Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) by Luca Perasi
25 January 2014
3.44pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 54
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said

backseat said

meanmistermustard said
Backseat, are there any plans to add in outtakes like Tragedy, Cage, Robbers Ball etc, maybe as a pdf file we can pay to download instead of having to buy the book again? Would be great to have such an addition to the book. 
I’m currently up to the Red Rose Speedway medley entries and loving every entry. It’s fantastic finally having a book that goes into Paul’s recordings one by one and in some depth. Definitely a must read.

Thank you very much. I’m glad it’s worth the reading! Thinking about something for the “extra-tracks”. Certainly should find a different option for the publishing than a pdf. file. It could be cracked in a snap these days!:)

Well as long as i don’t need to buy the whole book again for an extra chapter or two i’m happy.

No way, don’t worry. That wouldn’t be my style.

https://twitter.com/LucaPerasi

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

7 February 2014
5.52pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

After Dr.Beatle great review last month, I have the pleasure to see these nice comments on the book by Howie Edelson, contributor of Beatlefan magazine, for wmmr radio. He calls the book DEFINITIVE and GROUNDBREAKING. What an honor from him, one fine journalist and McCartney researches, and from such a prestigious magazine.

Link:

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news…..ID=2118530

Luca

The following people thank backseat for this post:

DrBeatle

Italian translator of Paul McCartney's THE LYRICS, collaborator of MPL for The 7" Singles Box

7 February 2014
7.05pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Any further decision on the unreleased tracks, you could also throw details of the non-Macca written album tracks that are on the Wings albums? Could make it a follow-up.

Delighted you are getting such good reviews, it is thoroughly deserved.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 February 2014
8.27am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

meanmistermustard said
Any further decision on the unreleased tracks, you could also throw details of the non-Macca written album tracks that are on the Wings albums? Could make it a follow-up.

Delighted you are getting such good reviews, it is thoroughly deserved.

We’ve got a lot of things boiling…you’ll see :)
One of these projects is a website, that should start within a month. Anyone who likes to contribute with ideas or suggestions, could write to:
info@mccartney-recordings.com

8 February 2014
11.01am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

Going by all the rave reviews this book is getting, I think this topic should be moved from “Pimp your stuff” over to the books section. Perhaps a mod will think so too and move it.

9 February 2014
11.54am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

Ahhh Girl said
Going by all the rave reviews this book is getting, I think this topic should be moved from “Pimp your stuff” over to the books section. Perhaps a mod will think so too and move it.

As I said in the PM, I think I’ll leave it. It’s still an ad, regardless of how good it may be.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 February 2014
8.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

As the (former, late lamented) mod who placed it it here, and with good reason as it was Luca’s first post, I believe this thread has turned into a discussion of a book that has rightly been acknowledged as an important book.

I was right to put it here at the time, but this discussion should now be where it belongs, in the books forum. The same as we acknowledge Ron’s (Into the Sky with Diamonds) book as deserving a place there. There is a line between pimp and discussion, and I think this now deserves its place in books as a discussion!

Crap as I put it here, having to rely on others to get my argument why I would be moving it back if I could. Just my opinion though!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 February 2014
10.22am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Yeah, I agree that it can be moved. It’s more of a general discussion about the book, rather than someone promoting their stuff (it’s a grey area sometimes).

I’ve also changed the topic title so it doesn’t say “NEW BOOK OUT NOW”. Sorry if you’ve bookmarked the thread and the old link no longer works.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

10 February 2014
1.32pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

I hadn’t thought about the folks who may have bookmarked the discussion. Hopefully all interested parties will find the new location.

Did someone PM backseat/Luca to let him know about the change? Probably so. Just checking for my own sanity’s sake.

11 February 2014
9.31pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Here we are in the new spot…Speaking of unreleased stuff, certainly it’s a huge amount of songs, but unfortunately not everyone  has been bootlegged…A couple of years ago, during a presentation of the italian version of this book, someone asked me which was my favorite unreleased Paul’s song. I chose a couple (“Waterspout”, and I think one great song it “Is It Raining in London?”), but generally speaking I don’t think anything that McCartney wrote but remained unissued would have changed his solo career. Maybe a couple of hits more, but nothing revolutionary. What do you think?

15 March 2014
10.58am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Examiner interview with author Luca Perasi.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 April 2014
12.14am
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Review by Edward Eikelenboom, editor of Dutch magazine MACCAZINE (scroll down the page to find the review):

http://www.maccazine.nl/now-sa…..ca-perasi/

:)

29 April 2014
12.15am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Went to Barnes and Noble to get it and was told it’s not available in the U.S.   Anyone have information to the contrary?

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

15 May 2014
9.11pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Another review, this time by Joshua Lapin Bertone. https://www.facebook.com/Wings…..9926665686

“If someone wanted to learn how the Beatles recorded “Strawberry Fields Forever ”, it wouldn’t take them long to find out. There are tons of books out there which detail every step of the song’s birth from John’s composition of it to the even…tual recording of it at EMI Studios. Beatle scholars have no difficulty finding out every tidbit about the recording sessions. Unfortunately, one wouldn’t have the same luck if they wanted to learn about how Wings “Little Lamb Dragonfly” was recorded. There are limited resources out there for those who wish to learn about recordings sessions the Fab Four did after they split up.
Luca Perasi saw the void and filled it. His book “Paul McCartney : Recording Sessions (1969-2013)” covers just what its title implies. The book begins with the secret 1969 recordings for the “McCartney” album and ends with entries on “New”. While the “Eight Arms To Hold You: The Solo Beatles Compendium” covers similar ground, that book is almost fifteen years old and new information is always coming to life. “Recording Sessions” even corrects some material which was incorrect in “Eight Arms”.
Each song gets its own entry. The entry details where and when the song was recorded, who played what instruments on it and other miscellaneous details. Luca interviewed many musicians, engineers and other industry professionals to get the story straight. In doing so he’s brought never before heard stories onto these pages. He even had Monique Seiwell (wife of Wings first drummer Denny Seiwell) consult her diary to get some recording dates and locations correctly. That’s what I call following up on leads! Tony Clark, an engineer whose name should be familiar to McCartney fans, also helped consult on the book and gives a great introduction.
This isn’t a complete look at Paul’s recording career. In order to make the book’s mission statement more obtainable, only McCartney penned compositions are covered. This means that non-McCartney written songs such as Wings “Medicine Jar” (written by Jimmy McCulloch) and various cover songs aren’t represented. While their absence is notable, the wealth of information on the rest of the catalogue is more than enough to make up for it. When you’re being served a five course meal, you don’t complain that there isn’t enough bread. I’ve seen some reviews bemoan the book’s lack of pictures, but I didn’t read the book for photos. I wanted a book that would tell me the story of Paul’s post Beatle recording career, and this more than delivered.
I consider myself a McCartney scholar, and I’ve read many books on his recording career. There were many times in this book that I found myself learning new pieces of information. There were some surprises and lots of interesting stories. I was very impressed with the amount of research Luca took in putting this together. This book is a must have for any Paul McCartney fans and belongs on the shelf right next to Madinger and Easter’s “Eight Arms To Hold You” and Lewisohn’s “Complete Beatles Recording Sessions”.” (Joshua Lapin Bertone)

31 May 2014
1.05pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Review by Chaz Lipp, contributor of The Morton Report.

http://www.themortonreport.com…..ca-perasi/

“Essential reading for any serious Paul McCartney fan, Luca Perasi’s Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) covers everything from theMcCartney album (released in 1970) right through New (released in 2013). Perasi takes us from song to song, conveying tons of detailed information. The goal was to focus on factual information rather than critical analysis. While some of the author’s opinion-based commentary slips in, he makes a genuine effort to make this a reference guide above all else. Each song includes a listing of musicians involved, as well as where and when each tune was recorded. 

It’s made clear in the introduction, the scope of the book is limited to songs written by McCartney that appeared on a release credited to Paul McCartney , Wings, or The Fireman (the latter being McCartney’s experimental collaboration with producer Martin Glover, aka Youth). Any song written by someone other than McCartney is not covered (though his many co-writes with various songwriters, including Denny Laine, Eric Stewart, and Elvis Costello, are included—with the exception of re-recorded Lennon/McCartney songs). As a result, much of the content of Give My Regards to Broadstreet(1984), Run Devil Run  (1999), and Kisses On The Bottom  (2012) is only given a brief mention. 

Examining nearly 400 individual songs is ambitious enough, but what makes Recording Sessions of particular interest are quotes taken from some 70 original, exclusive interviews the author conducted with McCartney collaborators and session players. Some of these are ,prominent participants, such as engineer Tony Clark (who contributed a foreword in the form of a poem) and former Wings members Laurence Juber, Denny Seiwell, and Steve Holley. Others are far more obscure, such as Bill Wolfer, the keyboardist who plays on the Michael Jackson collaboration “Say, Say, Say,” or Stan Sulzmann, saxophonist on the U.K.-only single “Once Upon a Long Ago.” 

In other words, Perasi dug deep to unearth new stories that even the hardest of hardcore McCartney fans have not likely heard. It’s a goldmine of anecdotes that all contribute to a further understanding and appreciation of McCartney’s solo career, especially the less-often discussed obscurities. Fascinating accounts emerge, such as how McCartney so admired Clare Fischer’s work with Prince that he hired Fischer to score the orchestration for the Flowers In The Dirt ballad “Distractions” (the late Fischer’s son, Brent, was interviewed by Persasi). This may sound like minutiae, and to casual fans many of the stories may be considered insignificant. But for those who crave every detail they can get their hands on, Perasi’s research yields plenty. 

Perasi also draws from a wide variety of previously published interviews, always meticulously citing his sources (including, I’m proud to say, The Morton Report—my own interview with former Wings drummer Denny Seiwell is quoted a couple times). Whether culled from previously existing writings or from his personal research, Perasi organizes the information very clearly throughout the book. The basic layout takes us from year to year, with a numbered heading for each song (indexed in the back of the book for quick reference; there’s also a short bio for every person mentioned throughout). Where appropriate, Perasi also fills in the blanks by including general info about tours, live recordings, and side projects in order to provide some continuity to McCartney’s full recording career. 

Perasi sought to present the McCartney songbook in strict order of recording date, with detailed credits listing who played which instrument on every song. Without having the kind of official, all-access pass that Mark Lewisohn had to the Beatles archive for The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, some of these dates and credits remain a mystery. But Perasi did the best he could, compiling the most comprehensive annotations to date. It should also be noted that this English translation (from Perasi’s native Italian) is not without some oddities in syntax. But generally speaking, it is always clear what the author is trying to communicate. While the translation could’ve probably been smoother in places, it shouldn’t be seen as a deal-breaker for anyone interested. 

Paul McCartney : Recording Sessions (1969-2013) is an important work for anyone with a deep interest in the solo career of Paul McCartney . It is currently available for purchase on Amazon U.K. Follow author Luca Perasi on Twitter.” (Chaz Lipp)

3 June 2014
3.35pm
DrBeatle
The Midwest via Boston
Candlestick Park
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 1595

Into the Sky with Diamonds said
Went to Barnes and Noble to get it and was told it’s not available in the U.S.   Anyone have information to the contrary?

Hey @Into the Sky with Diamonds, it’s not available here. I had to order it through Amazon UK and that seems to be the only place to get it here in the US. Well worth it, though!

The following people thank DrBeatle for this post:

"I know you, you know me; one thing I can tell you is you got to be free!"

Please Visit My Website, The Rock and Roll Chemist

Twitter: @rocknrollchem

Facebook: rnrchemist

4 June 2014
2.06am
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Dr. Beatle, how much did it set you back? Wonder if I should try the Canadian Amazon.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

4 June 2014
5.07pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

For anyone interested, there’s a podcast of my interview at the BEATLE BUG SHOW here:

http://wdar.ie/the-beatle-bug-podcasts/

scroll down the page and the last one is mine LUCA PERASI INTERVIEW: PAUL McCARTNEY RECORDING SESSIONS 1969-2013

Enjoy it!!

Luca

Ahhh Girl

1 July 2014
10.07pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

Finally….The book is available in the US!!

Link:

ie=UTF8&qid=1403958485&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions+1969-2013

This edition is basically the same of the European (in fact, ISBN is the same) but has been improved with the help of English writer Steve Lambley, author of the book AND THE BAND BEGINS TO PLAY. I’ve added special acknowledgments to a number of people who for one reason or another were of help and support, and here I would like to remember Steve Marinucci (he was the first to post news about the book’s publishing, back in November) and Drew Athans (he was the first to review the book).

Luca

Ahhh Girl, IveJustSeenAFaceo, DrBeatle

6 July 2014
2.10pm
backseat
The Kaiserkeller
Members

A nice review of the book appeared on the Epiphone official website!

PAUL McCARTNEY: A LIFE IN THE STUDIO

29/05/2014

“While Sir Paul is recovering from a nasty viral infection that forced him to cancel several weeks of touring, fans who might have missed a show or two ought to check out the new reference book, Paul McCartney Recording Sessions 1969-2013, which covers McCartney’s solo career away from The Beatles.  The reference book includes musician credits, studio info, instruments, and more from all of McCartney’s albums, singles, and side projects.
Author Luca Perasi has also included quotes from previous McCartney interviews as well as quotes from fellow musicians to tie the all the facts together.
Though Perasi’s native language is Italian, the translation is quite good and you can bet that this is only the first printing in what will continue to be a valuable (and ever growing) chronicle of Macca’s work.  Don’t miss it.
Paul’s vintage Epiphone Texan and Casino, both purchased 50 years ago this fall, make frequent appearances.”

http://www.epiphone.com/News/F…..tudio.aspx

meanmistermustard, Ahhh Girl

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Joe
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691