Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
2 April 2014
6.09pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6601sp_Permalink sp_Print

Even if the UK wins pop-musicwise (which is debatable), there’s still a whole world of jazz and blues and soul that the Brits can’t possibly hope to match.

(This shouldn’t be surprising – the USA is a big country! They’ve got the numbers on their side.)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

2 April 2014
6.26pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
6602sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Even if the UK wins pop-musicwise (which is debatable), there’s still a whole world of jazz and blues and soul that the Brits can’t possibly hope to match.

(This shouldn’t be surprising – the USA is a big country! They’ve got the numbers on their side.)

If its numbers why isn’t Indian or Chinese music as widespread?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

2 April 2014
8.28pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
6603sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said

That’s the point I made upthread on country and rap.

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Mr. Kite, Von Bontee

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

2 April 2014
8.29pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
6604sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

vonbontee said

@Starr Shine? They’re just not as musically appealing worldwide as other   genres, I doubt many Chinese listen to country music.

@vonbontee / @Von Bontee The US does really trump the UK jazz/blues wise. But I still think they’re ahead in rock/pop

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Von Bontee

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

2 April 2014
8.31pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
6605sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received the letter below (attached as a jpeg) in an email, supposedly from HMRC, as we all know they do all their business thru random emails to anyone. Yeah sure i’ll open the link you sent. ahdn_paul_01

hmrc.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Starr Shine?, Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 April 2014
8.34pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Annadog40 said

vonbontee said

Maybe because, for all intents and purposes, they were 3rd world countries until fairly recently.  At least regarding the general populations’ interaction with the rest of the world, which wasn’t much.  Maybe it’s not numbers so much as it is $$$?  USA certainly has those, and if we don’t we mint more lol.  Interestingly, the list of artists who have sold over 250 million records is: The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.  Correct me if I’m wrong, not knowing how things were promoted in the UK, but the American artists, plus the Beatles, did a lot of self promotion, while Elton, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd didn’t do a bunch of promotional videos and appearances.

So of the 7 best selling artists, there are  4 UK, 3 USA.  This page breaks down the best selling artists from (claimed) sales of over 600 million down to 75 million (which equates to certified sales from about 250 million to 25 million).  The Beatles and Elvis were the two highest with 600 million claimed sales, but the Beatles had 259 million certified, while Elvis only had around 200 million.  So yay fab four!

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

2 April 2014
8.44pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6607sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve read in a number of places that sales of the Beatles records are over a billion – is that just rubbish then?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 April 2014
8.46pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6608sp_Permalink sp_Print

This place says they’ve sold over 2 billion, but wikipedia only says 600 million.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

2 April 2014
8.46pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
6609sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I’ve read in a number of places that sales of the Beatles records are over a billion – is that just rubbish then?

A billion in money made or a billion records sold?

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

2 April 2014
9.06pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6610sp_Permalink sp_Print

Records sold.

statisticbrain.com reports it as over 2 billion and uses Apple and RIAA as the sources.

Rolling Stones writes in their bibliography entry “. . . they went on to sell more than a billion records. . .”

Also found the ultimate question answered – “Will One Direction overtake Beatles?

2 April 2014
9.19pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
6611sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

statisticbrain.com reports it as over 2 billion and uses Apple and RIAA as the sources.

Rolling Stones writes in their bibliography entry “. . . they went on to sell more than a billion records. . .”

Also found the ultimate question answered – “Will One Direction overtake Beatles?

@meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I’m starting the 1D Bible which you can find here.

Starr Shine?

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

2 April 2014
9.21pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6612sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mr. Kite said

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

@meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I’m starting the 1D Bible which you can find here.

Have you seen the stats? You might want to rethink your site.

2 April 2014
9.24pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
6613sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meanmistermustard Did you click the link?

Starr Shine?

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

2 April 2014
9.26pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members

Mr. Kite said

meanmistermustard said
Records sold.

meanmistermustard Obviously! Which is why I’m starting the 1D Bible which you can find here. <- – –

Wow that is a very extensive site

2 April 2014
9.38pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6615sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mr. Kite said

Yip and i saw a tons of stats about the Beatles achievements.

2 April 2014
9.40pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6616sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just saw a picture of One Direction on Abbey Road , the Harry Potter saying “How dare you stand where they stood”

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Mr. Kite

2 April 2014
9.40pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
6617sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Mr. Kite said

Yip and i saw a tons of stats about the Beatles achievements.

I meant mine. I just want to make sure you know I’m joking, I saw all those great stats in your link.

I really need to stop with my sarcastic One Direction jokes… a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

2 April 2014
9.48pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6618sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got your sarcasm MR. K., no one really thinks 1D are better, they say they are but they know down inside they are not. apple01

2 April 2014
9.51pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
6619sp_Permalink sp_Print

They can’t really be taken seriously. They don’t write their own songs or play their instruments. They’re really a vocal group.

2 April 2014
9.57pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
6620sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I got your sarcasm MR. K., no one really thinks 1D are better, they say they are but they know down inside they are not. apple01

Just making sure because music is the only area where I care what other people think I think.

If anyone honesty feels that way they must have very bad musical taste and/or never have heard the Beatles.

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
They can’t really be taken seriously. They don’t write their own songs or play their instruments. They’re really a vocal group.

Aren’t they just a vocal group? I mean I didn’t think they claimed to be anything else.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694