Revolver album recording details | Recording and musicology | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Revolver album recording details
28 February 2010
2.05pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

I've just spent about four hours adding recording comments to each of the tracks on the Revolver album song details.  These were taken from Walter Everett's book ans asre listed as "Everett's take". Whilst they might not be 100% accurate, I think he's done a pretty good job.

Depending on whether these are deemed useful, I will, in time, add more to other songs / albums if required.........

and if that's OK with our Chief Honcho Joe. a-hard-days-night-john-6 

Footnote: Joe - isn't it time consuming!!!

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
1 March 2010
6.43pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2172
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline

Don't forget: If Everett claims that the "Tomorrow Never Knows" guitar parts are taken from the "Taxman" solo, chopped up, speed-corrected and played backwards, he's WRONG! :)

 

(Most likely, they're taken from an ALTERNATE take of the "Taxman" solo.)

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
2 March 2010
5.52pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

Has anybody checked my comments out? It'd be good to get some feedback.......please!

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
2 March 2010
6.43pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2172
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline

Checking 'em out right now!...

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
2 March 2010
6.51pm
RonnieRIG
The Mitten State!
The Star-Club
Forum Posts: 71
Member Since:
15 February 2010
Offline

Either I'm an idiot, or I'm blind, because I can't find your comments anywhere! Where are they located?

2 March 2010
8.36pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3462
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

This is my fault - sorry, been offline for a couple of days. The comments can be found on the Revolver song pages - click through from http://www.beatlesbible.com/al...../revolver/

MJB - many thanks for these - it's much appreciated. If you have any notes on the actual model of instruments that's be even better, but please don't feel obliged. The other thing I'd suggest is that people might not know what 'Everett's take' refers to, so perhaps don't worry about listing them as this.

And yes, it's all terribly time consuming! You should see my study - Beatles books strewn everywhere, for those moments when I have to look up a random fact from somewhere or other...

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

3 March 2010
3.14pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

Joe said:

This is my fault - sorry, been offline for a couple of days. The comments can be found on the Revolver song pages - click through from http://www.beatlesbible.com/al...../revolver/

MJB - many thanks for these - it's much appreciated. If you have any notes on the actual model of instruments that's be even better, but please don't feel obliged. The other thing I'd suggest is that people might not know what 'Everett's take' refers to, so perhaps don't worry about listing them as this.

And yes, it's all terribly time consuming! You should see my study - Beatles books strewn everywhere, for those moments when I have to look up a random fact from somewhere or other...


 

Everett does imply the usage of particular guitars occasionally, but sometimes I think it's guess work, although he might be doing this by the sound.  I know there are people who can recognise different makes / models by sound.

I can certainly add about what guitars etc were 'known' to be available at these sessions. Shall I put that on the album page instead of the individual songs?

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
3 March 2010
5.06pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3462
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

What I'd like to do eventually is have a proper list of instruments played for each song. So, whereas now it might say John Lennon: vocals, electric guitar, tambourine, it might say vocals, Rickenbacker 325 electric guitar, tambourine. It's a nerdy thing and most won't care, but I'd love to have that much detail.

As I said before, please don't feel obliged to help, but if you happen to know what was used I'd really appreciate the info. A lot of the earlier recordings are pretty easy as they didn't have many guitars, but from 1965 onwards it gets a bit trickier.

I know Everett typically says things like "Lennon was playing his Casino, with Harrison on the Jumbo". The glossary in the back of the books say more about these instruments, and I'd like to do something similar – whenever a 325 is mentioned, for example, I can link through to a relevant page on it. It'll all take time but would be worth it.

I'm not sure it was mostly guesswork in Everett's case, though some of it probably was. It's known, for example, that The Beatles were given Stratocasters in 1965, and the bright tones can be heard on songs like Nowhere Man. The best source for this is probably Andy Babiuk's Beatles Gear book (http://www.beatlesfabgear.com/). Here's another site, though it only really has info on amplifiers at the moment: http://www.beatlesgear.com/index2.html

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

3 March 2010
5.26pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

Joe said:

 The best source for this is probably Andy Babiuk's Beatles Gear book (http://www.beatlesfabgear.com/). 


 

This book is fantastic!

I actually love reading up and doing this kind of thing, so given time I'm happy to write up about the guitars.

 

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
3 March 2010
10.02pm
Marcelo
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 487
Member Since:
27 February 2010
Offline
10

Joe said:

What I'd like to do eventually is have a proper list of instruments played for each song. So, whereas now it might say John Lennon: vocals, electric guitar, tambourine, it might say vocals, Rickenbacker 325 electric guitar, tambourine. It's a nerdy thing and most won't care, but I'd love to have that much detail.


That kind of details would be very nice from you, Joe, I'll love them.

 

Speaking of instruments, putting aside the classic Hofner and the Rikenbaker that we saw in "Sgt. Pepper" and "All You Need Is Love", did Paul used another basses?

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition. John Lennon
4 March 2010
8.19am
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

Marcelo said:

Joe said:

What I'd like to do eventually is have a proper list of instruments played for each song. So, whereas now it might say John Lennon: vocals, electric guitar, tambourine, it might say vocals, Rickenbacker 325 electric guitar, tambourine. It's a nerdy thing and most won't care, but I'd love to have that much detail.


That kind of details would be very nice from you, Joe, I'll love them.

 

 

Speaking of instruments, putting aside the classic Hofner and the Rikenbaker that we saw in "Sgt. Pepper" and "All You Need Is Love", did Paul used another basses?


 

There was a left-handed Burns bass around the White Album time, but it seemed to disappear as quickly as it appeared – so to speak!

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
1 February 2011
2.58am
Lets pretend we just cant see her face
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
1 February 2011
Offline
When are you free to take some tea with me?
1 February 2011
5.35am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
13

Wow having these details in Revolver's Beatles Bible section would be fantastic! I love that album and I'd love to listen paying attention to those details... Thank you guys.. I'm checking that section as soon as I have time. (please real life leave me alone!!!)

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: C.R.A., Oudis
40 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9869

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5193

Ahhh Girl: 5133

mithveaen: 4651

Annadog40: 4290

Zig: 4198

Mr. Kite: 3793

Ron Nasty: 3092

fabfouremily: 2931

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2627

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3160

Posts: 135910

Newest Members: damianosito1984, Bigbeat, edbeatle, the57thbeatle

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5133, meanmistermustard: 9869, Zig: 4198, Joe: 3462

Administrators: Joe: 3462, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: YouLoseAndIWin