Concert For George | Page 2 | George Harrison | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Concert For George
10 March 2011
5.46pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
21

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

 

I read dead people… a-hard-days-night-paul-2a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
10 March 2011
7.09pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 4099
Member Since:
14 April 2010
Offline
22

paulsbass said:

Don't watch this on youtube, get the DVD, it's sooooooo worth it! All in all definitely the best concert DVD I own and a TOTAL must have for ANY Beatle- and George-fan.a-hard-days-night-george-10

Thanks paulsbass. Up to now, I've only seen the footage on YT but do own the CD. I'll be sure to put this on top of my next Amazon order.

 

Inner Light said:

Indian music is very serious music. It really moves your heart and is difficult to play. I received a Sitar for a Christmas present last year and it is an amazing instrument. It takes a lot of patients to tune and play buy very gratifying. I can see why George loved the instrument so much. It puts on another level musically.

 

I've been meaning to ask you how the sitar lessons are going. Any progress?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

11 March 2011
12.54am
Inner Light
Friar Park
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 494
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline
23

Zig said:

paulsbass said:

Don't watch this on youtube, get the DVD, it's sooooooo worth it! All in all definitely the best concert DVD I own and a TOTAL must have for ANY Beatle- and George-fan.a-hard-days-night-george-10

Thanks paulsbass. Up to now, I've only seen the footage on YT but do own the CD. I'll be sure to put this on top of my next Amazon order.

 

Inner Light said:

Indian music is very serious music. It really moves your heart and is difficult to play. I received a Sitar for a Christmas present last year and it is an amazing instrument. It takes a lot of patients to tune and play buy very gratifying. I can see why George loved the instrument so much. It puts on another level musically.

 

I've been meaning to ask you how the sitar lessons are going. Any progress?

 

No lessons yet officially. I have been teaching myself and learning from watching videos and the internet. I was laid off from work a few months ago so I am waiting to start work and then I will take a real physical lesson. 

Thanks for asking. a-hard-days-night-george-8

The further one travels, the less one knows
11 March 2011
1.51pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 4099
Member Since:
14 April 2010
Offline
24

Inner Light said:

No lessons yet officially. I have been teaching myself and learning from watching videos and the internet. I was laid off from work a few months ago so I am waiting to start work and then I will take a real physical lesson. 

Thanks for asking. a-hard-days-night-george-8

You are welcome. Self teaching just might be the way to go – worked for George! Good luck.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

11 March 2011
8.21pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
25

Zig said:

Inner Light said:

No lessons yet officially. I have been teaching myself and learning from watching videos and the internet. I was laid off from work a few months ago so I am waiting to start work and then I will take a real physical lesson. 

Thanks for asking. a-hard-days-night-george-8

You are welcome. Self teaching just might be the way to go – worked for George! Good luck.

What is going to be the first song you learn?

*17*

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
11 March 2011
11.27pm
Inner Light
Friar Park
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 494
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline
26

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Zig said:

Inner Light said:

No lessons yet officially. I have been teaching myself and learning from watching videos and the internet. I was laid off from work a few months ago so I am waiting to start work and then I will take a real physical lesson. 

Thanks for asking. a-hard-days-night-george-8

You are welcome. Self teaching just might be the way to go – worked for George! Good luck.

What is going to be the first song you learn?

 

Norwegian Wood. The perfect song to start with.
 

The further one travels, the less one knows
12 March 2011
8.36am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3450
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline
27

Zig – George may have started off self-taught, but quickly realised he needed some proper tuition. Hence the trips to India in (I think) 1966 and 1967.

Ravi Shankar was one of his teachers. I once read a quote, possibly by him, saying that Indian musicians laughed at Norwegian Wood when it came out, because the sitar playing was so amateurish and simplistic.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

12 March 2011
9.55pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
28

Joe said:

Zig – George may have started off self-taught, but quickly realised he needed some proper tuition. Hence the trips to India in (I think) 1966 and 1967.

Ravi Shankar was one of his teachers. I once read a quote, possibly by him, saying that Indian musicians laughed at Norwegian Wood when it came out, because the sitar playing was so amateurish and simplistic.

And to think I love how the sitar sounds in there. a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

 

 

 

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
12 March 2011
9.59pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
29

The thing with me is I don't know what constitutes good sitar.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
12 March 2011
10.11pm
Inner Light
Friar Park
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 494
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline
30

mr. Sun king coming together said:

The thing with me is I don't know what constitutes good sitar.

I am sure it is the emotion and passion one puts into playing. Right now I am just making a lot of pinging sounds on it. I also play guitar and Ukulele and have a duel with one of my friends so we want to use it for a couple of numbers. I wish I had more time to spend on it.  

 

The further one travels, the less one knows
12 March 2011
10.15pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline
31

I guess that's the best explanation.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
26 March 2011
12.56am
Inner Light
Friar Park
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 494
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline
32

Has anyone purchased the new Blu-Ray version of 'The Concert For George'?

I heard it was recorded in High Definition and was wondering how much better it is from the standard DVD release.

The further one travels, the less one knows
19 May 2011
5.17am
ImOnlyDreaming
Strawberry Fields.... it's nothing to get hung about
The Kaiserkeller
Forum Posts: 53
Member Since:
21 March 2011
Offline
33

Is there any specific songs I should buy? Personally, I don't want the indian music, as I'm not a huge fan, or Honey Don't. Please leave suggestions!

a-hard-days-night-george-3

19 May 2011
7.14am
Inner Light
Friar Park
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 494
Member Since:
20 December 2010
Offline
34

ImOnlyDreaming said:

Is there any specific songs I should buy? Personally, I don't want the indian music, as I'm not a huge fan, or Honey Don't. Please leave suggestions!

a-hard-days-night-george-3

The whole concert is fantastic. Not sure how many songs you want to purchase but these are my favorites:

Beware Of Darkness

Horse To The Water

For You Blue

Something

All Things Must Pass

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Wah Wah

I'll See You In My Dreams

The further one travels, the less one knows
19 November 2013
3.35am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1873
Member Since:
17 January 2013
Offline

My friend lent me the DVD, finally watching it.

Has anyone else seen it?  So many feels!  paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney  

Much love to ya George!  hearthearthearta-hard-days-night-george-9

 

Edit:  Just finished.  I lost it when they did "All Things Must Pass" and "My Sweet Lord".  SO much love for George, it's a beautiful thing!  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

 

19 November 2013
5.16am
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1681
Member Since:
29 August 2013
Offline
36

^ We had quite a conversation about it a while back – I can't recall which thread and search is not cooperating.

But yes, a superb DVD and a brilliant example of how to do a multi-artist concert, and how to film and present one on film.

I really liked the songs Joe Brown performed; especially That's The Way It Goes off Gone Troppo.

19 November 2013
5.24am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1873
Member Since:
17 January 2013
Offline
37

trcanberra said
^ We had quite a conversation about it a while back – I can't recall which thread and search is not cooperating.

But yes, a superb DVD and a brilliant example of how to do a multi-artist concert, and how to film and present one on film.

I really liked the songs Joe Brown performed; especially That's The Way It Goes off Gone Troppo.

I tried searching too but I couldn't find anything…  I never really have luck with the searches.  

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

 

19 November 2013
5.28am
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1681
Member Since:
29 August 2013
Offline
38

LongHairedLady said

trcanberra said
^ We had quite a conversation about it a while back – I can't recall which thread and search is not cooperating.

But yes, a superb DVD and a brilliant example of how to do a multi-artist concert, and how to film and present one on film.

I really liked the songs Joe Brown performed; especially That's The Way It Goes off Gone Troppo.

I tried searching too but I couldn't find anything…  I never really have luck with the searches.  

At least you had luck with the loan of the DVD – that's the important thing :)

 

19 November 2013
12.53pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2934
Member Since:
3 May 2012
Offline
39

I merged the threads as we already had one discussing this (love it, btw).

Using the search bar, if you type the words you're going to use in the title of a thread you're creating, you can see if there's a pre-exsisting one.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

19 November 2013
5.06pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 4099
Member Since:
14 April 2010
Offline
40

LongHairedLady said
My friend lent me the DVD, finally watching it.

Has anyone else seen it?  So many feels!  
 

I just watched this again over the weekend. Each time I watch it, I go through so many emotions. I've posted before, my favorite moment is the knowing smile shared by Ringo and Paul during 'For You Blue'. It starts around 1:10 in…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..h39lf2IMUg

 

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Mr. Kite, Rita Eleanor, Sugarplum fairy, She_is_leaving_home, UnidentifiedFiendishThingy
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9727

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5105

Ahhh Girl: 4939

mithveaen: 4651

Annadog40: 4113

Zig: 4099

Mr. Kite: 3658

Ron Nasty: 3026

fabfouremily: 2934

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2590

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3161

Posts: 133765

Newest Members: macdog, estoreparka, mouse, ug3hp, tilt

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4939), meanmistermustard (9727), Zig (4099), Joe (3450)

Administrators: Joe (3450), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None