Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
21 October 2014
9.02pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9721sp_Permalink sp_Print

The guy who writes the report, Joel Freimark, makes a very good point that so much music nowadays is streamed or watched online in youtube or wherever either for free or as part of a paid membership. Why pay £10 for one album when you can can pay around the same price for an account with spotify where you can listen to far more.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig, Oudis

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

21 October 2014
9.05pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
9722sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, it seems it says more about buying habits than the music itself. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

21 October 2014
9.17pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I’ll be honest and admit i have no idea what new albums have been released this year. I do know that some record company was looking to Adele’s new album for huge sales but that now wont be coming out till next year – will be amazed if that doesn’t sell well over a million.

Haven’t One Direction got a new album due out and Taylor Swift has a new single out bitching about Harry Styles (different to all the old singles bitching about Harry Styles) so i presume she’s got a new album. Not expecting these to generate millions of copies being sold but they are/were two of the biggest names at one point, certainly the biggest i know of.

Should add that i listened to the latest ‘new’ Johnny Cash album as part of a free streaming account i have so there is one sale lost (after playing it thru i decided it wasnt worth buying).

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

21 October 2014
10.29pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
9724sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

@Ahhh Girl said
What building is there?

20130719_135240.jpgImage Enlarger

27 Ovington Square is the registered offices of Apple Corps Limited.

Does very much actually happen there?

22 October 2014
1.20am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

They have very long meetings about what not to put out and how to go about not putting it out. And they do it darn well. Occasionally one of them sends out for tea and biscuits. Busy days over there.

Ahhh Girl, AbbeyRoadRage, Mr. Kite

22 October 2014
1.24am
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491
9726sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The guy who writes the report, Joel Freimark, makes a very good point that so much music nowadays is streamed or watched online in youtube or wherever either for free or as part of a paid membership. Why pay £10 for one album when you can can pay around the same price for an account with spotify where you can listen to far more.

You’re right @meanmistermustard, and that makes me fear for the future of CDs –their fate seems to be that of LPs, and another art form (the covers) will be lost; also the idea of an album as a conceptual expression runs the risk of being left behind, with people only buying their favorite songs as “singles” –or am I just thinking and ranting like an old man?

The following people thank Oudis for this post:

Mr. Kite

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

22 October 2014
1.32am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
9727sp_Permalink sp_Print

Albums and their covers will remain because there is a demand for them but the market is rapidly changing whilst the record industry is dragging its feet like a victim in a horror film drags its a bloody stump (formerly a leg) thru a forest. It has to act quicker and more decisively in how to modernise instead of reacting too late to whats been happening.

Mr. Kite

22 October 2014
1.34am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
9728sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ I think sound tracks will be the way to go

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

22 October 2014
10.14am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
9729sp_Permalink sp_Print

“There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all.”

— Ogden Nash

The following people thank Funny Paper for this post:

Oudis

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

22 October 2014
2.58pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

There’s more than one factor besides streaming, though.  Honestly, I’m a bit disturbed with how morally okay the majority of my generation is with stealing music.

I tend to agree with what Kirk Hammett of Metallica said about iTunes killing music.  One of the reasons that a lot of music today is so bland is because everybody’s just trying to write singles that will get the most downloads.  Hardly anyone dares to experiment or push the boundaries anymore.  Albums are no longer works of art, but collections of safe, predictable songs that’ll sell well, plus a couple filler tracks.  We’ve reverted back to the fifties/early sixties in terms of album format.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

AbbeyRoadRage

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

23 October 2014
2.58am
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
9731sp_Permalink sp_Print

I really hate the fact that music is turning into not just trash, but boring trash. I hate dubstep, but at least it was somewhat inventive.

Oudis, MMM, and Necko all summarize it perfectly. People just want the sales, it’s not really about the music as art. The only thing I think Oudis is wrong about is the disappearance of album cover art. It won’t disappear, just become smaller (just like LP-> CD-> Digital) and therefore less creative because people don’t really need to look at it.

In the ‘olden days’ if someone liked a song they heard, on the radio etc, they bought the whole album to listen to it, and probably enjoyed the other things the artist had to offer. Now people are content in buying that one song and not giving a crap about its context in either an album or that artists over all work.

I understand that it’s nice to be able to buy one song you like on iTunes, but it is killing the musicianship, and seems to be making it easier for everyone and everyone they know to have a hit song, decreasing the value of saying you’re a professional musician.

As much as I love technology, I hate it too. Everyone watches concerts through screens (I am guilty of filming bits of Ringo last night, but I just pushed the button and looked past the screen, just wanting something to document being there with a Beatle. Most of the show the phone was in the pocket.), ignores people to be on their phones, etc. I’m not sure if it’s helping or hindering humankind.

I just hope someone finds a solution soon, a compromise to keep the art. And at least we know there are people like us still interested in full albums. And creative music.

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

23 October 2014
3.12am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
9732sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 I think it is just how tastes change. One man’s trash is another mans treasure. I have been following the pop charts and their are some good and some bad songs in my opinion.

People in the past also made songs because of money even the Beatles were guilty of this sometimes.

Now there is much more focus on the music video than back then because if someone likes a song, they will look it up on YouTube.

and for technology helping or hindering mankind. Something like that can’t be generalized since for people who are very shy it helps them to express themselves while others feel like they loose that human connection.

I think that the main money making for music will be sound tracks for movies, TV or Video games

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

23 October 2014
3.33am
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
9733sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know money has always been part of the motivation in music, but I feel that people loved playing their instruments and making music before, and even though they wanted the money it wasn’t the main focus. Although I know there are definitely artists today that play for the sake of playing, I think they’re just playing safer. If I happen to find myself in a store with new music on I can always predict what’s going to happen. There’s usually a phrase or two that’s repeated, a basic chord progression, and somewhere in the middle there’s either a stop before an unoriginal buildup back into the song or a rap break. Usually the former.

I agree that it is subjective, I’m just not a fan of the new stuff. Maybe I’m ignorant and am not giving it a chance, but I’ve heard enough of a broad range of new music and just don’t enjoy it.
At least not the popular stuff. If I looked for some small modern blues groups, for example, I might find someone I like, and I have found some good songs accidentally, but I’d rather just go back to the 60’s and 70’s and listen to some great stuff.

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Beatleva

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

23 October 2014
11.06am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
9734sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a really disturbing nightmare.  a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 Ugh, it’s been a long time since I had one..

I had fallen asleep on the couch… it’s 3am here…  my hubby should be home any minute from his graveyard shift (I hope) and I really don’t wanna go back to sleep until he gets here..  paul-mccartney 

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

23 October 2014
9.08pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
9735sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a solar eclipses right now on the sun in the US

24 October 2014
11.38pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
24 October 2014
11.49pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
9737sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not surprising considering what his house is like. That and the weather.

25 October 2014
12.06am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

What I learned today:

That a British passport is the most desirable passport to have.

I finally established that otters holding hands is the cutest thing in the world (they do it so when they are asleep they don’t drift away from each other).

That I can resist temptation from biscuits (haven’t touched the packet of custard creams in the press a-hard-days-night-paul-8)

My favourite colour is officially purple

A rather productive day I think that and I’m on midterm break yoohoo!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

meanmistermustard, Mr. Kite, AbbeyRoadRage

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

25 October 2014
12.20am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
9739sp_Permalink sp_Print

That otter picture is so damn adorable. My word, so cute.heart That might just be the picture to make me smile regardless.

25 October 2014
12.22am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

Ahhh Girl said
For @trcanberra when he returns

Canberra ranked ‘best place to live’ by OECD

Speaking of @trcanberra, I have a Beatles calendar hanging on my wall, and this was the image for September.

Image Enlarger

The following people thank Necko for this post:

trcanberra

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690