The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 274 | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
No permission to create posts
5 January 2014
2.00am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17138
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said
Oh - another 1066 fact - '1066 And All That' is one of my favourite books.

I just looked the book up on WorldCat, and a ton of libraries have it (the original or one of the reprints). Must be pretty darn good.

This very well might be it - chapters 1 - 15. If not then, well it's not.a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Its 2:34am, i'm very tired, yet England are about to start batting in the final innings of the Ashes needing 448 runs to avoid a 5 - 0 and the thought of watching them being thrashed again is so appealing. I'd last 4 minutes. ahdn_paul_01

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
5 January 2014
2.43am
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5545
5467sp_Permalink

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

I just looked the book up on WorldCat, and a ton of libraries have it (the original or one of the reprints). Must be pretty darn good.

This very well might be it - chapters 1 - 15. If not then, well it's not.a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Its 2:34am, i'm very tired, yet England are about to start batting in the final innings of the Ashes needing 448 runs to avoid a 5 - 0 and the thought of watching them being thrashed again is so appealing. I'd last 4 minutes. ahdn_paul_01

Only 448?  They'll get that before tea won't they?

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (engaged for those not in the know!) <==
5 January 2014
2.50am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17138
5468sp_Permalink

trcanberra said

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

trcanberra said

Only 448?  They'll get that before tea won't they?

They very well could be all out by tea. 1 wicket gone already after scoring 7 (seven) runs. Scotland are dreadful at cricket but even we could put up a better show than England are at the moment - just.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
5 January 2014
4.40am
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5545
5 January 2014
4.45am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2847
5473sp_Permalink

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
I've been meaning to ask someone about this, but how does cricket work? Wickets, batsmen, bowlers, runs. It's like a cross between croquet, baseball, and bowling it sounds like. But, really, can someone explain it? 

Umm - how long do you have?  :)

It's like someone in the US trying to explain the tactical intricacies of American Football to the rest of the world.  Just the blocking patterns on different plays are mind-boggling.

OK - here goes:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Well, it's the clearest explanation I've heard, so I'll take it.a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

(This signature brought to you by Spaghetti Tuesdays. Occurring on Wednesdays since 2013.)

5 January 2014
4.56am
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1112
5476sp_Permalink

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
I've been meaning to ask someone about this, but how does cricket work? Wickets, batsmen, bowlers, runs. It's like a cross between croquet, baseball, and bowling it sounds like. But, really, can someone explain it? 

Umm - how long do you have?  :)

It's like someone in the US trying to explain the tactical intricacies of American Football to the rest of the world.  Just the blocking patterns on different plays are mind-boggling.

OK - here goes:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

It's confusing enough for Americans sometimes, too.

My team got eliminated tonight. ahdn_paul_01The long march towards the Super Bowl win that'll never come continues...

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."
5 January 2014
5.11am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2847

Rodgers to Cobb! (Or was it Nelson, I forget?) One of the two. I was pretty much fixated on Kansas City/San Diego. Curse Ryan Succop.

Edit: Ooo, I'm on the Ed Sullivan Show, that's fun.

(This signature brought to you by Spaghetti Tuesdays. Occurring on Wednesdays since 2013.)

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Necko, Annadog40, Merch
46 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17131

Ahhh Girl: 10745

Annadog40: 9719

Zig: 7548

parlance: 7092