Penny Lane - How Many Trumpet Overdubs? | Recording and musicology | Fab forum

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Penny Lane - How Many Trumpet Overdubs?
14 February 2011
2.40am
danielcelano
The Kaiserkeller
Forum Posts: 47
Member Since:
19 November 2010
Offline

Can you guys tell me how many trumpet overdubs of Penny Lane recorded?

14 February 2011
12.14pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

Check Joe's Article on it. He'll say there, most likely.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
14 February 2011
3.32pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3205
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

I don't have time to look right now, but search for 'Penny Lane' in the history section and you'll most likely find it there.

I'm not sure starting new threads for these sorts of very specific questions (cf your q about the early mix of I Am The Walrus) is really helpful – it clogs up the forum a little. Can you start a more general one if you have any more, unless it really warrants a wide discussion?

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

15 February 2011
11.14pm
danielcelano
The Kaiserkeller
Forum Posts: 47
Member Since:
19 November 2010
Offline

Joe said:

I don't have time to look right now, but search for 'Penny Lane' in the history section and you'll most likely find it there.

I'm not sure starting new threads for these sorts of very specific questions (cf your q about the early mix of I Am The Walrus) is really helpful – it clogs up the forum a little. Can you start a more general one if you have any more, unless it really warrants a wide discussion?


I think I have an idea.

 

Mason recorded two overdubs, the solo, and the flourish towards the
song's close which appeared on early US pressings of the single (and
later on Anthology 2). And with that, recording on Penny Lane was complete.

 

Tell me, Joe. What do the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single with trumpet ending look like?

15 February 2011
11.16pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

danielcelano said:


Tell me, Joe. What do the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single with trumpet ending look like?

http://www.fab4collectibles.co…..neHOME.jpg

Look at the above link. It has, what I think at least, a picture of what you want. 


I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
16 February 2011
4.57pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3205
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

As I've said elsewhere, I don't know that much about pressings in different countries, nor to I have time to research them. This site's mainly about the music and history – I can't do everything.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

16 February 2011
11.01pm
danielcelano
The Kaiserkeller
Forum Posts: 47
Member Since:
19 November 2010
Offline

mr. Sun king coming together said:

danielcelano said:

Tell me, Joe. What do the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single with trumpet ending look like?

http://www.fab4collectibles.co…..neHOME.jpg

Look at the above link. It has, what I think at least, a picture of what you want. 



I know one place where the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single were sent out. But first, I'll show you something.

 

Three mono mixes, numbered 9-11, were created immediately after Mason's
contributions were complete. The last of these was deemed to be the
best, and was copied and sent to Capitol Records in the US. This was
pressed onto promotional discs which were sent to radio stations.

16 February 2011
11.04pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

danielcelano said:

mr. Sun king coming together said:

danielcelano said:

 



 

Tell me, Joe. What do the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single with trumpet ending look like?

http://www.fab4collectibles.co…..neHOME.jpg

Look at the above link. It has, what I think at least, a picture of what you want. 



I know one place where the early US pressings of the Penny Lane single were sent out. But first, I'll show you something.
 

Three mono mixes, numbered 9-11, were created immediately after Mason's

contributions were complete. The last of these was deemed to be the

best, and was copied and sent to Capitol Records in the US. This was

pressed onto promotional discs which were sent to radio stations.


I know that. Reading the articles on this site will teach you things like that.

 

*17*

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
18 February 2011
4.50am
danielcelano
The Kaiserkeller
Forum Posts: 47
Member Since:
19 November 2010
Offline

Oh, I almost forgot. According to Amazon user named DiggityDib, a day when Penny Lane American promo copies were sent to radio stations was never mentioned. Right, guys?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Ahhh Girl, BeatleManiacKane, AbbeyRoadRage
106 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today None
Upcoming Ahhh Girl

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 7161

mr. Sun king coming together: 6972

mithveaen: 4678

parlance: 3629

MeanMrsMustard: 2803

Ron Nasty: 2517

skye: 2295

IveJustSeenAFaceo: 1903

LongHairedLady: 1891

Von Bontee: 1812

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2331

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 33

Topics: 3060

Posts: 109737

Newest Members: primadonna paul, Simple Press, Kattatude, El Dorado, imtheTaxman

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (3309), fabfouremily (2941), Zig (3294), Joe (3205), Ellie (1)

Administrators: Joe (3205)