Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
15 August 2014
9.02pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9041sp_Permalink sp_Print

I keep getting a pop up for opensoftwareupdater has anyone else gotten it?

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

UnidentifiedFiendishThingy

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

15 August 2014
9.23pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
9042sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve only been on my phone today. I just Googled open software updater. There are some tips on uninstalling it out there.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Starr Shine?
15 August 2014
9.30pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
9043sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@Starr Shine?, our trip is earlier in the year. Hopefully there will be another opportunity for me to meet @AppleScruffJunior.

Question. I don’t want to clog up the “Your Favourite Bands (Other than the Beatles)” thread so I will ask here. I merged the two threads about this topic that AD40 pointed out. The other thread was titled “Favorite Non-Beatles Band?” Do you think we need a mash-up of the two titles to be the new thread title? Should I do this

Your Favourite/Favorite Bands (Other than the Beatles)

What way would you search for this using the forum search box?

Great stuff, I’ll bring Tayto crisps :D

About Liverpool trip (hopefully London will be included as well) anyone and everyone who is a member on the forum I’ll be glad to meet up with (I would buy you a beer but alas I’ll only be 17 :( ). I should be going around Ringo’s birthday (once again fingers crossed)

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Starr Shine?

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

15 August 2014
9.36pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
9044sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Annadog!  Those eyes on that cat!  I’m always amused and amazed by the personality of different cats.

The following people thank Funny Paper for this post:

Starr Shine?

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

15 August 2014
10.11pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959
9045sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey @AppleScruffJunior, was thinking about you earlier when take 2 of ‘Apple Scruffs ‘ came on my ipod. Nice to see you back whilst you are in Slovenia!! What’s it like there?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 August 2014
10.46pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
9046sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s good, I’m camping out on a friend of a friend’s couch for the night, will try to get a lift to the Austrian border to meet up with my parents who are in Weissbriach at the moment. From there I’m going to Venice on Sunday morning to go back to Ireland where I start my final year of school in 10 days (scary :O)

I’m outside the capital Ljubljana and while looking around this evening I saw a cool looking record shop that I might pop in to, shops are too expensive for clothes and things but food is dirt cheap-90c for a glass of wine :O

Confession: I don’t actually have the proper studio version of Apple Scruffs on my phone cause I don’t really like it, if there is a track that is far too over-produced it’s AS, I have take 2 and take 1 on my phone (take one only for George’s sneeze  a-hard-days-night-george-10  @0:49 )

15 August 2014
11.22pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
9047sp_Permalink sp_Print

Loser, you should’ve come to the Netherlands. Way cooler.

15 August 2014
11.32pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
9048sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I have time to spare tomorrow I’ll pop up there for a couple of hours a-hard-days-night-george-10

Met a girl from Amsterdam when I was in France she was pretty sound.

16 August 2014
7.05am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
9049sp_Permalink sp_Print

Slovenia, eh?  I’ve been wanting to write Slovenian lyrics for a song (a folkish song I’m developing from the traditional “Carnival of Venice” which I’d like to retitle “Carnival of Trieste”).  Only problem is, I don’t know Slovenian…blue-meanieBut for some reason, I feel it should be in that language.

The following people thank Funny Paper for this post:

Mr. Kite

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

16 August 2014
1.52pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
9050sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8@Funny Paper, have you noticed that our new member @She_is_leaving_home is from Slovenia?

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..2/#p136161

16 August 2014
5.31pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
9051sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Ahhh Girl, I’ll check that out!

16 August 2014
11.59pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
9052sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m looking at these directions I found on the web and trying to figure out just how far you would be walking to do exactly as this guy says.

I’d recommend, just for a change of pace (and to keep the suspense building) that you start with a lovely area, Sefton Park. It’s near Ullet Road; Croxteth Drive, Aigburth Drive and Mossley Hill Drive all surround it. This large city park is actually nice for a pleasant stroll. In 1963 Dezo Hoffman posed the Boys leaping wildly into the air, with several apartment buildings and expanses of lawn as backdrop, for cover art on several EP’s. You can find almost the very same view, if you want, and photograph your friends the same way…not quite the thrill of posing in the Abbey Road zebra crossing ( = crosswalk), but it’ll do for starters. There’s also a small boating lake at the end of the park. Legend has it that in the early thirties Alfred Lennon met Julia Stanley here, thus beginning a peculiar, if productive, romance.

Before seeing the Fabs’ boyhood homes, you’re so close to another landmark that you might as well continue onwards from Sefton Park to Greenbank Lane; at the end, jog right briefly on Greenbank *Road* and you’ll be standing at Penny Lane .

It’s really here; a modest street, at first lined with houses, then a small railway bridge (more houses beneath, with lovely brickwork), and then a small cluster of shops—nothing fancy, quite suburban. You can walk its length easily in a few minutes, and you’ll know you’ve arrived when you see the famous roundabout—a sensible system the British have for the meeting of two or more streets. The bank mentioned in the song is still there, though I didn’t see a barber; must’ve closed long ago. The shelter in the middle of the roundabout is intact, though boarded up, but people can sit here (on sunny days) and enjoy the busy traffic.

And once you’ve been there, you may notice a delightful phenomenon: you’ll never hear the song again without being transported back to this spot, instantly, or seeing it in your mind. Being in Liverpool gives *all* the Beatles’ songs a striking resonance; like many ineffable mysteries in life, you’ll actually perceive this aura of meaning through some sense beyond the five normal ones. It’s almost as if their former presence here has transfered some sort of core-deep understanding to you. But don’t ask me to prove it scientifically. :-)

At the roundabout you’ll find Smithdown Road; turn right and continue roughly southeast till Smithdown Road turns into Menlove Avenue. We all know who used to live here. The two-story house at 251 is surrounded by a black wrought-iron fence and dense, if thankfully short, foliage. It looks very much as it did when John was growing up here, though the decorated glass-panes in the window are obviously of recent origin.

People stop here frequently: huge tour buses, cars, cyclists, walkers. It’s a wonder there’s only a *small* sign reminding pilgrims that this is a private residence. Anyway, please don’t intrude beyond the front gate. Just stand and admire.

Close by, and walkable, is Beaconsfield Road. Walk down it about halfway and you’ll come to a big running wall; a red-painted ironwork gate with stylized berries and leaves; and a gatepost that says “Strawberry Field”. Singular. The gate is closed but you don’t want to go in, anyway; you want to stand before the little sign and read the graffiti from various travelers. Long ago, during John’s childhood, the orphanage that was run from here (in a Victorian brick building that has since been replaced) held carnivals, or “fetes” regularly. Now there’s a new building, and if you’re lucky you’ll see a face in one of the windows, peering curiously at you as you peer reverently across the fields.

Backtrack down Beaconsfield (if you can tear yourself away) up Menlove Avenue, and take the fork to Calderstones Road. Turn left at Harthill Road and you’ll be near Quarry Bank Grammar School, now called (after the park in which it’s situated) Calderstone’s Community Comprehensive School. You can wander into the front drive if you want and imagine the place where John and his young friends spent many wearying moments as schoolkids, but which nevertheless impressed John so much that to the end of his days he proudly wore the Quarry Bank tie. The day I was there (in the happy company, among others, of Geoff Eddy and Harold Somers, the latter our generous guide), the headmaster came out and spoke to us; agreed that the name change was ill-advised; and told us it would have been his pleasure to show us around had we only come earlier in the day; the school had been having its annual Christmas fete.

At the end of Calderstones Road is Allerton Road; and if you remember your Beatles history you’ll know that Dr. Macca comes from Allerton, a less-posh neighborhood than Woolton (whence John). If you follow Allerton Road all the way down to Cleveley or Chalfont Roads, you can turn west and jog right or left off the main boulevard, Mather Avenue, to Forthlin Road. Here was Paul’s dad’s humble abode; look for the house number 20. It’s a small, flat-fronted, connected row house with a few rose bushes in front and a fence. You might recall that Aunt Mimi did not approve of John’s practicing the guitar, so more often than not the incipient team of Lennon-McCartney would practice and compose here; there’s a photo of J and P strumming furiously over a notebook in which the words to “I Saw Her Standing There ” can be seen, and Mike McCartney, Paul’s younger brother, took that shot in the front room of the house at Forthlin Road.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Mr. Kite
17 August 2014
12.40am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
9053sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
If I have time to spare tomorrow I’ll pop up there for a couple of hours a-hard-days-night-george-10

Met a girl from Amsterdam when I was in France she was pretty sound.

Amsterdam is cool. Wouldn’t want to live there though. Way too big and dangerous. Not that my town isn’t scary with all the burglaries and drugsdeals lately.

Aargh. I was supposed to go out tonight but then I got sick. 

17 August 2014
5.58am
mcpon14
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 21

I think McDonald’s should be able to turn away customers like a bartender. 

“Three Big Macs please.” 

“Sir, I think you’ve had enough.”

Just a light-hearted joke to brighten up your day.  🙂

The following people thank mcpon14 for this post:

Mr. Kite
17 August 2014
9.32am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
9055sp_Permalink sp_Print

I liked this:

BvOXlhwCMAARQg9.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Mr. Kite, Mimi

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

17 August 2014
1.48pm
Mimi
Left of greenland
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 480
9056sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

Mimi said

@Zig    

Cool! I’ve always wanted to go to thata-hard-days-night-paul-7 Hope you take lots of pictures

Yeah, we are jazzed about the opportunity – especially since someone we know is competing. Nate is our farrier as well! We won’t be taking pics though, because we find that when we take pictures at any event, we miss more than half of what’s going on. Besides, if years from now my mind gets to the point where I can’t recall a great time, a picture will certainly do me no good anyway.

It always annoys me when I go to an event and see people watching it through their phone/camera. I was hoping you would be taking pictures so that you could post them on herea-hard-days-night-paul-11

We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians

17 August 2014
1.52pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
9057sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 If they don’t watch though phone/camera, How would they get a good picture?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

17 August 2014
1.55pm
Mimi
Left of greenland
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 480
9058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
ahdn_paul_06 If they don’t watch though phone/camera, How would they get a good picture?

Hmm..thinkinga-hard-days-night-ringo-13

We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians

17 August 2014
2.11pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
9059sp_Permalink sp_Print

They could just enjoy the event. I’m old enough to remember the days when people went to concerts, rather than went to film concerts. They’re not the same thing.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

17 August 2014
4.22pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959
9060sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can do both.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5515
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691