution to the song, but what do John and George do on it? So far as I know, neither of them appear on this track. I'm the Greatest would not be hailed as the nearest we got to a Beatles reunion if another track on the same album was a Beatles reunion.

Quite right -- my memory was conflating things.  The album in its entirety was hailed as a "reunion" but one that has to be pieced together from song to song -- at least all four are on the same album.

I do like also that devilish twist on the traditional lyric of "You're Sixteen" (not sure if Ringo is responsible for this glint of genius):

She walked out of my dreams,

and into my car...

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
27 September 2013
3.00am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

Just a P.S.:  I think Ringo is a good singer, and this album showcases him as a singer. Singing isn't just about pyrotechnics; it's also about style and tone.  Ringo's tone of voice is quite charming and relaxing, and there's nobody who sings quite like him.  Sure, he may have a limited range of types of song suited to him, but the ones that do fit him well are great.

29 January 2015
10.06pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Forum Posts: 10751

@carlose01, I moved your question over here. I re-titled the thread to make it more accurate.

Ringo-1973.jpgImage Enlarger

Let's see if we can figure out the answer.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Annadog40, ewe2, JPM-Fangirl
47 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17138

Ahhh Girl: 10751

Annadog40: 9751

Zig: 7555