Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
25 November 2013
9.24pm
WETSRoosa
Mountains of East Tennessee
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1097
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5181sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
Thanks everyone!!

Anyone wanna buy a house in Maine? Gently used, only one owner.

I’d take you up on it, but I don’t think my country mouse wife would want to move to New England.

"There's no such thing as bad student... only bad teacher."

26 November 2013
2.48am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24960
5182sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just found an email from my local library (arrived in my email account at 1:30am in the morning!) informing me that the latest Dylan cd i ordered, The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revu, has arrived and is waiting for me to pick up. 

Librarys’ rock.a-hard-days-night-john-5a-hard-days-night-john-3a-hard-days-night-john-1

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 November 2013
2.50am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
5183sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
Hi all – I haven’t been around much lately due to some exciting developments. My wife and I have both accepted promotions and will be moving to Pennsylvania very soon.

It is exciting but also very scary as we still haven’t sold our current house, have no new house to move to yet and the holidays are coming!!paul-mccartney

Anyway, if I’m not around much in the near future, I will be after the dust settles. Wish me luck – gonna need plenty!!

Congrats to you both and good luck!  a-hard-days-night-john-6

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

26 November 2013
3.15am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
5184sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Just found an email from my local library (arrived in my email account at 1:30am in the morning!) informing me that the latest Dylan cd i ordered, The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revu, has arrived and is waiting for me to pick up. 

Librarys’ rock.a-hard-days-night-john-5a-hard-days-night-john-3a-hard-days-night-john-1

tumblr_mdab4yTD7y1rrw3rao1_500.gifImage Enlarger

You’re happy. John’s happy.

And a little weirdness from a library in Canada.

389406_362145690545030_559422647_n.jpgImage Enlarger

26 November 2013
3.54am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5185sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Speaking of books, well, sort of.

Due to my ornery nature these days I have been ‘between contracts’ for a couple of months.  During that time, apart from Beatles catch-up expenses, I bought an old 19th century set of Encyclopaedia Britannica.  Some of the bindings have fallen apart so I am having them re-bound, a process I am very interested in – which I mentioned to the bindery doing it, along with my employment status.

Long story short; I am going in tomorrow for 3 hours of casual work.  I have no idea what I will be doing apart from ‘operating machinery’.  The pay is low, but will at least help with the credit card bill next month, and maybe I will pick up some interesting skills or get to do a bit more there if they like the way I work.  I am at the stage of my career where I am more interested in doing something rewarding than earning the highest rate of pay – for info it will be at about 20% of the hourly rate I get when I am doing contract work :)

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Oudis

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

26 November 2013
6.15am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5186sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said
^ Speaking of books, well, sort of.

Due to my ornery nature these days I have been ‘between contracts’ for a couple of months.  During that time, apart from Beatles catch-up expenses, I bought an old 19th century set of Encyclopaedia Britannica.  Some of the bindings have fallen apart so I am having them re-bound, a process I am very interested in – which I mentioned to the bindery doing it, along with my employment status.

Long story short; I am going in tomorrow for 3 hours of casual work.  I have no idea what I will be doing apart from ‘operating machinery’.  The pay is low, but will at least help with the credit card bill next month, and maybe I will pick up some interesting skills or get to do a bit more there if they like the way I work.  I am at the stage of my career where I am more interested in doing something rewarding than earning the highest rate of pay – for info it will be at about 20% of the hourly rate I get when I am doing contract work :)

Sounds like fun. Pleasse report back to us on this little adventure.

26 November 2013
6.41am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5187sp_Permalink sp_Print

re the library picture in the 3rd post above: that isn’t where I work, but they seem like they would be a fun group with which to work.

I couldn’t get my phone to edit the original post. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

26 November 2013
8.28pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

On itunes there is a ‘Songs For The Philippines’ compilation that has as its first track Across The Universe from Past Masters and the album version of Let It Be as the closing song. Not something you normally come across so maybe this is the outcome of The Beatles music now belonging to Universal.

It is pretty cool to see The Beatles, and Dylan, alongside a whole load of more recent artists like Beiber, Katy Perry and One Direction.

A BBC article on the album (also posted in the News thread)

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 November 2013
5.56am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
5189sp_Permalink sp_Print

Report from Apprentice Book Binder #1

Well, I survived, with only one partly blooded fingernail!!

I have been operating all sorts of machinery that looks like it was made in the 19th century, except for an awesomely big guillotine which is a hoot to operate.  So far I have learned 3 stages of the process and the magic numbers 1/3 and 7.2 – I can’t tell you what they mean – trade secrets :)

I think I have been more gainfully employed than at any other time in the past 40 years – there is some satisfaction in making ‘stuff’ rather than being in a service industry.

I must have done OK – they want me back for a few hours on Friday – I am covering for one of their staff who is away sick just now.  I may not get many more hours but maybe I can become their ‘goto’ person when they need a hand.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

27 November 2013
2.51pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
5190sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said
Report from Apprentice Book Binder #1

Well, I survived, with only one partly blooded fingernail!!

I have been operating all sorts of machinery that looks like it was made in the 19th century, except for an awesomely big guillotine which is a hoot to operate.  So far I have learned 3 stages of the process and the magic numbers 1/3 and 7.2 – I can’t tell you what they mean – trade secrets :)

I think I have been more gainfully employed than at any other time in the past 40 years – there is some satisfaction in making ‘stuff’ rather than being in a service industry.

I must have done OK – they want me back for a few hours on Friday – I am covering for one of their staff who is away sick just now.  I may not get many more hours but maybe I can become their ‘goto’ person when they need a hand.

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the experience.

27 November 2013
8.39pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
5191sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

Zig said
Thanks everyone!!

I’d take you up on it, but I don’t think my country mouse wife would want to move to New England.

Could the country mouse be more easily swayed if she knew that New England is home to some of the most heavily wooded states in the US?

• 1. Maine 85.8%
  • 2. New Hampshire 78.4%
  • 3. West Virginia: 77.2%
  • 4. Vermont: 75.7%
  • 5. Alabama: 70.6%

Oh by the way…Tennessee is 14th. So, if you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Mountains of East Tennessee, come on up to Maine. I have a house you can buy!!

a-hard-days-night-george-10

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 November 2013
8.55pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
5192sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
Thanks everyone!!

Yes, me. Well, I’ve always wanted to visit anyway :) ‘Fraid I can’t afford to buy your house of you though, as much as I’d like to.

Linde, good luck with your presentation. I have one of my own tomorrow which, when I read your post, I remembered and got angry about again. I was going to say how I could empathize, but I don’t think I’ll explain this time otherwise I’ll pick the phone up and have a go at the person (”friend’&#39a-hard-days-night-george-10 who’s messed it all up for me and the other girl. Rule learnt: always do the work on your own if you can.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

27 November 2013
10.08pm
WETSRoosa
Candlestick Park
Members
5193sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

wetsroosa said

Zig said
Thanks everyone!!

Could the country mouse be more easily swayed if she knew that New England is home to some of the most heavily wooded states in the US?

• 1. Maine 85.8%
      • 2. New Hampshire 78.4%
        • 3. West Virginia: 77.2%
          • 4. Vermont: 75.7%
            • 5. Alabama: 70.6%

Oh by the way…Tennessee is 14th. So, if you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Mountains of East Tennessee, come on up to Maine. I have a house you can buy!!

a-hard-days-night-george-10

Would love to, as I’ve always wanted to see Maine, but unfortunately… thanks for the offer, though.

28 November 2013
            1.33am
            meanmistermustard
            Members

Reviewers

Moderators
            5194sp_Permalink sp_Print

Love this. A nice Sixties Girl-ground (The Angels) song where the boyfriend is coming back and he’s gonna beat the shit out of a guy who’s been hassling the girl and spreading lies about her. 

28 November 2013
            5.35pm
            Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
            5195sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^That song pairs well with “Leave My Kitten Alone .”

28 November 2013
            6.00pm
            meanmistermustard
            Members

Reviewers

Moderators
            5196sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Yeah. Great shout.apple01

I like it because it moves away from the Girll-ground songs of he loves yeay or he left me boo-hoo. You also have Leader of the Pack where the Shangri-La’s Leader of the Pack where the death of the boyfriend is the theme of the song and off you go, and away from the Girl-groups you have Ricky Nelson’s Tell Laura I Love Her, another great song. Must be others out there. 

And a whole lot nicer themed than Run For Your Life where the boyfriend is threatening the girl for going off (love the song tho).a-hard-days-night-john-5 

28 November 2013
            7.59pm
            WETSRoosa
            Candlestick Park
            Members
            5197sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

I like it because it moves away from the Girll-ground songs of he loves yeay or he left me boo-hoo. You also have Leader of the Pack where the Shangri-La’s Leader of the Pack where the death of the boyfriend is the theme of the song and off you go, and away from the Girl-groups you have Ricky Nelson’s Tell Laura I Love Her, another great song. Must be others out there. 

And a whole lot nicer themed than Run For Your Life where the boyfriend is threatening the girl for going off (love the song tho).a-hard-days-night-john-5 

I think John actually admitted years later that he hated that “Run For Your Life ” was on Rubber Soul  because the song’s alluding to violence stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the album’s peace-themed songwriting.

28 November 2013
            8.20pm
            meanmistermustard
            Members

Reviewers

Moderators
            5198sp_Permalink sp_Print

wetsroosa said

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

I think John actually admitted years later that he hated that “Run For Your Life ” was on Rubber Soul  because the song’s alluding to violence stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the album’s peace-themed songwriting.

Yip but John disliked a lot of his Beatles songs so i tend to ignore his opinion on them. He had a real hatred for It’s Only Love and that is one of my favourites and And Your Bird Can Sing is a highlight of Revolver but not for John. Sorry John.a-hard-days-night-john-7

28 November 2013
            8.33pm
            fabfouremily
            Sitting in an English garden
            Rishikesh
            Members
            Forum Posts: 2929
            5199sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s Only Love is one of your favourites? How come? I mean it’s a decent enough song, if you ignore parts of the lyrics, but what makes it so special to you? – if you don’t mind me asking.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

29 November 2013
            1.22am
            WETSRoosa
            Candlestick Park
            Members
            5200sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 3 year old is discovering A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving for the first time. So far, he’s laughed out loud at the Snoopy vs. the lawn chair scene, and Snoopy preparing Thanksgiving with the toast and popcorn. Just like how his daddy worshipped at the altar of Charles Schulz (and still does), now hopefully my little boy will do the same. A Charlie Brown Christmas airs this coming Monday, so it’s another chance for him to enjoy Snoopy. brian-epstein

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
            Most Users Ever Online: 700
            Currently Online: Timpetus
            Guest(s) 1
            Top Posters:
            Starr Shine?: 16105
            Ron Nasty: 12534
            Zig: 9832
            50yearslate: 8759
            Necko: 8043
            AppleScruffJunior: 7583
            parlance: 7111
            mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
            Mr. Kite: 6147
            trcanberra: 6064
            Member Stats:
            Guest Posters: 88
            Members: 2858
            Moderators: 5
            Admins: 1
            Forum Stats:
            Groups: 3
            Forums: 44
            Topics: 5518
            Newest Members:
            katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
            Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24960, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
            Administrators: Joe: 5694