Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Sir Paul to end London 2012 opening ceremony
30 July 2012
11.08pm
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 522
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

vonbontee said
I’ve never understood the point of these musicians playing their hit songs for these things. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate if they wrote something entirely new, or at least played something relevent to the theme of athletic competition/doing the best you can, something of that sort? (Hey, Paul could’ve played “Hi Hi Hi ” and pretended it was an official theme for the high jumping events!)

Because there would be little magic for a name as big as Paul to sing something completely new. Someone like me would be ecstatic. Most of the people in the crowd would just wonder what they were hearing. For a show like this, it must be a song people know. Everyone knows Hey Jude , and if they don’t, they can still sing “na na na na.”

At these events, you sing what people know so they will sing with you. Everyone can be in harmony for just 4 minutes or so, singing a song they all know. I think there is magic in that. I would have loved something from Ram or even Flaming Pie . Hi Hi Hi would have been fun…but it would have just been Paul up there singing by himself. We solo Beatle fans must accept the fact that, in a crowd like that, people want to hear Beatles songs, not Paul McCartney solo songs. It’s unfortunate for those of us who love Paul’s music as much as Beatles music, but that’s the way it is…I, for one, am completely okay with that. You can’t have a ceremony about British history with a performance from one of the Beatles without him singing a Beatles song. It just wouldn’t be done.

I’m with meanmistermustard on this one. Paul sounded good to me…as good as 1968? No. But good enough to represent an important part of history. And you know, I read some surprisingly positive (and predictably negative) things about Paul’s hair on twitter. I think it’s funny how some people get so caught up on his hair. It’s just hair, folks. He doesn’t look like Donald Trump, at least!

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?"

John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth

31 July 2012
1.47am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Kedame said, “I think it’s funny how some people get so caught up on his hair.”

Well heck, Paul (with a little help from his friends) INVENTED hair – so yeah, people will be paying attention!!!

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

31 July 2012
2.27am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24960

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8You have to play something everybody there knows, otherwise there would have been 80,000 in the stadium going “what the hell, give us some we can sing!”. Tho the idea of Paul singing Hi Hi Hi is fabulous, imagine him singing “I’m gonna do it to you, gonna do ya sweet banana, you’ve never been done. Yes, like a rabbit, gonna grab it, gonna do it ’til the night is done.”.a-hard-days-night-ringo-6 Brilliant.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 July 2012
2.27am
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members

Haha! I’ve never really thought of it like that!

31 July 2012
2.29am
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8You have to play something everybody there knows, otherwise there would have been 80,000 in the stadium going “what the hell, give us some we can sing!”. Tho the idea of Paul singing Hi Hi Hi is fabulous, imagine him singing “I’m gonna do it to you, gonna do ya sweet banana, you’ve never been done. Yes, like a rabbit, gonna grab it, gonna do it ’til the night is done.”.a-hard-days-night-ringo-6 Brilliant.

You know, this song sounds rather homoerotic. a-hard-days-night-ringo-4

31 July 2012
10.10am
kedame
Miles above you
Carnegie Hall
Members

Sorry for the triple reply, but I just came across this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvs…..et-be.html

It’s a doozy of an article with some really nasty comments. I hate to generate more traffic to the article, but this Paul fan needs some moral support right now. LOL.

I don’t think I could have made it through the 70s. You guys are just lucky there was no internet.

Do any of you recall any articles like this, or this much vitriol, being written about any other bands/singers/musicians, or do Daily Mail readers reserve it all for Paul.

Geeze…it seems like he has had nothing but criticism since the band split, though I know that is not quite true. If they were just critiquing his recent performances, I could understand it a little. Maybe he should stop doing big tv gigs, but I feel he still has more to do and say before he retires. I just hate hearing all the comments about how he could never sing in the first place, or how John was the real talent in the band. When will these people understand that John needed Paul, and Paul needed John.

Ergh…I need to stay off the net tomorrow (later today, really). I’m getting cabin fever at home by myself all day!

31 July 2012
10.28am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

That article is a bit unfair. No he doesn’t sound like he did when he was with The Beatles, simply because he was young then and now, he is not. And I think the microphone not working didn’t really help his overall perfomance either, same as at the Jubilee concert, it didn’t work that night either (his nor anybody elses by the sound of it). I think that she should take a break for a while Now And Then come back in a few months time and remind us of why we have loved him so much ever since he was 20. I still love you Paul.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

31 July 2012
2.49pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

What are these people expecting him to do? He’s seventy years old! I thought he sounded pretty good, especially considering his age.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

31 July 2012
5.43pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

Definitely, I suppose there are some people who still expect him to be able to belt out tunes perfectly.They should be more realistic, he’s never going to be that good again. Doesn’t mean he is not good though.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

31 July 2012
7.15pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I gave up reading that review. I doubt Paul cares in the slightest about reviews and i cant bring myself too either. As long as people go to see him and have a good time and he’s enjoying he will continue and rightly so. Screw those who say otherwise. Is anyone going to look back at his career and think “could have been a wonderful magical career but he ruined it with those last few years?” If they do then they are sad little people who are badly blinded.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 July 2012
7.23pm
minime
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 511

Yeah, I agree with you. I hate it when people put down others who have had a remarkable career when they show the slightest sign of “stumbling”. As if they owe something to those who criticize them. I think Paul should continue his singing and playing for as long as he wants to; it’s clear Paul still enjoys the public attention very much. It’s the same with athletes, as well; if Phelps doesn’t win 3 gold medals suddenly it’s a huge scandal. What rubbish

31 July 2012
11.59pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444

I didn’t bother to read the article – I get the general impression that it’d be mean-spirited. Me personally, I’m as distressed as anybody by Paul’s diminishing voice – that’s why I don’t make it a point to watch his present-day performances – but it’s a fact of life, and I don’t see why anybody should begrudge it. Paul just plain loves to perform, and he’ll be doing it until he’s 80, probably! Whether anybody wants to watch him or not. What’s so wrong about that?

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

1 August 2012
1.40am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Kedame said, “Do any of you recall any articles like this, or this much vitriol, being written about any other bands/singers/musicians”

The answer is “no”

It hasn’t always been bad: Band On The Run was album of the year around ’75 and Rolling Stone gave Tug Of War 5 stars.

But by and large, yes, at least in the U.S. the press was been merciless for 20 years or so from the early 70s on.

During the extraordinary Flowers In The Dirt tour, one American paper blared, “BLAND ON THE RUN”

Having said that … Sir Paul had a hand in this:

– many of his 70s hits were on the maudlin side. He picked up a whole new fan base (much to his credit) but lost much of his original base. [Ask Americans between the age of 50 and 70 what they think of the post-Beatle Macca and you’re likely to hear “fluff”].

– After the Beatle break-up, Paul the ultimate musician and perfectionist put the antithesis of all this right in his band: his wife, the photographer. Stood her up at this silly little keyboard during concerts (was it even plugged in?).

The net result is that much of the public stopped taking Paul seriously anymore. And then it spilled over into the 80s and 90s.

This is of course unfortunate since he wrote so much good stuff.

As terrible as it is to say, the death of Linda was a good career move for Paul.

Linda was no longer a distraction; critics might have actually felt sorry for Paul; and he stopped releasing most of what could be considered maudlin. Since Linda’s passing, the press here I’d say has been fair.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

1 August 2012
9.05pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Yeah, I started reading (some) music criticism in ’79, and right from the start I became aware of a general consensus critical dislike of Paul McCartney . And from that time until I stopped paying attention (after “Flowers In The Dirt “) the only generally good reviews I saw were for “Tug Of War “.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

1 August 2012
9.11pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

I was out of town last weekend and only caught glimpses of the opening ceremony – I did record it but haven’t watched the whole thing yet.

Before the march of nations, they had a segment where they featured British rock acts throughout the decades. I saw/heard tidbits from the Fabs, The Kinks, The Who, etc…

Is it just me or was Sir Elton John’s music conspicuously absent? Did he pee on the lawn of Buckingham Palace and this was his punishment?

Color me confused.a-hard-days-night-ringo-7Thoughts?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

1 August 2012
9.44pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Very bizarre indeed! Elton* is usually a staple of these ceremonial sort of things, isn’t he?. I’d say that maybe the powers-that-be were trying to deliberately narrow the focus to specifically LONDON-associated acts (which would make sense), except – you know, Paul McCartney , Liverpudlian. Curious…

(*Yeah yeah, “Sir” Elton, “Sir” Paul…obviously I don’t subscribe to this silliness. I’m waiting until the day when I get to type “Sir Lemmy Kilmister”!)

offtopic-1.png

1 August 2012
10.19pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Maybe Elton is the surprise star of the Closing Ceremony or maybe he wasnt invited to perfrom so refused to sanction the playing of his music. He is known for moments of extreme pettiness and over the top reactions to the smallest issues.

He really didnt have 1 song featured, that is very strange since he is one of Britain most successful artists.

1 August 2012
10.44pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Bizarrely, Sir Elton’s playing a concert in modest little Sarnia, Ontario (where my mother lives) in a month or so. The local hockey arena has a max. capacity of 5500 people. Surely he could fill a venue of several times that size if he chose to play in Detroit or Toronto, both metropolises being less than 200km away.

offtopic-1.png

2 August 2012
12.15pm
...ontherun
Massachusetts
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 187

I thought Paul was outstanding. Period. As to Elton… Is it too far fetched to think the Queen herself would have had a hand? She is not known to have been a fan of Diana who was so very close to Elton. Just a thought.

A square is not a square when the sides are less than four...

2 August 2012
12.55pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613

…ontherun said
I thought Paul was outstanding. Period. As to Elton… Is it too far fetched to think the Queen herself would have had a hand? She is not known to have been a fan of Diana who was so very close to Elton. Just a thought.

He played at her Jubilee concert though.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24960, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694