Janis Joplin's Happy Birthday Message for John Fall 1970 | John Lennon | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Janis Joplin's Happy Birthday Message for John Fall 1970
6 April 2014
8.36pm
Billy Rhythm
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 517

I know that Janis Joplin isn't for everyone, but I've always held her in the highest regard and some of her material belongs way up there amongst the All-Time Greats, in my opinion.  Of course the tragedy in which how her life ended far too often overshadows the brilliance, and above all, the passion in which she delivered her outstanding performances, whether on stage or in the studio.

One thing that some of you may not be familiar with is that John Lennon received a recording of Janis Joplin wishing him a Happy Birthday for his 30th on October 9, 1970, 5 days after Janis tragically died on October 4th of the same year.  First, here's John talking about it on the Dick Cavett Show the following year, skip ahead to the  1:03:53  mark to hear his comments:

Now, here's the recording that he mentions which was recorded only days before Janis died and is one of the very last recordings that Janis would ever make:

...:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo, vonbontee, Annadog40, ScrambledEggs
7 April 2014
2.03am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2303

Read about this somewhere before, I vaguely recall (possibly here) but it still makes me happy (love JJ)

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
7 April 2014
2.48am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Forum Posts: 6280

vonbontee said
Read about this somewhere before, I vaguely recall (possibly here) but it still makes me happy (love JJ)

@vonbontee Your memory is working well

@Ron Nasty  posted this in the Happy Birthday, John! thread back in October.

Then he made this follow up comment

If anybody is curious, that Janis recording is real, and was made for John. It was recorded on the 27th September 1970, and sent to John for his 30th birthday. Must have been a strange experience for John to receive it. She died on 4 October.

Then you responded

Oh man, I LOVE Janis Joplin! I'd totally be playing her music right now if I wasn't committed to the whole John Lennon thing at the moment!!

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

vonbontee
7 April 2014
3.06am
Billy Rhythm
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 517

The person who posted this particular video dates the recording on October 1st, 1970 so I'm not certain on which (SEP 27 or OCT 1) is the correct datestamp.  Although I love Janis' music I'm not really all that familiar with her recording history as I am with The Beatles' work...:-)

9 April 2014
4.10pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2303

lol at that incidental autolink in that last sentence there!

And thanks Ahhh Girl for confirming that my memory is indeed competent at vaguely recalling things a full SIX MONTHS ago!

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: AppleScruffJunior, Ahhh Girl
52 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 11240

mr. Sun king coming together: 6927

Ahhh Girl: 6280

parlance: 5943

Annadog40: 5504