Sir Paul to end London 2012 opening ceremony | Page 3 | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Sir Paul to end London 2012 opening ceremony
No permission to create posts
30 July 2012
11.08pm
kedame
Miles above you
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 530
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

vonbontee said
I've never understood the point of these musicians playing their hit songs for these things. Wouldn't it be more appropriate if they wrote something entirely new, or at least played something relevent to the theme of athletic competition/doing the best you can, something of that sort? (Hey, Paul could've played "
Hi Hi Hi" and pretended it was an official theme for the high jumping events!)

Because there would be little magic for a name as big as Paul to sing something completely new. Someone like me would be ecstatic. Most of the people in the crowd would just wonder what they were hearing. For a show like this, it must be a song people know. Everyone knows Hey Jude, and if they don't, they can still sing "na na na na."

At these events, you sing what people know so they will sing with you. Everyone can be in harmony for just 4 minutes or so, singing a song they all know. I think there is magic in that. I would have loved something from Ram or even Flaming Pie. Hi Hi Hi would have been fun...but it would have just been Paul up there singing by himself. We solo Beatle fans must accept the fact that, in a crowd like that, people want to hear Beatles songs, not Paul McCartney solo songs. It's unfortunate for those of us who love Paul's music as much as Beatles music, but that's the way it is...I, for one, am completely okay with that. You can't have a ceremony about British history with a performance from one of the Beatles without him singing a Beatles song. It just wouldn't be done.

I'm with meanmistermustard on this one. Paul sounded good to me...as good as 1968? No. But good enough to represent an important part of history. And you know, I read some surprisingly positive (and predictably negative) things about Paul's hair on twitter. I think it's funny how some people get so caught up on his hair. It's just hair, folks. He doesn't look like Donald Trump, at least!

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?" John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth
31 July 2012
2.27am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17114

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8You have to play something everybody there knows, otherwise there would have been 80,000 in the stadium going "what the hell, give us some we can sing!". Tho the idea of Paul singing Hi Hi Hi is fabulous, imagine him singing "I'm gonna do it to you, gonna do ya sweet banana, you've never been done. Yes, like a rabbit, gonna grab it, gonna do it 'til the night is done.".a-hard-days-night-ringo-6 Brilliant.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
31 July 2012
2.29am
kedame
Miles above you
Candlestick Park

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8You have to play something everybody there knows, otherwise there would have been 80,000 in the stadium going "what the hell, give us some we can sing!". Tho the idea of Paul singing
Hi Hi Hi is fabulous, imagine him singing "I'm gonna do it to you, gonna do ya sweet banana, you've never been done. Yes, like a rabbit, gonna grab it, gonna do it 'til the night is done.".a-hard-days-night-ringo-6 Brilliant.

You know, this song sounds rather homoerotic. a-hard-days-night-ringo-4

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?" John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth
31 July 2012
10.10am
kedame
Miles above you
Candlestick Park

Sorry for the triple reply, but I just came across this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvs.....et-be.html

It's a doozy of an article with some really nasty comments. I hate to generate more traffic to the article, but this Paul fan needs some moral support right now. LOL.

I don't think I could have made it through the 70s. You guys are just lucky there was no internet.

Do any of you recall any articles like this, or this much vitriol, being written about any other bands/singers/musicians, or do Daily Mail readers reserve it all for Paul.

Geeze...it seems like he has had nothing but criticism since the band split, though I know that is not quite true. If they were just critiquing his recent performances, I could understand it a little. Maybe he should stop doing big tv gigs, but I feel he still has more to do and say before he retires. I just hate hearing all the comments about how he could never sing in the first place, or how John was the real talent in the band. When will these people understand that John needed Paul, and Paul needed John.

Ergh...I need to stay off the net tomorrow (later today, really). I'm getting cabin fever at home by myself all day!

1 August 2012
1.40am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1535

Kedame said, "Do any of you recall any articles like this, or this much vitriol, being written about any other bands/singers/musicians"

The answer is "no"

It hasn't always been bad: Band On The Run was album of the year around '75 and Rolling Stone gave Tug Of War 5 stars.

But by and large, yes, at least in the U.S. the press was been merciless for 20 years or so from the early 70s on.

During the extraordinary Flowers In The Dirt tour, one American paper blared, "BLAND ON THE RUN"

Having said that ... Sir Paul had a hand in this:

- many of his 70s hits were on the maudlin side. He picked up a whole new fan base (much to his credit) but lost much of his original base. [Ask Americans between the age of 50 and 70 what they think of the post-Beatle Macca and you're likely to hear "fluff"].

- After the Beatle break-up, Paul the ultimate musician and perfectionist put the antithesis of all this right in his band: his wife, the photographer. Stood her up at this silly little keyboard during concerts (was it even plugged in?).

The net result is that much of the public stopped taking Paul seriously anymore. And then it spilled over into the 80s and 90s.

This is of course unfortunate since he wrote so much good stuff.

As terrible as it is to say, the death of Linda was a good career move for Paul.

Linda was no longer a distraction; critics might have actually felt sorry for Paul; and he stopped releasing most of what could be considered maudlin. Since Linda's passing, the press here I'd say has been fair.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)
1 August 2012
9.05pm
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2810

Yeah, I started reading (some) music criticism in '79, and right from the start I became aware of a general consensus critical dislike of Paul McCartney. And from that time until I stopped paying attention (after "Flowers In The Dirt") the only generally good reviews I saw were for "Tug Of War".

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

1 August 2012
9.44pm
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2810

Very bizarre indeed! Elton* is usually a staple of these ceremonial sort of things, isn't he?. I'd say that maybe the powers-that-be were trying to deliberately narrow the focus to specifically LONDON-associated acts (which would make sense), except - you know, Paul McCartney, Liverpudlian. Curious...

(*Yeah yeah, "Sir" Elton, "Sir" Paul...obviously I don't subscribe to this silliness. I'm waiting until the day when I get to type "Sir Lemmy Kilmister"!)

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Necko, pepperland, Annadog40, Merch, Silly Girl, Beatles007
59 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17114

Ahhh Girl: 10713

Annadog40: 9675

Zig: 7531

parlance: 7092