Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
31 July 2014
4.28pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3421sp_Permalink sp_Print

Association – Windy (1967)

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Matt Busby

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

31 July 2014
5.19pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
3422sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Zig Thirty Three and 1/3 is great, isn’t it? My personal favorite Harrison solo album.

The following people thank WETSRoosa for this post:

Matt Busby

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

31 July 2014
6.33pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3423sp_Permalink sp_Print

It sure is great – I truly enjoy every single one of his albums. There are so many gems.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

31 July 2014
7.02pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3424sp_Permalink sp_Print

George’s solo catalogue is so underrated its ridiculous and pathetic. 

I listened to Pepper from Mr Kite onwards, darm that runs of tracks is so good.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 August 2014
9.53pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
3425sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Mimi, Bulldog

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

2 August 2014
2.22am
Bulldog
The Rhythm Revue
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1512

Kinks – “Susannah’s Still Alive”

One of the reasons I love this song so much is I think Dave sounds just a bit like Paul (less now than before I became a full-fledged Beatlemaniac.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..Qa0QqZd2Wk

The following people thank Bulldog for this post:

Necko

If you're lonely (or not!), you can talk to me. .....Hey! Are you a new member on this fine forum and don't know where to go to introduce yourself?
Well, you can do it here! Dig it?

2 August 2014
3.07am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3427sp_Permalink sp_Print

Long, Long, Long ‘ 

Beautiful song.ahdn_george_05

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Mimi, meanmistermustard

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

3 August 2014
12.44am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
3428sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rush’s discography on shuffle. Natural Science currently on (right after The Camera Eye, that’s funny). Rush is awesome.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

3 August 2014
12.54am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

Choba B CCCP

Mom is here with me for the week. She says that Paul sounds so much like Elvis on some of the songs. She is really digging the album. Yes, she knows she’s getting big doses of The Beatles when she comes for a visit. We’ve already gone through Beatles For Sale twice and the Johanneshovs Isstadion in Stockhom on the 28 July 1964 concert.

3 August 2014
1.08am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Beatles, Empire Stadium, Vancouver – 22/8/64. Paul sings new words for ‘Things We Said Today ‘, John and Paul deliberately put each other off when singing ‘If I Fell ‘ and the concert is stopped twice due to an over-eager crowd getting too near the stage. Hearing the compere telling the crowd to sit down and behave themselves or the concert will be stopped seconds before Paul is encouraging them to join in with ‘Can’t Buy Me Love ‘ is particularly amusing. You get to hear Derek Taylor address the crowd at the second stoppage before a now fed up John expresses his desire to get the show over with, impatiently calling for Paul to count in ‘A Hard Day’s Night ‘. 

Am looking forward to hearing the live-as-it-happened radio commentary on the show.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 August 2014
2.35am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080

Nilsson Schmilsson.

As Beatlemaniacs know, Harry Nilsson was a friend of John and Ringo at least (and famously got drunk with Lennon in some nightclub in LA during Lennon’s “lost weekend”).  I’m trying to educate myself on music I never really delved into before.  I dimly recall I like some Nilsson hits (especially that “put de lime in de coconut” song); so I thought I’d listen more closely…

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

3 August 2014
6.52pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3432sp_Permalink sp_Print

Listened to the radio commentary of the Vancouver 22nd August ’64 show (as mentioned 2xa-hard-days-night-ringo-8). Its quite something to hear the fire brigade are rushing in to keep the fans back as the police are guarding the Beatles car, all the fainted girls being taken out and the radio commentators liking the reactions of the audience to Beatles movements as “mass hypnosis. However the most incredible part was the Beatles exit. The commentators are wondering how the Beatles are going to get out as Long Tall Sally is playing in the background when suddenly the song is over and the Beatles are gone taking everyone by surprise at how quickly they leg it down the stairs and into the car which races out – literally seconds. I’ve read about how quickly they left the stadium but actually hearing it is something else. 

3 August 2014
7.42pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Bulldog

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

4 August 2014
5.26am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
3434sp_Permalink sp_Print

Image Enlarger

Bulldog

4 August 2014
3.53pm
Bulldog
The Rhythm Revue
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1512

After listening to how amazingly BETTER the mono remaster of Long, Long, Long sounds, I’m now listening to the mono remastered White Album in full. 

EDIT 1: Why is the clapping at the beginning of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da cut out? I knew about Ringo’s shout at the end of Helter Skelter , but not this. It’s a minor nitpick, but it still bothers me, having always heard the version with the clapping.

EDIT 2: For some reason, one voice in particular stands out in Wild Honey Pie here – a low/mid harmony, when on the version I was used to had the high one sticking out a bit. Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes! This doesn’t really bother me, I just felt like adding it in.

EDIT 3: K, mmm. 

EUGH! What happened to Ringo?!?! R.I.P. Don’t Pass Me By . This is what I’d imagine an Alvin and the Chipmunks cover would sound like. Maybe I’ve just found two videos in a row with oddly pitched audio (listening on YouTube), but I doubt it when nothing else was changed except for little things like the claps.

EDIT 4: This version of Helter Skelter is shorter, and I would actually like this quicker, shorter ending better than the Stereo one if Ringo’s shout was there. Classic.

If you're lonely (or not!), you can talk to me. .....Hey! Are you a new member on this fine forum and don't know where to go to introduce yourself?
Well, you can do it here! Dig it?

4 August 2014
4.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

No idea why the handclaps were mixed out of Ob-La-Di/Da mono – or should that be mixed in in the stereo – but its not the only one. I wont post spoilers. Kepp letting us know your thoughts as you get thru the album @Bulldog.

Currently listening to Extra Texture . ‘You’ was left over from ‘All Things Must Pass ‘ and its easy to see why but ‘The Answers At The End ‘ and ‘This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying’ are good – love the reference to ‘Isn’t It A Pity ‘ and the intro of ‘This Guitar’ reminded me of ‘My Sweet Lord ‘ which is a surprise considering the lawsuit was going on at this point (if my timings are correct). ‘Ooh Baby (You Know That I Love You)’ was nice but unremarkable really and that’s the last full track i have gotten to. Its more enjoyable than i remember it to be, liking ‘World of Stone’ and its jollyness music-wise.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Bulldog, Zig

4 August 2014
4.20pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3437sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Jam-Going Underground

4 August 2014
8.04pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
3438sp_Permalink sp_Print

Image Enlarger

Bulldog

5 August 2014
2.29am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
3439sp_Permalink sp_Print

One from my days in college…

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

5 August 2014
4.40am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Zig said
It sure is great – I truly enjoy every single one of his albums. There are so many gems.

Starting with the perfect album with the perfect name after the breakup:  All Things Must Pass .  One of my all time faves in all of music.  Maybe not even George’s best, but some absolutely tremendous songs.  Man, what a portfolio he had built up!  And right after the best last lyric before a breakup (ignoring Her Majesty ).  More Beatles “bests”…

To segue back into topic, I saw Astro’s post about My Sweet Lord vs. He’s So Fine.  I hadn’t listened to My Sweet Lord in over a month so now I’m listening to it…for the 3rd time in a row – ATMP version 😀 

Despite not believing in any God yet described by man (but considering myself rather spiritual), the song speaks to me as deeply as any I’ve heard.  “My Lord” can be a concept, the song is a metaphor for the passage of life (to me), not a hymn.  But that’s just what I get out of it…YMMV!  It’s also just plain aesthetically pleasing to my ears, the primary chord progression and lead guitar harmonies (I am hearing that right right? – e.g., starting 9 bars in).

ps – on 4th time now

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690