Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
23 January 2014
11.48pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You won’t while he’s in prison and they’re making him a Beleiber! Ouch!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

23 January 2014
11.59pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
5722sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

He won’t go to prison. If anything he’ll get a heavy fine and suspended sentence, probably in exchange for an autograph and signed goodies for the judge to give to his 7 year old die-hard Beiber fan daughter.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 January 2014
12.07am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
5723sp_Permalink sp_Print

Speaking of nothing related to this topic…

For an assignment for one of my classes, I had to write a letter to somebody important…

Of course, I wrote to Paul McCartney

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

24 January 2014
12.11am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

meanmistermustard said

mja6758 said

He won’t go to prison. If anything he’ll get a heavy fine and suspended sentence, probably in exchange for an autograph and signed goodies for the judge to give to his 7 year old die-hard Beiber fan daughter.

I’m not sure. I can’t remember the last time someone in his position was sent straight to jail without passing bail without already having a record (Lohan, etc). Maybe America is getting sick of these brats?

EDIT: Damn! They’ve just released the little feck on bail!

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

24 January 2014
12.28am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said
The bad news: Amazon Canada were just BSing me when they said they were ‘processing’ the order for my Dylan 47 CD box.

The good news: They assure me they will send it out today with a free upgrade to priority delivery – given this is a BIG box I couldn’t afford this option before so it is around a $40 bonus.

Well, well, well. Congrats. Let’s see if it can make it to you in two days.

Surprise, surprise – now they tell me they don’t have any – yet it was sent to a friend by them 2 days ago who ordered after me – bunch of clowns.  Back on the waiting list limbo for a while :(

Pull something out of that lovely big stack you have to ease the pain, trc. *I will not put a clown picture here. Will refrain. Nope, quit looking at them, Ahhh Girl.*

@Necko, can you share any of the letter with us?

@ASJ, congrats. I “after the watershed” something like “after prime time” or “late night”?

24 January 2014
12.32am
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
5726sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said
The bad news: Amazon Canada were just BSing me when they said they were ‘processing’ the order for my Dylan 47 CD box.

The good news: They assure me they will send it out today with a free upgrade to priority delivery – given this is a BIG box I couldn’t afford this option before so it is around a $40 bonus.

Surprise, surprise – now they tell me they don’t have any – yet it was sent to a friend by them 2 days ago who ordered after me – bunch of clowns.  Back on the waiting list limbo for a while :(

Pull something out of that lovely big stack you have to ease the pain, trc. *I will not put a clown picture here. Will refrain. Nope, quit looking at them, Ahhh Girl.*

@ASJ, congrats. I “after the watershed” something like “after prime time” or “late night”?

What happens if you put a clown pic up?

24 January 2014
1.02am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
5727sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sky999 said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

What happens if you put a clown pic up?

Anyone who looks at it is killed within 24 hours? Well they would be if it was this clown.

2Q==Image Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 January 2014
1.06am
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059

9k=Image Enlarger

These clowns will turn people into Juggalos. a-hard-days-night-george-10

24 January 2014
3.35am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5729sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did I miss the memo about each of us being able to delete our own posts again? We can. Very nice.

24 January 2014
4.24am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
5730sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

It’s not that I mind sharing, but I didn’t really say anything interesting, just a bunch of ass-kissing.  Still, despite what I just said, everything in the letter was true.  I just said (heavy paraphrasing completely from memory, some parts left out for the sake of brevity) thank you for the great music over the years, The Beatles are my favorite band of all time, Sgt. Pepper is my favorite album of all time, New is one of my favorite records of 2013, your music has been a huge part of my life, etc. etc.

It’s funny because we were supposed to make this seem like a semi-formal letter.  We had a sample template to follow.  Where I got stuck was the very top of the letter.  The example said “Dear Mr. [last name].”  Now I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never written to anyone who has been knighted.  I wasn’t sure if it was technically correct to say “Sir McCartney,” so I just ended up saying “Sir Paul McCartney .”

24 January 2014
2.44pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5731sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
Good news everyone, I have made it in the acting world (apparently) Seems as if I was on the television for a play I did a while ago, my phone was just buzzing with people saying ‘you’re on the telly’. The only people have ever heard on the telly is my phone so seeing my face is like a-hard-days-night-ringo-6Well good on them for broadcasting it after the watershed, I think little children would be crying if they saw my face brian-epstein

Aw, congrats! Don’t forget about us when you’re worldwide famous :)

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

24 January 2014
3.54pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5732sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just saw the rest of Funny Paper’s avatar for the first time. George Harrison ‘s signature is so nice.

A1e1dgiihbL._SL1500_.jpgImage Enlarger

24 January 2014
3.59pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5733sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Harrison ‘s signature is so nice.

Yeah, I love the big, curly ‘G’ and ‘H’ a-hard-days-night-george-9

I wish I had nicer handwriting, but I feel a bit old to sit there writing out the letters like they do in nursery school :)

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

24 January 2014
4.15pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5734sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^^ I agree, my writing is pretty awful :/ Every year except ‘junior infants’ (i.e Kindergarten, I guess?) I got ‘fair’ in my handwriting ahdn_george_07 I don’t even do joined handwriting, whether I’m just lazy or always in a rush I don’t know

fabfouremily said

AppleScruffJunior said
Good news everyone, I have made it in the acting world (apparently) Seems as if I was on the television for a play I did a while ago, my phone was just buzzing with people saying ‘you’re on the telly’. The only people have ever heard on the telly is my phone so seeing my face is like a-hard-days-night-ringo-6Well good on them for broadcasting it after the watershed, I think little children would be crying if they saw my face brian-epstein

Aw, congrats! Don’t forget about us when you’re worldwide famous :)
I’ll thank ye in my Oscar speech ahdn_ringo_09 ‘Cheers to the forum that helped me confirm that my obsession with The Beatles is normal’ yoko-ono_01

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

24 January 2014
4.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5735sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, I’m not sure where this should be, so I’m putting it here. If a mod can spot the thread it should be in, please move.

I was involved in a discussion where Something  came up, and who it was about. Whatever the context was, somebody came up with a ’70s/’80s quote where George denied it was about Pattie.

I am dipping in and out of the Kevin Howlett’s The BBC Archives at the moment, which includes many transcriptions of interviews that they gave to the BBC. Here is an exchange between David Wigg and and George in October 1969, much closer to the time of the song’s writing, and before he had a second wife.

DW: What inspired Something , for example?
GH: Maybe Pattie, probably.

So, which is true? George talking about it years later, when it would be difficult to say out loud that a song considered one of the great love songs was about his former – not current – wife, or a sheepish statement made within months of it being written where he says it was Pattie?

This is the problem with The Beatles, as I often say, that contemporary quotes are often contradicted by retrospective quotes.

24 January 2014
5.08pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953
5736sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said 

This is the problem with The Beatles, as I often say, that contemporary quotes are often contradicted by retrospective quotes.

I think that John Lennon nails it here, start the video at the 47:16 mark for his explanation on this occurrence…:-)

24 January 2014
10.00pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
5737sp_Permalink sp_Print

Billy Rhythm said

mja6758 said 
This is the problem with The Beatlescontemporary quotes are often contradicted by retrospective quotes.

I think that John Lennon nails it here, start the video at the 47:16 mark for his explanation on this occurrence…:-)

I think you are absolutely correct – great example. I think the “problem” stems from the amount of times they were asked the same questions. In most interviews with the boys as a group or singly, they look completely bored. Every once in a while a really good question got asked and you would see them perk up all of a sudden.

This is not exactly the same, but one summer I had a cast on my arm after some surgery to repair tendons that were damaged by a rather nasty, deep wound on my thumb of all places. After the 457,918th time I was asked “what happened to your arm?”, I started making things up and telling each person something different because I got so bored with the question (my favorite and most imaginative involved lion taming lessons). 

In reading Lewisohn’s book, I often think what a tough job it must be to sift through all of the contradictory info.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 January 2014
12.34am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
5738sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^ Also, it’s highly unlikely that the Beatles thought at the time about people closely studying their interviews so many years later. That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with doing so, but they probably just thought of most of their interviews as “just another interview” (which is kind of the same thing you just said).

And if you study any other band/musician/celebrity close enough, this is hardly exclusive to the Beatles. Getting asked the same questions repeatedly is just one of the more unpleasant parts of being famous, I suppose…

A

25 January 2014
3.39pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

Daily quiz from a local radio station:

Today’s question! … Name a great successful rock band whose members NEVER changed, from its inception to its demise, on all recordings and tours AND who had a career that lasted over 10 years. Other than the greatest band ever, Led Zeppelin. ….? (I can name two others who were pretty good, altho’ not as great as the mighty Zep! And NO, NOT Rush or ZZ Top!)

So far people aren’t doing a great job at reading, and from what I can tell, only Talking Heads and Los Lobos have made the grade.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

25 January 2014
4.22pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5740sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
Daily quiz from a local radio station:

Today’s question! … Name a great successful rock band whose members NEVER changed, from its inception to its demise, on all recordings and tours AND who had a career that lasted over 10 years. Other than the greatest band ever, Led Zeppelin. ….? (I can name two others who were pretty good, altho’ not as great as the mighty Zep! And NO, NOT Rush or ZZ Top!)

So far people aren’t doing a great job at reading, and from what I can tell, only Talking Heads and Los Lobos have made the grade.

parlance

Well, They Might Be Giants has been run by the same 2 guys (John Linnell and John Flansburgh) for 32 years, but I doubt that’s what the local radio station is going for.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691