Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
13 January 2014
6.00pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5561sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just read something horrible that happened.

This 17 year old immigrant girl (yes, the immigrant part is relevant. Btw, there are a lot of them in the Netherlands, most of them Turkish or Maroccan, or Antilian) was shopping in a city called the Hague with a friend when she suddenly got a diabetic attack. At that point she was in the Hema, a warehouse and thought it’d be smart to shoot some insulin in a fitting room. Then, all of a sudden, the curtains were pulled aside agressively and two security men grabbed her arms. They had mistaken her for a drug addict. She didn’t really understand the situation and when they told her they’d bring her over to the police, she got so scared she wet herself a little. They then smacked her face against the wall, held her and took her to the office, for further examination. Her friend also tried to explain what happened, but they didn’t listen. She called the girl’s mom, who came over immediately, but couldn’t get in to the office, and wasn’t let in. The girl showed her medicines to prove she is a diabetic, but the branch manager didn’t believe her and said that was a good lie to get out sooner, and that all those immigrants are the same. 

I don’t know how or why but eventually she could go, after some more nasty discriminating remarks. She was smacked against the wall a few times and had wounds from the security men who had treated her so rough. Also, she got a fine because she lost a bit of urine. I think this is so ridiculous. She is now going to sue to warehouse and I hope she will win the case. I can’t believe some people, ugh. 

13 January 2014
6.32pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
5562sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

This 17 year old immigrant girl (yes, the immigrant part is relevant. Btw, there are a lot of them in the Netherlands, most of them Turkish or Maroccan, or Antilian) was shopping in a city called the Hague with a friend when she suddenly got a diabetic attack. At that point she was in the Hema, a warehouse and thought it’d be smart to shoot some insulin in a fitting room. Then, all of a sudden, the curtains were pulled aside agressively and two security men grabbed her arms. They had mistaken her for a drug addict. She didn’t really understand the situation and when they told her they’d bring her over to the police, she got so scared she wet herself a little. They then smacked her face against the wall, held her and took her to the office, for further examination. Her friend also tried to explain what happened, but they didn’t listen. She called the girl’s mom, who came over immediately, but couldn’t get in to the office, and wasn’t let in. The girl showed her medicines to prove she is a diabetic, but the branch manager didn’t believe her and said that was a good lie to get out sooner, and that all those immigrants are the same. 

I don’t know how or why but eventually she could go, after some more nasty discriminating remarks. She was smacked against the wall a few times and had wounds from the security men who had treated her so rough. Also, she got a fine because she lost a bit of urine. I think this is so ridiculous. She is now going to sue to warehouse and I hope she will win the case. I can’t believe some people, ugh. 

That sounds horrible. Humans suck.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

13 January 2014
9.14pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5563sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I rather feel like a dunce. I just now realized that since the middle of last July when I ripped my Anthology 1 to put it on my mp3 player, I forgot, overlooked, and/or didn’t realize it was a 2 disc set. I’ve only had part 2 this whole time. I’ll rectify that situation now.

Oh my! :)

I find the first CD the most interesting of the 4 I have listened to so far (Vol 1 and Vol 2), just for the historical stuff I hadn’t heard before and which I personally find more interesting than alternate takes etc.  Vol 3 is the next on my list of things to listen to, but taking my son to see the new Hobbit movie later today so maybe tomorrow.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

13 January 2014
9.45pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
5564sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven’t even seen the first Hobbit movie in it’s entirety. I tried to watch it once, but after an hour I was too tired so I went to bed. Saturday I tried to watch it again, but after one and a half hour I was just so bored, couldn’t bear to watch the rest of it. I was a bit surprised that I found it so boring. Usually I love those kind of films. Knowing myself, I’ll probably try to watch the rest of it anyway, just out of curiosity.

13 January 2014
9.51pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5565sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
I haven’t even seen the first Hobbit movie in it’s entirety. I tried to watch it once, but after an hour I was too tired so I went to bed. Saturday I tried to watch it again, but after one and a half hour I was just so bored, couldn’t bear to watch the rest of it. I was a bit surprised that I found it so boring. Usually I love those kind of films. Knowing myself, I’ll probably try to watch the rest of it anyway, just out of curiosity.

It’s one of my favorites, but it’s not for everyone. The 2nd one isn’t as good as the first either (except for one scene) so if you’re bored by the first one, don’t even try for the second. Although there are some cool fight scenes.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

13 January 2014
10.12pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5566sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

Linde said

It’s one of my favorites, but it’s not for everyone. The 2nd one isn’t as good as the first either (except for one scene) so if you’re bored by the first one, don’t even try for the second. Although there are some cool fight scenes.

Interesting, most of the reviews for the 2nd one are better.  Will let you know what I thought tomorrow.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

14 January 2014
11.41am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5567sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got back from the cinema – thought it flowed better than the first, though it was far less faithful to the book (a bit like the 2nd Lord of the Rings movie in that way).  My son loved it which is the main thing.

14 January 2014
1.48pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5568sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I’ve just had a LOVELY last couple of days… got hit hard with a fever and am only now getting over it. The last two days, I’ve had the shivers, the aches, the hallucinations (seriously), was running a 103 degree temperature and the only food I ate over the last two days was a peanut butter sandwich and saltine crackers with Sprite. I stayed home from work yesterday and spent the majority of the day in bed. (The wife now thinks I’m a wuss. It only took 4 years of marriage for her to figure this out. a-hard-days-night-george-10)  I feel much better this morning and am able to resume regular duties, but wow if I never get a fever again it’ll be a blessing. I still can’t get that nasty “sick” taste out of my mouth, but I can live with that.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

14 January 2014
1.55pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5569sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since it’s only one book, and it’s a pretty short book at that, they had to add a BUNCH of stuff to it to make it fill 3 movies.

14 January 2014
2.31pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
5570sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said
Well, I’ve just had a LOVELY last couple of days… got hit hard with a fever and am only now getting over it. The last two days, I’ve had the shivers, the aches, the hallucinations (seriously), was running a 103 degree temperature and the only food I ate over the last two days was a peanut butter sandwich and saltine crackers with Sprite. I stayed home from work yesterday and spent the majority of the day in bed. (The wife now thinks I’m a wuss. It only took 4 years of marriage for her to figure this out. a-hard-days-night-george-10)  I feel much better this morning and am able to resume regular duties, but wow if I never get a fever again it’ll be a blessing. I still can’t get that nasty “sick” taste out of my mouth, but I can live with that.

Glad you are on the mend, wetsroosa. Do we want to know the content of those hallucinations? a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

14 January 2014
3.01pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097

Ahhh Girl said

wetsroosa said

Glad you are on the mend, wetsroosa. Do we want to know the content of those hallucinations? a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

Nothing exciting- just black polka dots or red stars that would show up at random when I would stare at a wall. And they only lasted for like 5-10 seconds. Now, if it had been a vision of a reunited Beatles or Jennifer Lawrence in various states of undress, it would have been far more enjoyable, but alas…

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

14 January 2014
3.05pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5572sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

Ahhh Girl said

wetsroosa said

Nothing exciting- just black polka dots or red stars that would show up at random when I would stare at a wall. And they only lasted for like 5-10 seconds. Now, if it had been a vision of a reunited Beatles or Jennifer Lawrence in various states of undress, it would have been far more enjoyable, but alas…

Well, if you do get to have hallucinations in the future, we will hope for them to come from a better experience and lead to a better experience.

14 January 2014
5.07pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5573sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said 

That’s absolutely horrible.. I’m surprised they’re even allowed to treat her like that. Obviously, though in this case they were (very) wrong, they have to be tough with people who are doing something illegal, but what’s this about smacking her face against the wall? I feel sorry for the poor girl, especially because, as you say, the fact that she’s not Dutch is relevant it seems.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

14 January 2014
6.39pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
5574sp_Permalink sp_Print

A couple on safari have been attacked by an Elephant whilst in their car, the elephant was put down.

Forgive me but if you go up close to wild animal, be it an elephant, cow, horse, lion, monkey or any other in its habitat then its your fault if it attacks, putting it down was a ridiculous decision. Any driver should know full well you stay behind it and let it move on. This has annoyed me.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 January 2014
6.57pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
5575sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can’t blame the elephant for that. 

In other elephant news, one has been eating out of the Pearls Before Swine characters trashcan. That strip is the best. The author is a Beatles fan, too. http://www.gocomics.com/pearls…..tWITPRDuSo

In a related question, how do you get the links to be words? Like if I wanted the “Pearls Before Swine” in the previous sentence to be a link, instead of putting it at the end.

14 January 2014
7.11pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

In other elephant news, one has been eating out of the Pearls Before Swine characters trashcan. That strip is the best. The author is a Beatles fan, too. http://www.gocomics.com/pearls…..tWITPRDuSo

In a related question, how do you get the links to be words? Like if I wanted the “Pearls Before Swine” in the previous sentence to be a link, instead of putting it at the end.

1. Select the text you wish to be the link,
  2. click the icon in the text toolbar (along from B, I, U etc – looks like a chain link, like in the picture below),  
  3. a pop-up box will appear, paste in the link where it says “Link URL”
  4. press the “insert” button

seamless-chrome-chain.jpgImage Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 January 2014
7.20pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5577sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

1. Select the text you wish to be the link,
      1. click the icon in the text toolbar (along from B, I, U etc – looks like a chain link, like in the picture below),  
        1. a pop-up box will appear, paste in the link where it says “Link URL”
          1. press the “insert” button

seamless-chrome-chain.jpgImage Enlarger

Just to add on to mmm’s instructions, you can choose for the link to pop up in the same window or in a separate window.

14 January 2014
          7.38pm
          IveJustSeenAFaceo
          Rishikesh
          Members

Reviewers

14 January 2014
          7.42pm
          Ron Nasty
          Apple rooftop
          Members

Reviewers
          Forum Posts: 12534
          5579sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Answer is Paul McCartney and John Lennon Wikipedia discographies.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
          The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 January 2014
          8.05pm
          IveJustSeenAFaceo
          Rishikesh
          Members

Reviewers
          5580sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
          The Answer is Paul McCartney and John Lennon Wikipedia discographies.

Excellent, it works.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
          Most Users Ever Online: 700
          Currently Online: Sea Belt
          Guest(s) 1
          Top Posters:
          Starr Shine?: 16105
          Ron Nasty: 12534
          Zig: 9832
          50yearslate: 8759
          Necko: 8043
          AppleScruffJunior: 7583
          parlance: 7111
          mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
          Mr. Kite: 6147
          trcanberra: 6064
          Member Stats:
          Guest Posters: 88
          Members: 2859
          Moderators: 5
          Admins: 1
          Forum Stats:
          Groups: 3
          Forums: 44
          Topics: 5519
          Newest Members:
          NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
          Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
          Administrators: Joe: 5694