Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
20 October 2013
7.34pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Lawrence Juber on Breakfast with the Beatles doing his fingerpicking acoustic version of “I Am The Walrus .” I’m not kidding. It’s awesome. I wasn’t planning on spending the money, but I may have to see him in concert next weekend.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

20 October 2013
8.46pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
2202sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blast from the past, a Golden Moldy:  “One Step Forward, Two Steps Back”, from Robert Lamm’s solo album Skinny Boy (released in 1975 while he was still in the band Chicago — he still is, in fact; he just wanted to do a solo album on the side, much like when Mick Jagger did in 1985, with She’s the Boss).

I finally got around to purchasing the good songs from Lamm’s album — aside from the one above, also “Temporary Jones”, “Love Song”, and “Crazy Way to Spend a Year” (that’s right, only 4 songs off the album are good enough to buy; but that’s not unusual for any musician or band, it seems).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

21 October 2013
9.58pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..XwQU1vNOqA

Don’t know why but I suddenly had an urge to listen to Janis tonight.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

22 October 2013
3.57am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
2204sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul’s “Tug Of War ” album.  DAMN his voice was amazing in the early 80’s.  Was at it’s peak in my opinion.  heart

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

22 October 2013
6.08am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2205sp_Permalink sp_Print

LongHairedLady said
Paul’s “Tug Of War ” album.  DAMN his voice was amazing in the early 80’s.  Was at it’s peak in my opinion.  heart

While I haven’t got there yet in my listening voyage I caught a couple of tracks on Wingspan from that era and was thinking the same.  I read someone suggesting that the first signs of cracks start to appear on “Press To Play “, but it is also ‘on my list’ so I can’t comment on that as yet.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

22 October 2013
11.52pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
2206sp_Permalink sp_Print

I recently rediscovered “No More Lonely Nights” (1984), a song I pooh-poohed when it came out and never revisited until a week ago.  Amazing vocals, satisfying tune.  What was wrong with me…?a-hard-days-night-paul-4

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

23 October 2013
12.24am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2207sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
I recently rediscovered “No More Lonely Nights” (1984), a song I pooh-poohed when it came out and never revisited until a week ago.  Amazing vocals, satisfying tune.  What was wrong with me…?a-hard-days-night-paul-4

We will stick with “you’ve matured”. How’s that?

23 October 2013
12.45am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2208sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said

I have really liked the song (and the album) since they came out – I’m definitely in a minority with the latter.

Latest listen in my saga last night was “Sgt. Pepper ‘s” – not bad – could do well for the lads.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

23 October 2013
12.46am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Funny Paper said

You listened to it in the context of the Regards album, nothing could smell good after an album with so much stench.

trcanberra said 

Funny Paper said 
           I recently rediscovered “No More Lonely Nights” (1984), a song I pooh-poohed when it came out and never revisited until a week  B              ago.  Amazing vocals, satisfying tune.  What was wrong with me…?a-hard-days-night-paul-4

I have really liked the song (and the album) since they came out – I’m definitely in a minority with the latter.

Latest listen in my saga last night was “Sgt. Pepper ‘s” – not bad – could do well for the lads.

No chance. Too many wizzy effects (Mr Kite, Pepper, Lucy), too much indian preachy stuff (Within You, Without You), fluffy lyrics (When I’m 64), mushy sentiment (He’s Leaving Home), idiotic animals (Good Morning) and a number at the end that is just noise in places (A Day In The Life ). And what’s up with that random self-indulgent garbage at the end of the LP that just won’t shut unless i lift off the needle. Revolver was ok, the follow-up single in February ’67 was too removed from the cheery moptops past hits to be anything special and now this! The Beatles are losing it. Mark my words, after this latest LP The Beatles are finished.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 October 2013
10.05pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2210sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought “Wings Wild Life ” last night. Hopefully, it will console me enough to keep me from crying or pouting on my 2 hour drive home.

25 October 2013
11.48pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2211sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I bought “Wings Wild Life ” last night. Hopefully, it will console me enough to keep me from crying or pouting on my 2 hour drive home.

Ooh – I remember hating that back when it came out but would love to get it again now – it is on my wishlist after I get all the ones that are available on CD at a sensible price :)

The Paul ones I have yet to get are: “Wild Life “, “Red Rose Speedway “, “Venus And Mars “, “Speed of Sound” and “Back To The Egg ” -> yes, the out-of print 70s stuff.  I received “London Town ” last night from Russia, it may be a pirated Japanese version, but it sounds fine – it was one I liked ‘back then’ and I really enjoyed it again last night.

Have the Ringo CDs arrived yet?

25 October 2013
11.48pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2212sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^  Thanks for that MMM – gave me a good laff to get my Saturday away with a bang!

26 October 2013
12.11am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2213sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

Ooh – I remember hating that back when it came out but would love to get it again now – it is on my wishlist after I get all the ones that are available on CD at a sensible price :)

The Paul ones I have yet to get are: “Wild Life “, “Red Rose Speedway “, “Venus And Mars “, “Speed of Sound” and “Back To The Egg ” -> yes, the out-of print 70s stuff.  I received “London Town ” last night from Russia, it may be a pirated Japanese version, but it sounds fine – it was one I liked ‘back then’ and I really enjoyed it again last night.

Have the Ringo CDs arrived yet?

Yes, they have. I am going to put one on for the second half of my drive.

26 October 2013
12.44am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Aside from Bip Bop (goes on too long) I find Wild Lifeto be a really good album and fail to see why it gets so much bad press. Yes it’s a bit rough but considering folks moan that Paul is too polished at times.ahdn_paul_01

Great place to go Ahh Girl (is it wrong you to call you AG? (AG->GA->GAGA->Lady Gaga – its a slope laid with fairy liquid)).

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 October 2013
1.02am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

meanmistermustard said
Aside from Bip Bop (goes on too long) I find Wild Lifeto be a really good album and fail to see why it gets so much bad press. Yes it’s a bit rough but considering folks moan that Paul is too polished at times.ahdn_paul_01

Great place to go Ahh Girl (is it wrong you to call you AG? (AG->GA->GAGA->Lady Gaga – its a slope laid with fairy liquid)).

Ha ha – I love how our tastes are so different – from (hazy) memory ‘Bip Bop’ was one of the tracks I liked :)

I agree that it didn’t deserve bad press, but I think folks were just down on Paul at the time, even “Ram ” was panned by most and is considered a classic by many nowadays.

[EDIT] I also remember liking “Love is Strange”, I don’t recall the other tracks – so maybe I liked it better than I remember now.

26 October 2013
1.23am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2216sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Lady Gaga has kissed Paul McCartney . Perhaps calling me AG might bring me some luck.?.?

26 October 2013
1.33am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ahhh Girl said

meanmistermustard said

Lady Gaga has kissed Paul McCartney . Perhaps calling me AG might bring me some luck.?.?

Going down that chain of thought you could call yourself Heather (she got more than a kiss)a-hard-days-night-paul-9

Or not do and let Paul know, that might give you a better chance.

26 October 2013
1.55am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2218sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

meanmistermustard said

Going down that chain of thought you could call yourself Heather (she got more than a kiss)a-hard-days-night-paul-9

Or not do and let Paul know, that might give you a better chance.

mmm, thanks for pointing out the logic to a fangirl who can’t unmuddle her brain enough to think straight sometimes.  

26 October 2013
3.32am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2219sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chair boogieing to ‘Steel And Glass ‘.

a-hard-days-night-john-7

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

26 October 2013
9.13am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2220sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Steel And Glass is a savage song, only listened to Walls And Bridges for the second time on John’s birthday this year and that song was the one that stood out the most to me, catchy little tune

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694