Naked for You? | Let It Be | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Naked for You?
19 September 2009
10.52pm
Jackson Tan
Guest

I was wondering what is the preference amongst Beatles fans regarding the Let It Be album, whether you prefer the original one produced by Phil Spector, or the one produced in the direction of Paul McCartney, Let It Be... Naked.

There isn't much difference for most of the songs, but The Long And Winding Road had a huge makeover. It seems to me that the Naked version made that song more light-hearted than the heavy, drooping (mood-wise) string ensemble in the original.

What about you? Naked or not? Or both are par excellence?

20 September 2009
11.07am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3465
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

I used to prefer the fidelity of ...Naked, as the sound quality was much better. But since the remasters came out I'm not so sure. I generally dislike the tinkering that was done - it seems unnecessary, like McCartney was trying to win a 30-year-old grudge match. It also reminds me a little of how George Lucas can't resist messing around with the original Star Wars trilogy, not realising that people simply like it for what it is.

Personally, I'd have issued the warts-and-all Glyn Johns recordings, but not called it Let It Be... Naked, which was a rubbish title. Call it Get Back, have the "with Let It Be and 11 other songs" message on the cover, and use the photo that eventually appeared on the Blue 67-70 compilation. That would have done nicely, thanks.

As for The Long And Boring Song, it was odd of Spector to select that recording, as it's full of mistakes. Lennon's bass guitar, in particular, is all over the place. The Beatles recorded it loads of times in January 1969, and he could surely have found a better version. Isn't the theory that he plastered it with strings to mask the shortcomings of the backing track?

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

3 December 2009
4.17am
Alissa
Find me in my field of grass
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 401
Member Since:
21 August 2009
Offline

I have to say I much prefer ...Naked than Spector's version; it all seems so unnecessary. Plus, I love the rawness of naked. Its unselfconsciousness. It's like the boys when they first met and they were about the music, not nesessarily all the effects and ways to jazz up the music. It was just plain good.

Mind you, neither of the Let it Be's are my favourite albums. They were fading, and fast, at this point, but if anything, the dramatic take and extra instruments, all those strings (even though I play the cello myself) seemed like overkill to simple songs that were beautiful before adding a whole bunch of extra baggage onto it.

I disagree with you though, Joe, on the title. I think it has the ultimate suggestion entailed- that it's just them, purely them before inevitably leaving eachother for good. Though, I'm not a fan of the cover art, and it would be nice to have used the title Get Back somewhere in their career other than purely for the song, that's for sure!

Tongue, lose thy light. Moon, take thy flight… see ya, George!
4 December 2009
5.59am
c64wood
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230
Member Since:
4 September 2009
Offline

Since the Get Back / Let It Be sessions were to be the group getting back to their roots as a band without the extensive overdubs and lavish strings, I prefer the Naked version.  Whether or not it was McCartney finally getting his way, I feel that this was what the group had in mind to be released.  Maybe the track listing may have been different, I dunno.

I do have the Spector version on my play list since is was the "official" release du jour.  On occasion, I play the Naked version just to mix it up.

I know you know what you know, but you should know by now that you're not me ~ Ron Nasty
26 January 2010
10.50am
PaulRamon
Liverpool
The Star-Club
Forum Posts: 66
Member Since:
26 January 2010
Offline

I have to agree with Joe. I think McCartney did the whole naked thing just so he could remix The Long And Winding Road. I don't get the impression anything else bothered him as much as that. When i was growing up and didn't know anything about what Phil Spector had done to this album, i really liked it and for all the faults that i have since learned about it, i still prefer to listen to the original version i grew up with than Naked. I listened to Naked a couple of times after i bought it but its not the version i have on my MP3 now. I think Let  it Be naked was a pretty unnecessary release.   

Onward my friends, and glory for the thirty ninth!!
26 January 2010
12.23pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3465
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

Let's not forget how McCartney ruined TLAWR with a dismal easy-listening version with saxophone intro on Give My Regards To Broad Street. A choir and orchestra obviously wasn't out of the question for him and George Martin (who produced and arranged it) that time.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

30 January 2010
2.18pm
PaulRamon
Liverpool
The Star-Club
Forum Posts: 66
Member Since:
26 January 2010
Offline

Joe said:Let's not forget how McCartney ruined TLAWR with a dismal easy-listening version with saxophone intro on Give My Regards To Broad Street. A choir and orchestra obviously wasn't out of the question for him and George Martin (who produced and arranged it) that time.


I'd forgotten all about that. That saxophone was shocking! I think Sir Paul had forgotten about it too when he started Let It Be Naked! I must have blocked that out but i think i'll have nightmares about that version now. So cheesy

Onward my friends, and glory for the thirty ninth!!
30 January 2010
3.39pm
mjb
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 536
Member Since:
14 October 2009
Offline

I know this should really be on the thread about over-rated songs, but The Long and Winding Raod is one of those to me.  I don't dislike it, but I find the Spector version false and the Naked version more like a rehearsal. We need an in-betweeny Wink

"If we feel our heads starting to swell.....we just look at Ringo!"
8 June 2010
3.10pm
Happy Nat
USA
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 166
Member Since:
27 April 2010
Offline

Joe said:

I used to prefer the fidelity of ...Naked, as the sound quality was much better. But since the remasters came out I'm not so sure. I generally dislike the tinkering that was done - it seems unnecessary, like McCartney was trying to win a 30-year-old grudge match. It also reminds me a little of how George Lucas can't resist messing around with the original Star Wars trilogy, not realising that people simply like it for what it is.

Personally, I'd have issued the warts-and-all Glyn Johns recordings, but not called it Let It Be... Naked, which was a rubbish title. Call it Get Back, have the "with Let It Be and 11 other songs" message on the cover, and use the photo that eventually appeared on the Blue 67-70 compilation. That would have done nicely, thanks.

As for The Long And Boring Song, it was odd of Spector to select that recording, as it's full of mistakes. Lennon's bass guitar, in particular, is all over the place. The Beatles recorded it loads of times in January 1969, and he could surely have found a better version. Isn't the theory that he plastered it with strings to mask the shortcomings of the backing track?


 

Joe said:

I used to prefer the fidelity of ...Naked, as the sound quality was much better. But since the remasters came out I'm not so sure. I generally dislike the tinkering that was done - it seems unnecessary, like McCartney was trying to win a 30-year-old grudge match. It also reminds me a little of how George Lucas can't resist messing around with the original Star Wars trilogy, not realising that people simply like it for what it is.

Personally, I'd have issued the warts-and-all Glyn Johns recordings, but not called it Let It Be... Naked, which was a rubbish title. Call it Get Back, have the "with Let It Be and 11 other songs" message on the cover, and use the photo that eventually appeared on the Blue 67-70 compilation. That would have done nicely, thanks.

As for The Long And Boring Song, it was odd of Spector to select that recording, as it's full of mistakes. Lennon's bass guitar, in particular, is all over the place. The Beatles recorded it loads of times in January 1969, and he could surely have found a better version. Isn't the theory that he plastered it with strings to mask the shortcomings of the backing track?


 

Agreed wholeheartedly Joe!

Bringing you the best and worst of The Beatles, since 2007.
8 June 2010
3.53pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline

Joe said:

Let's not forget how McCartney ruined TLAWR with a dismal easy-listening version with saxophone intro on Give My Regards To Broad Street. A choir and orchestra obviously wasn't out of the question for him and George Martin (who produced and arranged it) that time.


 

*watching video in youtube* Eeeeckkkkkkkkkk that's awful!!! But Paul looks so cute in that one that I guess I'll have to check that movie again..

I was saying in another thread (thanks Joe for showing me this one) that after going to the concert and getting the Good Evening New York DVD, I truly love this version. I might be still on the high of going to the concert. The piano sounds terrific, and the Spector arragement is there, but it's not all over the song. Paul's voice is not the same though.

 

PaulRamon said:

I have to agree with Joe. I think

McCartney did the whole naked thing just so he could remix The Long And Winding Road. I don't get the impression anything else bothered him as much as that. When i was growing up and didn't know anything about what Phil Spector had done to this album, i really liked it and for all the faults that i have since learned about it, i still prefer to listen to the original version i grew up with than Naked. I listened to Naked a couple of times after i bought it but its not the version i have on my MP3 now. I think Let  it Be naked was a pretty unnecessary release.   


 

Well for me, having Across The Universe without the damn Nature background and the "sleepy" John with the chorus from th original LiB is worth the price of Let It Be Naked

 

Don't you think that in the original LiB John's voice sounds as if he were too tired to sing that song?

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
8 June 2010
6.20pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2181
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline

Me, I'm one of the few who thinks the Spector version of "Universe" has its merits. I really like the way the strings fade in during the first chorus, although I wish the whole thing built up a bit more gradually, like if the choir didn't appear until the third chorus for example. Really, I love aspects of every version of that song (one of my top 5 Lennons for sure), even though the recording remains frustratingly imperfect. (I still can't believe there's drums in there somewhere)

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
8 June 2010
6.29pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1353
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
12

I think the addition of Don't Let Me Down and the complete improvement of Across The Universe makes Naked the easy choice for me, although I am a fan of the original Let It Be. If there was anything missing from the original album, it was a really good Lennon contribution and Naked helps this problem a little.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
8 June 2010
8.50pm
Addie_1899
Casbah Coffee Club
Forum Posts: 16
Member Since:
8 June 2010
Offline
13

I like both, really. Or rather, aspects of both. Some of the songs on the Spector version are great and perfect the way they are and I woulnd't change them. A few songs though such as Let It Be, Get Back, The Long And Winding Road  I like way better on the Let It Be.... Naked  album. It's nice to hear them just singing.... no other sounds or instruments or effects or whatever thrown in. While Let It Be  isn't my top Beatles album, it ranks pretty high up there for me. There is something about that album that I just really love.

4 October 2010
3.48am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
14

Spector got alot of crap for adding orchestra to 3 songs and picking a different solo
Let it Be is the one I would take to the desert island
Worst decision of Spector's: adding the orchestra to ATU and dropping Don't Let me Down
Best Decisions: keepingthe Danny Boy Ending to One After 909 and editing I Me Mine For lenght
Just for me

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
2 November 2010
7.49pm
alexbunardzic
Vancouver
Casbah Coffee Club
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
26 November 2009
Offline
15

Jackson Tan said:

I was wondering what is the preference amongst Beatles fans regarding the Let It Be album, whether you prefer the original one produced by Phil Spector, or the one produced in the direction of Paul McCartney, Let It Be... Naked.

 

There isn't much difference for most of the songs, but The Long And Winding Road had a huge makeover. It seems to me that the Naked version made that song more light-hearted than the heavy, drooping (mood-wise) string ensemble in the original.

 

What about you? Naked or not? Or both are par excellence?


I hugely prefer the 24 bit version of the 2009 remastered LIB. Sonically, it sounds way better. LIB Naked always sounded wrong to me. It's impossible dry, and the overall sound is too cold for my taste.

LIB remastered in 24 bit sounds nothing short of spectacular. The rawness and the energy of the best band in history is absolutely palpable.

Show me that I'm everywhere, and get me home for tea
11 December 2010
12.21am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
16

Joe said:

Let's not forget how McCartney ruined TLAWR with a dismal easy-listening version with saxophone intro on Give My Regards To Broad Street. A choir and orchestra obviously wasn't out of the question for him and George Martin (who produced and arranged it) that time.


Don`t Forget that was a soundtrack-specific recording, whereas the LIB take was for an Album
I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
14 December 2010
6.17pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2181
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
17

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Spector got alot of crap for adding orchestra to 3 songs and picking a different solo
Let it Be is the one I would take to the desert island
Worst decision of Spector's: adding the orchestra to ATU and dropping Don't Let me Down
Best Decisions: keepingthe Danny Boy Ending to One After 909 and editing I Me Mine For lenght
Just for me


Yeah, I agree with most of this. Ultimately, neither version is particularly satisfying for me personally. But I can never be fully satisfied, and probably don't even deserve to be, as long as my favourite track here ("Across The Universe") is one that just doesn't belong, to my way of thinking. (Ultimately, I'm not sure WHERE it belongs.) And "Old Brown Shoe" (and maybe "The Ballad of John & Yoko") would've been nice to include as well.
One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
14 December 2010
7.38pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1010
Member Since:
4 December 2010
Offline
18

I've asked for Let It Be... Naked! for Christmas (though I always say it "Let It Be Naked", which has made people think I'm a naturist). I prefer the Naked mixes of The Long And Winding Road and Let It Be, so I opted for that version. However, if I'm honest, they probably could have done with releasing only a double A-side single with the Naked versions of those tracks instead. AFAIK, McCartney only had an issue with those two tracks, so remixing the whole lot seems like a waste of time.

And I neeeeeeeeed her all the time
14 December 2010
10.22pm
Necko
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 860
Member Since:
11 November 2010
Offline
19

The title of this thread got me excited.

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.
29 May 2011
7.25pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
20

Sir Paul did something with Naked that was a first for Apple. Which is take an idea and make it happen swiftly. I still prefer Spector's version, although The Long And Winding Road's best version is on Anthology 3. Really, Let It Be should have included Don't Let Me Down, but really, Naked is an incorrect remedy to a trivial issue.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Sugarplum fairy
51 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9961

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5229

Ahhh Girl: 5219

mithveaen: 4651

Annadog40: 4357

Zig: 4223

Mr. Kite: 3856

Ron Nasty: 3106

fabfouremily: 2931

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2642

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3153

Posts: 136442

Newest Members: pocaloc, McBeetles, Lucy in the Sky, btzgibbonclyd, PostNoBills

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5219, meanmistermustard: 9961, Zig: 4223, Joe: 3465

Administrators: Joe: 3465, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: YouKnowMyName, BobGreaves
Upcoming: None