The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 331 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
31 March 2014
9.36pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Forum Posts: 5314

@Oyster Black Pearl the walls of the elevator at this conference center/hotel remind me of your avatar.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Mr. Kite, Annadog40
31 March 2014
9.58pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2232

fabfouremily said

Well, it's always going to be a very subjective matter, isn't it?

Easy answer is "I guess so"...

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
2 April 2014
2.57am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 504

vonbontee said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

That gives me a separate idea, on the history of american rock. 'Cause really, Britain's kills everyone in terms of musical talent. My top 5 bands ever are 4/5 British, with Nirvana being the only Americans.

Hah, you're sure to get some major disagreement from me as far as that goes! :)

This just came up somewhere else on the site, a "top 10 bands" list or something.  I looked at someone's top 100 list that I found on the web, and it seemed fairly consistent to what my top 100 would be.  I counted 60 American 31 British, a couple canadians and don't knows.  So while I agree that the UK produced the best bands, USA wins in total talent.  I mean, quick list of my top 10 bands (genesis, rolling stones, tom petty, john mellencamp, led zeppelin, the who, steely dan, the clash, pink floyd, seems i'm forgetting someone...) - 7 british (and knopfler, elton, elvis costello, in my top 20...clapton...you get the idea). So I have no qualms in giving you guys the crown as overall best music, just not best music overall.  Or something like that...

Edit:  [the edit proved irrelevant, so it was deleted - ed]

Half of what I say is meaningless...

"She said...And it's making me feel like my trousers are torn"

Help keep BeatlesBible alive! Use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes
2 April 2014
6.09pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2232

Even if the UK wins pop-musicwise (which is debatable), there's still a whole world of jazz and blues and soul that the Brits can't possibly hope to match.

(This shouldn't be surprising - the USA is a big country! They've got the numbers on their side.)

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
2 April 2014
6.26pm
Annadog40
I am here you are here we are here and we are all together
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4463

vonbontee said
Even if the UK wins pop-musicwise (which is debatable), there's still a whole world of jazz and blues and soul that the Brits can't possibly hope to match.

(This shouldn't be surprising - the USA is a big country! They've got the numbers on their side.)

If its numbers why isn't Indian or Chinese music as widespread?

Never say never, cause it's never 'never'

If you are like a new thingy than introduction your self in the into place here

If you can't log in or can't access the forum, then head over to the unofficial back up forum and someone will help
2 April 2014
8.28pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Somewhere other than where you are.
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2616

vonbontee said

That's the point I made upthread on country and rap.

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Mr. Kite
(This signature brought to you by Winter. Coming for an abnormally long amount of time.)
2 April 2014
8.29pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3967

Annadog40 said

vonbontee said

@Annadog40 They're just not as musically appealing worldwide as other   genres, I doubt many Chinese listen to country music.

@vonbontee / @Von Bontee The US does really trump the UK jazz/blues wise. But I still think they're ahead in rock/pop

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love! If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes
2 April 2014
8.31pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10050

Received the letter below (attached as a jpeg) in an email, supposedly from HMRC, as we all know they do all their business thru random emails to anyone. Yeah sure i'll open the link you sent. ahdn_paul_01

hmrc.jpg

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Annadog40, Mr. Kite
He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
2 April 2014
8.34pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 504

Annadog40 said

vonbontee said

Maybe because, for all intents and purposes, they were 3rd world countries until fairly recently.  At least regarding the general populations' interaction with the rest of the world, which wasn't much.  Maybe it's not numbers so much as it is $$$?  USA certainly has those, and if we don't we mint more lol.  Interestingly, the list of artists who have sold over 250 million records is: The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.  Correct me if I'm wrong, not knowing how things were promoted in the UK, but the American artists, plus the Beatles, did a lot of self promotion, while Elton, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd didn't do a bunch of promotional videos and appearances.

So of the 7 best selling artists, there are  4 UK, 3 USA.  This page breaks down the best selling artists from (claimed) sales of over 600 million down to 75 million (which equates to certified sales from about 250 million to 25 million).  The Beatles and Elvis were the two highest with 600 million claimed sales, but the Beatles had 259 million certified, while Elvis only had around 200 million.  So yay fab four!

Half of what I say is meaningless...

"She said...And it's making me feel like my trousers are torn"

Help keep BeatlesBible alive! Use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes
2 April 2014
8.44pm
meanmistermustard

I've read in a number of places that sales of the Beatles records are over a billion - is that just rubbish then?

He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
2 April 2014
8.46pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Apple rooftop

This place says they've sold over 2 billion, but wikipedia only says 600 million.

(This signature brought to you by Winter. Coming for an abnormally long amount of time.)
2 April 2014
8.46pm
Annadog40
Apple rooftop

meanmistermustard said
I've read in a number of places that sales of the Beatles records are over a billion - is that just rubbish then?

A billion in money made or a billion records sold?

If you can't log in or can't access the forum, then head over to the unofficial back up forum and someone will help
2 April 2014
9.06pm
meanmistermustard

Records sold.

statisticbrain.com reports it as over 2 billion and uses Apple and RIAA as the sources.

Rolling Stones writes in their bibliography entry ". . . they went on to sell more than a billion records. . ."

Also found the ultimate question answered - "Will One Direction overtake Beatles?"

2 April 2014
9.19pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

statisticbrain.com reports it as over 2 billion and uses Apple and RIAA as the sources.

Rolling Stones writes in their bibliography entry ". . . they went on to sell more than a billion records. . ."

Also found the ultimate question answered - "Will One Direction overtake Beatles?"

@meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I'm starting the 1D Bible which you can find here.

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Annadog40

Can buy Joe love! If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes
2 April 2014
9.21pm
meanmistermustard

Mr. Kite said

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

@meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I'm starting the 1D Bible which you can find here.

Have you seen the stats? You might want to rethink your site.

2 April 2014
9.24pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop

@meanmistermustard Did you click the link?

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Annadog40

2 April 2014
9.26pm
Annadog40
Apple rooftop

Mr. Kite said

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I'm starting the 1D Bible which you can find here. <- - -

Wow that is a very extensive site

2 April 2014
9.38pm
meanmistermustard

Mr. Kite said

Yip and i saw a tons of stats about the Beatles achievements.

2 April 2014
9.40pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Apple rooftop

I just saw a picture of One Direction on Abbey Road, the Harry Potter saying "How dare you stand where they stood"

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Mr. Kite
2 April 2014
9.40pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop

meanmistermustard said

Mr. Kite said

Yip and i saw a tons of stats about the Beatles achievements.

I meant mine. I just want to make sure you know I'm joking, I saw all those great stats in your link.

I really need to stop with my sarcastic One Direction jokes... a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online:
48 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10050

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5327

Ahhh Girl: 5314

mithveaen: 4651