Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
3 September 2013
8.00pm
acmac
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 229
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

@Ahhh Girl,

It’s been so fun and interesting to read your comments as a brand new initiate to Beatledom! I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences, as it’s lovely to see things through new eyes, both for fresh insights that might not occur to old-hats, and because it’s jolly good fun to read! :)

3 September 2013
8.09pm
LikeASir
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 175
2142sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seeing as it’s Zeptember I’ve decided to dedicate most of my listening time to Led Zeppelin. However I’m slightly disappointed with it all….they started out with this nice rocking bluesy feel and then moved onto acoustic work. Not that I don’t like acoustic songs, but even the rock songs they did just sounded a bit lighter than usual. Anyway’s I’ve just finished Led Zeppelin III so I’ll move onto Led Zeppelin IV in a couple of days.

"White Album - My joint-fave Beatles album along with Revolver. They show the two sides of Beatles. Revolver's very controlled - even though it's also very innovative. The White Album's playful and almost ramshackle. It's like a scrapbook kept by a genius. Fantastic stuff."

3 September 2013
8.39pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
2143sp_Permalink sp_Print

A 19th-century French classical composer, Vincent D’Indy, and his piece Choral Varie written in 1903, for symphony orchestra and, interestingly enough, saxophone.  The saxophone (played by Sigurður Flosason for the Iceland Symphony Orchestra) doesn’t sound jazzy at all, but almost like a clarinet, yet with a distinctly stronger and metallic sonority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..rKEfwWxo_I

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

3 September 2013
9.31pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2144sp_Permalink sp_Print

acmac said
@Ahhh Girl,

It’s been so fun and interesting to read your comments as a brand new initiate to Beatledom! I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences, as it’s lovely to see things through new eyes, both for fresh insights that might not occur to old-hats, and because it’s jolly good fun to read! :)

Thank you, acmac! I’m just glad I started listening to everything I could get my hands on before I read any post of what others consider good or bad or like/dislike. I am trying to avoid those threads and comments so I can keep an open mind. To break my own rule here, I love “Press” by Paul McCartney . I’ve lived in Oklahoma since 1997 so I really get into “Oklahoma was never like this.”

3 September 2013
10.17pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2145sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said
Please Please Me is the next album up in my alphabetical list.I shall be entertained as I settle in for an afternoon of cataloging at work.

Nice – I’m doing them chronologically at the moment as I just bought the box set and about 20 other assorted CDs and DVDs.  Help is next up for me.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

4 September 2013
3.20pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
2146sp_Permalink sp_Print

LikeASir said

Seeing as it’s Zeptember I’ve decided to dedicate most of my listening time to Led Zeppelin. However I’m slightly disappointed with it all….they started out with this nice rocking bluesy feel and then moved onto acoustic work. Not that I don’t like acoustic songs, but even the rock songs they did just sounded a bit lighter than usual. Anyway’s I’ve just finished Led Zeppelin III so I’ll move onto Led Zeppelin IV in a couple of days.

Am currently in the process of going through their 70s catalogue. I love the acoustic stuff, so I don’t mind at all. Listening to ‘Going to California’ live at Earl’s Court makes me shiver.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 September 2013
9.11am
LadyBay
Following The Sun
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 106
2147sp_Permalink sp_Print

LikeASir said

Led Zep IV – you’re in for a treat!

"Try to realise it's all within yourself - no-one else can make you change"

9 September 2013
9.15am
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2148sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Been there, done that. :D I’ve almost got through all their catalogue now, and very impressed I am. Dunno why I’ve put it off for so long really. They were quite an amazing group, it seems.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 September 2013
7.45pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
2149sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would say that Robert Plant is a serious contender for the spot of the Second Greatest Rock Singer of all time (Paul being #1, of course).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

9 September 2013
8.02pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
2150sp_Permalink sp_Print

My ipod randomly came up with a James Taylor song I hadn’t listened to in a long time, from his last album October Road — an oddly quiet, meandering, gentle song, “Baby Buffalo”:

9 September 2013
9.25pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Listening to a stream of Elvis Costello and The Roots’ collaboration. I’ve never been big on Costello, but I like some of the tracks, particularly the song with La Marisoul.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

10 September 2013
5.43am
LadyBay
Following The Sun
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 106
2152sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
I would say that Robert Plant is a serious contender for the spot of the Second Greatest Rock Singer of all time (Paul being #1, of course)

I’d second that.

I’ve just seen the DVD “Sound City”, which is well worth the viewing and there is the most amazing footage of Paul doing a track with Dave Grohl and others, can’t recall who the others are or what it is called? (have to go back and have another look) but it was superb! 

"Try to realise it's all within yourself - no-one else can make you change"

10 September 2013
4.19pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
I would say that Robert Plant is a serious contender for the spot of the Second Greatest Rock Singer of all time (Paul being #1, of course).

Agreed.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

11 September 2013
10.48pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2154sp_Permalink sp_Print

Peter Asher is on the sixties on six xm radio with Cousin Brucie. They are talking about the Beatles.

12 September 2013
10.50pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Hi Hi is on seventies on seven xm radio

13 September 2013
9.29pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

I heard this song on Pandora years ago, and was trying to describe to a friend the crazy lyrics about loving so hard that they passed out in the front yard. I finally found it again, and learned it was actually a cover.

“Double Shot (Of My Baby’s Love)”

Something about changing it from a boy group to a girl group really puts a fine point on it. :-/

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

14 September 2013
12.35am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good song Parlance. Good find.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 September 2013
5.04pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2158sp_Permalink sp_Print

The weather outside is horrible, the football on the tv is so bad its quite amusing and Wings Wild Life is playing thru so its all good. Currently Wild Life is playing.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 September 2013
7.52pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2159sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Good song Parlance. Good find.

Thanks!

I’ve been in a nostalgic mood for an a capella singing group show in the US called The Sing-Off (which is coming back this season!) and I found this fantastic version of My Chemical Romance’s “Sing.” Can’t stop listening to it.

parlance

22 September 2013
3.00pm
SimplyShady74
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 4
2160sp_Permalink sp_Print

Currently enjoying ‘Nod Over Coffee’ by Mark Heard. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Filipe
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694