Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1972 FBI
12 February 2014
1.49pm
derek
The Indra
Members
Forum Posts: 43
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

i am familier with the story how the Nixon Administration tried to boot John out of the country saying that he was a “danger to national security” they started to “bug” him and all of his accosites and friends. i would assume even Paul, George and Ringo. when Paul first banded Wings in December of ’71, he wanted to tour, but he left America out at that time. was that one of the reasons why he stayed out of the U.S. at that time, because he knew it would not be safe? And the Paul did not tour the U.S. until 1976…the same year John finaly got his green card. I’m also wondrering Paul (or George or Ringo) was ever “bugged” by Nixon in 1972. and if Paul and the other 2 were also considered “threats” by Nixon. I’m sure Paul probely got in trouble for the song “Give Ireland Back To The Irish” just as John did for “the Luck of The Irish”, BOTH released in 1972. (But mostly “John Sinclaire” caused John (Lennon) the most trouble)

12 February 2014
2.50pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456

I’m not sure whether or not Nixon really gave a damn about struggles between Ireland and Great Britain, actually. And I would bet that Paul’s refusal to tour until ’76 had more to do with him wanting to assemble a stable band, proper setlist, and big-time light-show, all things that he was doing for the first time, really.

It was really only John who was consorting with hardcore left-wing activists, so I doubt that the other three were on the radar. But I could be wrong – Nixon was pretty paranoid!

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

12 February 2014
4.51pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

There’s really not a whole lot to go on, much of the evidence is classified/disposed of.  It’s pretty clear though that someone with considerable political pull had it in for him.  Ringo makes a strange remark on the ‘Anthology’ about Elvis “being big with the CIA and everything” which I always thought was a reference to this turbulent ‘Nixon Period’ as well.  David Peel was one of John’s associates (and an Apple signing) during this period and goes into the subject a little bit here:

I found his claim that the FBI mistook him for John Lennon and had mistakingly put his picture on John’s FBI file kinda interesting, for I don’t believe for one second that the Bureau would make such a blunder unless it was to hide the real file on John, interesting subject indeed…:-)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694