Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
14 December 2013
11.51pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5321sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
^^^ My puppy Gavin died on Christmas Day from heartburn, I can’t believe Gav is gone

I’ll let myself out

How long ago did this happen, ASJ? {hugs}

My dad died on Christmas day 1993. He had been in a condition like Terry Schiavo’s for 15 years. His cerebral hemorrhage happened when I was 10. I’ve described before (I think in this thread) how dedicated my mom was to taking care of him. His death was actually a blessing and relief to our family.

15 December 2013
12.22am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
5322sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

You see – that is really evil!!  Those of us who took the opportunity to get up to some major mischief in the mistaken belief that no one would have any evidence of what we did are now just waiting for the lawsuits to come :)

“The internet never forgets.” ;-D

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

15 December 2013
12.27am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
5323sp_Permalink sp_Print

ASJ, I’m sorry about your puppy. The holidays are a tough time to lose a pet (I lost my first cat two Decembers ago), and I can only imagine how devastating it must have been to have it happen on Christmas.

Ahhh Girl, my deepest condolences.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

15 December 2013
12.36am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24961
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
5324sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry to hear that AG; i remember you posting about your dad, mum and everything as she sounded quite incredible considering what she withstood and did, but never knew what day it was on (not that the day it happens on matters much in the slightest).

[I never know what to say when reading about the loss of an animal or someone someone knows (family, friend, whatever) as the words sound so meaningless and empty and wrong.]

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 December 2013
12.39am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
5325sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

[I never know what to say when reading about the loss of an animal or someone someone knows (family, friend, whatever) as the words sound so meaningless and empty and wrong.]

I feel that way too. But when I’ve been on the receiving end, any kind word has been a comfort.

parlance

15 December 2013
1.28am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5326sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

meanmistermustard said

I feel that way too. But when I’ve been on the receiving end, any kind word has been a comfort.

parlance

Totally. And it doesn’t even have to spoken word(s); just a look, smile, even just a person’s presence or knowing you are in their thoughts can make so much difference and offer so much comfort in difficult and sad times.

It brings to mind that picture taken by Astrid where John is in the attic broken up over the death of Stu and George is standing behind him like a protector and consoler.

astrid1Image Enlarger

Also reminds me of what John said about his Beatle-mates, that all they had to do was look at each other and they all knew where they were going, that special connection that broke past words and that no one else could penetrate.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 December 2013
2.33am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5327sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Sorry to hear that AG; i remember you posting about your dad, mum and everything as she sounded quite incredible considering what she withstood and did, but never knew what day it was on (not that the day it happens on matters much in the slightest).

It’s all ok, mmm. Thanks to you and parlance for the sweet thoughts in my direction.

My dad’s hemorrhage happened on Labor Day, 1978.

15 December 2013
3.36pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

Sometimes just a simple ”Hey, I’m here for you” or ”Hey, we’re thinking of you” can do a lot.

But it’s always hard and every person is different in that aspect.

Yesterday was my unlucky day. I was at work and had counted the money in my cash register in my boss’ office. So I wanted to put the empty cash drawer away (the money goes in a safe) and had to walk down a stairs. I slipped and hit the cash drawer in my face. I fell on my butt, hurt my elbows and legs and my face too of course. I had keys in my backpockets so they cut in my butt and it hurt like hell. I’ve got a huge bruise and sitting is a bit problematic. Sleeping was hard as well. Everytime I wanted to roll over I woke up and had to lift myself to roll to the other side. Oh and when I walk I look like an idiot. I think I should’ve gone home when my boss asked me to, instead of working for another few hours. Stubborn me.

15 December 2013
4.10pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
5329sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

Yesterday was my unlucky day. I was at work and had counted the money in my cash register in my boss’ office. So I wanted to put the empty cash drawer away (the money goes in a safe) and had to walk down a stairs. I slipped and hit the cash drawer in my face. I fell on my butt, hurt my elbows and legs and my face too of course. I had keys in my backpockets so they cut in my butt and it hurt like hell. I’ve got a huge bruise and sitting is a bit problematic. Sleeping was hard as well. Everytime I wanted to roll over I woke up and had to lift myself to roll to the other side. Oh and when I walk I look like an idiot. I think I should’ve gone home when my boss asked me to, instead of working for another few hours. Stubborn me.

Yikes! All inanimate objects conspired against you yesterday! Here’s to a speedy recovery.

parlance

15 December 2013
4.22pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5330sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

Linde said

Yikes! All inanimate objects conspired against you yesterday! Here’s to a speedy recovery.

parlance

That hurts just to read about it. Hope you mend quickly.

15 December 2013
6.35pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I hope you heal soon Linde. Sounds damn painful. Have you taken time off work to recover? 

To avoid a double-post.

The BBC report on a wedding proposal in the Braehead shopping centre just outside Glasgow where a guy hired flashmob dancers to lay on the surprise proposal for his girlfriend. It is such an adorable thing to do and thankfully she said yes.heart

15 December 2013
7.40pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5332sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 That video right after the Dylan song about John = a few tears.

*shakes off sentimental feelings*

Have any of you found your birth year word?

OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?

Hubby’s is the word Beatlesque :-) heart

I got “gasp.”a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

15 December 2013
7.54pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ahhh Girl said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 That video right after the Dylan song about John = a few tears.

Hubby’s is the word Beatlesque :-)heart

Your word is very appropriate AG all things considered. Was meant to be.

Did anyone click on the link for the origin of the word, the first one given is “1964 Chron.-Telegram (Elyria, Ohio) 19 Aug. 39/2   A boy with a Beatlesque mop was pinned against the wall by two 14-year-olds.”.

I got “chill pill” as my words.

15 December 2013
8.12pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5334sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

Hubby’s is the word Beatlesque :-)heart

Your word is very appropriate AG all things considered. Was meant to be.

Did anyone click on the link for the origin of the word, the first one given is “1964 Chron.-Telegram (Elyria, Ohio) 19 Aug. 39/2   A boy with a Beatlesque mop was pinned against the wall by two 14-year-olds.”.

I got “chill pill” as my words.

I thought my word was quite apropos a-hard-days-night-paul-7.

The word for my dad is “eek” which has a similar meaning to mine. Mine and my dad’s birth years also make both of us *monkeys* in the Chinese zodiac. I wonder how close he and I would have been if he had been ok during my teen and young adult years?

15 December 2013
8.21pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5335sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
Sometimes just a simple ”Hey, I’m here for you” or ”Hey, we’re thinking of you” can do a lot.

But it’s always hard and every person is different in that aspect.

Ah – not good – hope you are much better very soon.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

15 December 2013
9.17pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5336sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s all right everyone, my joke seemingly crashed and burned and no puppies that have passed through my threshold have died. I guess that it is quite an obscure joke and (according to wiki only UK/Irish/Australian would get it so)

So one of the #1 medicines to treat heartburn in Ireland is called Gaviscon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFCBv_J7aSl5dYAwNg81EYaGR4E_FzV2ssrkk8xxhvNlRsqZFqkgImage Enlarger

Hence I can’t believe Gavin, my puppy died from heartburn, I can’t believe “Gav is gone” But it backfired horribly, to make it all up to ye I shall post cute puppy pictures

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfEuvZT6qSsh8wniNfqMR4VUSd8nSJx_k0RJb8vTPqixKSmSxuzAImage Enlarger
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyoGdQ5cN2iGeDEw9hb6F7i7d02VaYILNC5ZLL8QMeeWLo4HcOUAImage Enlarger

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=IJdQNtZLYcLGKM&tbnid=YdSM63HKOr6nSM:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-MI3Zx7vn5Gc%2FURJze3G8NII%2FAAAAAAAAWeI%2FXEf5u-vs4nE%2Fs1600%2Fpaul_mccartney_dog_martha_the_beatles.jpg&ei=cxuuUoD6LIKshQeZ2oHYBg&psig=AFQjCNH4Sg9dAl0EuLwdiEelEVzNmwnPlw&ust=1387228403803842Image Enlarger

Oh and also a big thanks to Ahhh Girl for telling me about borrowbooks.ie, I have just ordered about 4 out-of-print Beatles book which is great seeing as  I didn’t want to pay Pauline Sutcliffe any money for her book so happy days!

Furthermore my birthday word is “hacktivism”

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

15 December 2013
9.29pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5337sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
It’s all right everyone, my joke seemingly crashed and burned and no puppies that have passed through my threshold have died. I guess that it is quite an obscure joke and (according to wiki only UK/Irish/Australian would get it so)

So one of the #1 medicines to treat heartburn in Ireland is called Gaviscon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFCBv_J7aSl5dYAwNg81EYaGR4E_FzV2ssrkk8xxhvNlRsqZFqkgImage Enlarger

Hence I can’t believe Gavin, my puppy died from heartburn, I can’t believe “Gav is gone” But it backfired horribly, to make it all up to ye I shall post cute puppy pictures

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfEuvZT6qSsh8wniNfqMR4VUSd8nSJx_k0RJb8vTPqixKSmSxuzAImage Enlarger
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyoGdQ5cN2iGeDEw9hb6F7i7d02VaYILNC5ZLL8QMeeWLo4HcOUAImage Enlarger

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=IJdQNtZLYcLGKM&tbnid=YdSM63HKOr6nSM:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-MI3Zx7vn5Gc%2FURJze3G8NII%2FAAAAAAAAWeI%2FXEf5u-vs4nE%2Fs1600%2Fpaul_mccartney_dog_martha_the_beatles.jpg&ei=cxuuUoD6LIKshQeZ2oHYBg&psig=AFQjCNH4Sg9dAl0EuLwdiEelEVzNmwnPlw&ust=1387228403803842Image Enlarger

Oh and also a big thanks to Ahhh Girl for telling me about borrowbooks.ie, I have just ordered about 4 out-of-print Beatles book which is great seeing as  I didn’t want to pay Pauline Sutcliffe any money for her book so happy days!

Furthermore my birthday word is “hacktivism”

The puppies are adorable. Glad you really don’t have the memory of a pup leaving you on Christmas.

Sweet! Glad you ordered the books. Keep us posted on how long it takes to get the books to your library. I’d be curious to know if the books travel between libraries via regular mail/post or a special courier services set up by Irish libraries. Let us know which libraries lent the books to you via the service. I love seeing all the property stamps on ILL items.

I left my home state specifically for a job as the head of an interlibrary loan department. I think it is a wonderful service. I’ve since moved to the cataloging department, but ILL will always be my first love.

15 December 2013
9.31pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
5338sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Hubby’s is the word Beatlesque :-) heart

Mine is “bagsy.” Really. ahdn_paul_01

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

15 December 2013
9.36pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5339sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have ordered from Roscommon, Galway and Clare County Libraries… I won’t have them for Christmas unless some miracle occurs. Unfortunately Carlow Library has Allan ‘where’s my commission’ William’s book but they don’t lend on borrowbooks.ie Blah!

I will keep you informed

Chuck_Norris_salute.gifImage Enlarger

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

15 December 2013
9.53pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5340sp_Permalink sp_Print

borrowbooks.ie looks like one very good service. What Beatles books did you order?

Glad to hear no puppies have come to any harm.

How adorable is this one

150.jpgImage Enlarger

and these two

6547588.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: vonbontee, meanmistermustard, Richard, Something
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24960, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694