Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Sir Paul to end London 2012 opening ceremony
3 August 2012
7.16pm
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 522
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

mr. Sun king coming together said
I feel bad for Paul – he has to take shit from people who say “if Paul doesn’t do Imagine “, take the shit from people who would get mad at him for playing Imagine , the shit from people who say “he’s done, retire”, the shit from people who say he should play something obscure… Enough. Let Paul make his decisions how he wants to. I don’t care what Paul plays if he plays again. I don’t care if he plays again, really. He gave a great performance, and it’s still not enough, even for people here, apparently. Let Paul do what Paul wants to do. It should be what songs does Paul want to perform, not what he thinks will get less fan irritation. I can guarantee you this will be the Daily Mail headline if McCartney plays Imagine : “McCartney plays John’s masterpiece – out of material of your own?” His own fans won’t let him win. Stop.

Amen! I saw a story where he wrote a letter to get an elephant released from captivity…reaction? Why doesn’t he just buy it himself? He visited Whitney Houston’s memorial site…he’s just looking for attention. And it goes on and on. Some people are never happy.

I want Paul to do what Paul wants…but it probably would be an extraordinarily bad idea for him to sing Imagine .

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?"

John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth

3 August 2012
9.05pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444

Hey, if Paul’s fans on a Beatles fansite don’t have the right to speculate about what he should or shouldn’t do, then who does? :)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

3 August 2012
9.20pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 But that’s not what we’re doing – we’re saying he better play Imagine , or else I’ll be very disappointed, or he ought to, if he’s to play a Lennon song, play a Beatles song John wrote. Or, for a full quote (Emphasis mine): A John-written Beatles song maybe, but definitely not something iconic like “Imagine “.

We shouldn’t think that musicians must do anything. And that’s what this amounts to.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

3 August 2012
10.13pm
Long John Silver
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 364

Not sure what’s your problem, and don’t really care. I would like for him to sing it, and it is iconic song but that doesn’t mean he can’t sing it? Lady Gaga covered it for crying out loud. Justin Bieber covered Let It Be , now that is a ruining of iconic song. As for press, I think he doesn’t even care that much as anything he do would get negative press in Daily Mail anyhow. We just speculate, discuss, that’s why we are here.

mithveaen said 

ahdn_paul_06 Mhh how about Paul singing How do you sleep? That would be funa-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

3 August 2012
11.18pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24960

It’s all immaterial anyway as he won’t. It’s not his type of song – and thats not saying that he cant or shouldnt. He might join in with other artists it however, one of a great swarm of folks onstage.
Paul gave up reading reviews, both positive and negative, years ag, the only people who get riled by them are his fans.

I did read a story that mentioned that Paul didn’t get the choice of what to sing at the opening ceremony, not that I can ever see that being the case. Almost certainly garbage. Would anyone dare.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 August 2012
11.40pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 But that’s not what we’re doing – we’re saying he better play Imagine , or else I’ll be very disappointed, or he ought to, if he’s to play a Lennon song, play a Beatles song John wrote. Or, for a full quote (Emphasis mine): A John-written Beatles song maybe, but definitely not something iconic like “Imagine “.

We shouldn’t think that musicians must do anything. And that’s what this amounts to.

We can think whatever we wish – it’s not as though they have any moral obligation to obey us! And that includes offering our own opinions based on not wishing to see them in a bad light. I personally REALLY don’t wish for Paul to sing “Imagine “, for reasons of my own. Irrational reasons they may be. You’re free to disagree.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

4 August 2012
1.37am
Long John Silver
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 364

Exactly, and what’s with this “shit” that Paul is taking from us? The only thing Paul is getting from members of this board is probably money for buying his music, tickets etc… I don’t think he needs anyone to defend him, he is in showbiz for over 50 years, I think he knows how to handle it. Some would love for him to sing, some not. I said I would be disappointed because I would love for him to sing it as it was covered by many singers (good and bad) but not by his best friend. Mostly here disagree, and that’s fine, we share our opinions, but no need for flaming.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

4 August 2012
2.17am
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 If you think this is flaming, it most certainly isn’t. That would require anger without reasonable cause. I believe I have reasonable cause. 

vonbontee said 

We can think whatever we wish – it’s not as though they have any moral obligation to obey us!

My objection to your quote is not that you think playing Imagine would be a very bad decision – I agree. But to say it in a definitive way – which But definitely not is – takes it from a wish to needing appeasement. (I’m truly struggling to get this across in a proper way.)

We treat musicians as statutory services, as needs as opposed to wants. I’m guilty of this at times. But I think it should be “Oh. I think it’d be a horrible idea for Paul to play Imagine “, or “I really hope Paul plays Imagine “, because then it doesn’t come across as a need, but a want. Which is what I think it should be. 

Long John Silver said
I said I would be disappointed because I would love for him to sing it as it was covered by many singers (good and bad) but not by his best friend. 

Which is a valid reason to want him to play the song. But to state you will be disappointed if  he doesn’t play it means you need to be appeased through a performance of that song. And that’s shit. I’m guilty of it sometimes, but I believe it makes music better when you realise it’s truly a gift, and not owed to you. 

4 August 2012
8.34am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

There’s no need to argue over this. Some people would like him to play it, others don’t want him to. People have different opinions. At the end of the day, our opinions are irrelevant because we don’t have a say in what he sings anyway.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 August 2012
5.54pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

We treat musicians as statutory services, as needs as opposed to wants. I’m guilty of this at times. But I think it should be “Oh. I think it’d be a horrible idea for Paul to play Imagine “, or “I really hope Paul plays Imagine “, because then it doesn’t come across as a need, but a want. Which is what I think it should be.

He doesn’t have to say “I think”, it really makes no difference. It’s implied that it’s his opinion because he is the one saying it.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

4 August 2012
7.15pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Not a believer in the whole “i think….”, its a forum where it should be taken as opinion on the main. Just be prepared for disagreements and dont take it personally or to heart.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 August 2012
7.33pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members

Fine. Still doesn’t change the fact that we shouldn’t be expecting anything from McCartney.

4 August 2012
7.45pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Indeed so but we are fans and we do. I get disapointed that he wont change his concert setlist. Would love to see him doing different solo songs, especially some of the more obscure tracks – tho i do understand why he doesnt. I was not that thrilled coming away from one of Ringo’s concerts, i expected more than i got – like not walking off during the last group track and that being it – curtains up, lights on, go home.

4 August 2012
8.13pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

I read an interview with Paul not so long ago where he was asked if he got sick of playing old songs all the time. He said something along the lines of (and I totally paraphrase), “If I go and see a band, I want them to play the hits. I don’t like it when they perform solely for themselves – it feels arrogant. That’s why I always play the Beatles songs.” I think he mentioned Radiohead (“It’s OK for them but it’s not what I’m about”) but I might have imagined it.

While I absolutely love him for not coming on stage and doing Kisses On The Bottom followed by an encore from Ocean’s Kingdom , if he wants to give the fans what they want he’d vary his set way more than he does – every fan forum seems to want the same thing. He’s got such an amazing back catalogue that he could keep the same structure (eg Beatles song, Beatles song, Wings song, solo song, Beatles song etc) but play a different set every night.

That said, I know stadium tours tend to be quite rigid because of stage times, lighting and sound requirements and so on, never mind the requirements of the musicians having to remember 100+ songs rather than 30-odd. What I’d rather is that every new tour was almost completely different from the last, so On The Run featured a set of songs he didn’t do on the Up And Coming tour (with maybe a handful of the Must Perform songs done in both).

This is getting a bit off-topic though. What was the question?

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

4 August 2012
10.54pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Admist all this discussion personally i feel the big song at the closing ceremony should be All You Need Is Love and not Imagine . The theme and the overall message is perfect for the games, everyone gets it, its such a simply song, people can join in, and the lyrics work: “nothing you can do that cant be done… Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be…”

Im also not sure that lyrics like “Imagine there’s no heaven, it’s easy if you try. No hell below us. above us only sky” and “no religion too” from Imagine would go down well with some Nations who have a very strong belief and identity in God . I get the peace message and its totally right but some Countries might be offended by those lines. 

Dont shoot me down just an opinion.

5 August 2012
3.27am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621

I totally agree with you Joe. I’d love him to sing.. I dunno… Love in Song  instead of Sing the changes. (the only frigging song I don’t like from the Fireman and that’s the one he sings) paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

And the question is which song he should do in the Closing ceremony. But he’s not going to play, is he??

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

5 August 2012
4.45pm
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 511

ahdn_paul_06Probably not, I mean, he’s playing in the Diamond jubilee, he’s playing in the opening ceremony, if he plays in the opening ceremony as well, it’s almost like there is no other musician in the UK than him 

If Imagine does get played in the closing ceremony, I highly doubt it will be Paul-only. More like, all the lights go off, it becomes dark and John’s voice comes from the speakers- “Imagine there’s no heaven, it’s easy if you try…” And when it comes to the chorus, the whole stadium will sing “You may say I’m a dreamer…” a-hard-days-night-john-6Talk about corny, though. It probably doesn’t get played, anyway, perhaps Elton does something

ps. anyone else noticed that in Horse Jumping there is an Abbey Road obstacle in it? With musical notes and stuff. I think it’s a brilliant idea, placing subtle Beatles hints everywhere

5 August 2012
11.10pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

So on the radio today, I heard that the crowd spontaneously sang “All You Need Is Love ” and that Macca joined in.

Anyone have info on that?

If it’s true, that should answer some of the questions/suggestions put forth on this thread.

[by the way Mith,  I happen to love “Sing the Changes” – I even thought he should have released it as a single. And I liked it even more when I heard it played live. I guess that’s what makes the world go ’round]

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

6 August 2012
1.04am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Yes its true, Beatles Examiner posted a report with details.

6 August 2012
11.17am
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 511
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 Noooooo, and I’ve been watching the Olympics for 24/7 ( ok, not quite), and why did I miss such a thing?? Life isn’t fair, all I’ve been seeing are picture of Sauli Niinistö sitting in the audience. Gawd. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timothy
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5517
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24960, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694